Chubaka's Axial SCX10ii lifes journey

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubaka

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Bought this Axial SCX10ii as a 2000 Jeep XJ kit. Ordered around November 20, 2018.

Below is the end results of the build through 2019.
full

full

The next set of pictures is the second phase. Chevy Colorado, eventually in Uhaul trim.

full

Asphalt piles are the easiest mound to climb.
full

full

The next set of photos has the beacon light, cooler, pallet, and chainsaw. I crawled all around amd in the pond when they dug it out. 1 month and a few days later a sinkhole swallowed those dump trucks.

full

full

Had an axle that liked to slide in and out. Did excelent power brakes.

January 2020 I refreshed with a Proline Chevy Silverado body.

full

Been in mud and standing and running water.
full

Even in frost.
full

Uhaul on the rocks Feb. 2020
full

Below was during and after the hurricane

full

full

I ran an old 3 ch Traxxas 2.4, in 2020 I replaced with a newer 2ch Traxxas. The esc and motor in the beginning was a factory scx10ii brushed esc and various turn $10 RC4wd and axial motors. On occasion was the OG castle mamba esc and a trinity 4050kv if memory serves right. All of 2022 was a Castle Creations Copperhead 10 with a 2080kv motor. In march, 3 months in, I snapped my 3 rear locker bolts. Servo has always been a Tactic tsx45. Smc graphene 5200 3s is the power behind it all.

full

When I get a new phone, I plan to document the miles I put on it.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Shes been good. A bad rx tx and a old esc got my anxiety going. After some newer electronics, over all shes been pretty good.

So far, I broke the servo mount in 2 places, plastic rod end, rear spool and shafts, and some screws. One of the most durable trucks I have.

Shes back in kit form for a wash and all fluids and grease.

Truck as of now. The shocks, axles, and gears are getting cleaned. The chassis has been and so has the precious metals: STRC chassis brace, shock towers, and servo mount. RC4WD made the ARB diff covers. I can't remember the brand for the brass lower spring retainers.

20221020_114611.jpg

20221020_114619.jpg

Nice, makes me think I should go through and put pictures together of what I've done to my sport since I got it.
Do it! Then look through the changes. Just dont add up prices.

I put her back together. I have a new ar44 coming to repair the rear housing, front drives, diff and knuckles. Looking at treal brass in the future. Also gonna make or buy inner fender/wheel well so I can fling some mud and not cover the insides. I also need to add the gas cap and spout assembly.

The new shoes are awesome. In rwd and not getting stuck or hung up. A little more on the throttle and they scream for mercy.

By this weekend the fenders and roof will be replastidipped. I also need to cut out a lightbar mount so it can be bolted.

20221111_134327.jpg

20221111_134359.jpg

Took her for an hour long cruise on Thursday. Towards the end I hit a side walk slab that was lifted up 2 or 3 inches. I was going out full throttle about 50-100 feet and returning. Full speed, roughly 15mph, I stopped instantly, truck raising over it about 6 or so inches in air, rear raised more then front. Roof rack retracted and caused spare parts box to get ejected. Some dents in the bumper and a scuffed driff cover only visable damage.

First off, the legal stuff. I got a temp tag. Permanent Florida plate in the works.😁
full

full

The cardboard box is now green. In it is spare parts and some basic tools.
full

A sinking feeling.
full

Damage to the front end. That bumper has seen a few wood crates and a steel safety rail more times then admitted.

full

Had a screw come out of the first brace and bumper mount. I decided to drive it for a few minutes and a crate bit back. Just the lightest tap while spinning out of control from a failed drift.

The chassis rail is sanwiched between an STRC HD shock tower and an STRC servo mount both being aluminum.

20221121_150634.jpg

20221121_150637.jpg

20221121_151002.jpg

That crate has got a bad attitude, I can tell by just lookin' at it. :stick:
😂🤣
I agree.
First time in 8 weeks I hit it. I think it could have also been bored.😁😐

Took her out for a spin. It appears I have the issued copperhead 10. Mine hit lvc after 45 minutes to an hour. Factory 10.2 with ax10 tranny on a 21 tooth pinion and a 2080kv. There was momemts I had to drive reverse as it was the only working option. If you get it to go forward, the second you lay off its more than likely gonna go at about 10% throttle for 2 feet then locks. Reverse usually resets it, could be 5 minutes, could be 20 or even 2 seconds. According to research its the esc software. Might go Tekin 1rst quarter 2023.

Pics below, hour 20 minutes, maybe 4 or 5 miles.

Bent chassis. Yes I did pull one rail off and left it a twisted mess. 😁

full

full

Used a vice, torch, small locking plyers amd my knife to fix it. I had the tranny part of the chassis locked in the vice. I heated it and used locking pliers to hold the bent end to bend ot back. My knife, a S&W M&P, I used the metal tip for breaking windows to push the bect part in and used the pliers to pull up on the bent side. On the road, if its at an angle and that angle runs towards the drivers side the truck will pull. On normal ground not as much.

full

Some mud. I have inner fenders in NJ at the moment. When they arrive she will get drenched

full

She leaves rubber off the line.

full

Some updates. Shoe goo'd a radiator, added decals, and created a badge. The badge is painted lexan with a sticker on it shoe goo'd in place. Also creating a box. I'm painting it as a U.S. Army weapons crate.

20221130_161226.jpg

20221130_161236.jpg

20221130_161320.jpg

Added a reflector to hide the screws for the grill. Also added plates so my Dodge Dart FHP keeps it moving. Daylight only driving until I get a tag light.

Also have inner fenders for the green Cherokee. Looking at buying another Axial Cherokee and Wrangler clear bodies as my current is tearing.

20221209_154527.jpg

20221209_154923.jpg

20221209_154643.jpg

Went out today. Phone says I drove 4 miles. But there's was times the truck was moving and I was standing.

I would like to state this first. This roof rack and cargo net straight up rocks!

Some under bridge shots by the river.

Can you Trx 4 flatten road signs? 😁😇🤪

First explore after the hurricanes. I found multiple holes and dips. The largest was 3-3.5 feet deep. I feel in driving from a distance. The bulky Axial body kept it from hitting rock bottom.

Finishing up with some donuts.

Gonna bring the gopro next time and yank upclose action shots from the video. I also have a complete ar44 encounter for some 4x4.

@Doom! Tried to get some rooster shots but my mud spot is all dry. I dub it "Florida Salt Flat"

Awesome. How many packs did you burn through to go 4+ miles?

Awesome. How many packs did you burn through to go 4+ miles?
It said 1.5 hours for that, and I hit lvc 20 minutes from home it went off once and not again. I think I have the copperhead 10 that prematurely hits lvc. With that said I drove it to and from home on the same battery. Very fuel efficent with the gear reductions of a crawler, my top speed on 3s is 19 or 20mph.
It was calm driving, full speed passes, and alot of tire spinning. I have the ax10 tranny with a 21 tooth pinion, castle 2280kv, smc 3s 5200mah.

I plan on another 3s of the same size and running 8-10 mile round trip in January. After that I'm going 4s to try.

Back