Choices on/off road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenolin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I haven't decided yet which I want first. I'd love to custom build a car however time simply doesn't agree to that as I have too many other projects and a 2 year old son so at this time a RTR setup over a kit. Not intending to race but more for general fun.

The HPI Nitro RS4 EVO (w/65 GT350 body) with the T3.0 engine and 2-speed transmission is my 1st choice. I'm more of a "car guy" and know I'd love blasting this up and down the street as well as drifting it around on our court. I also want this to try and build a custom body to match our classic 68 Mustang / Shelby.

The HPI Nitro Firestorm 10T is my 2nd choice and would likely get much more use on our 1 acre lot with backyard use. I can also see this being packed back on a few of our short hike campsites. From what I've read its also tough as nails so allowing friends and kids play with it would likely result in less damage then the street EVO.

I know the Firestorm would get a lot more use however I have a primary reason for the EVO in that it would allow me to start working on a custom body. I spent 2 years building the real car for the wife and she's been saying that she'd love to have a scaled model of it. I naturally think a scaled R/C model for added fun!

I think I just reasoned myself into the EVO first. :hehe: Happy wife; Happy Life. ;) Guess I now have to start thinking of fiberglass, lexan or aluminum for the body and exactly how to go about it. :\ Wish they had a 67 or 68 body as that would help a lot.

Honestly the evo would be the last choice of the two simply because there's only so much you can do on road. Yeah doing speed runs is fun but as stated before you can't jump an evo. The firestorm is a solid truck that would be more versatile because you can drive it almost anywhere. My suggestion is to get the wife a very nice metal 67 or 68 model and get yourself the firestorm. Two birds with one stone. Hope this helps, Steve.

Srusinek I was thinking along those lines but I know the wife would be thrilled to see the mini replica of her award winning car sitting on the roof at the shows.. plus its added points at shows. Not to mention starting it up and having it do a few donuts for the kids at the show and the envy of a few other car owners. ;)

We already have a number of die-casts however there is a ton of custom bodywork done on her car. So much so that I'd have to cut up 3 or 4 dia-casts, solder/weld together, leading and shaping, sanding, etc to have it match.

I might have to say screw it and just buy both now :whhooo:

Hey adren you should get an 8th scale kyosho gt 2 race spec and put a nova Rossi nova Roma .25 engine Or just get a picco .28 JL turbo and an ofna 86 pipe set up . That's the hot set up! Tons and tons of power. Lots of fun!

Well I haven't decided yet which I want first. I'd love to custom build a car however time simply doesn't agree to that as I have too many other projects and a 2 year old son so at this time a RTR setup over a kit. Not intending to race but more for general fun.

The HPI Nitro RS4 EVO (w/65 GT350 body) with the T3.0 engine and 2-speed transmission is my 1st choice. I'm more of a "car guy" and know I'd love blasting this up and down the street as well as drifting it around on our court. I also want this to try and build a custom body to match our classic 68 Mustang / Shelby.

The HPI Nitro Firestorm 10T is my 2nd choice and would likely get much more use on our 1 acre lot with backyard use. I can also see this being packed back on a few of our short hike campsites. From what I've read its also tough as nails so allowing friends and kids play with it would likely result in less damage then the street EVO.

I know the Firestorm would get a lot more use however I have a primary reason for the EVO in that it would allow me to start working on a custom body. I spent 2 years building the real car for the wife and she's been saying that she'd love to have a scaled model of it. I naturally think a scaled R/C model for added fun!

I think I just reasoned myself into the EVO first. :hehe: Happy wife; Happy Life. ;) Guess I now have to start thinking of fiberglass, lexan or aluminum for the body and exactly how to go about it. :\ Wish they had a 67 or 68 body as that would help a lot.

I have a Traxxas 4-Tec on-road car & I love it. But it just doesent see alot of Run time & sit's on my R/C shelf alot of the time because I run alot of my Off-Road Ri'g's.. So I wouldent get an EVO HPI Firestorms are nice Rig's but I bought HPI's NEW BULLET both in Electric & Nitro & WOW this rig is fun as hell to Bash with it & now I run my Bullet more than my T-MAXX & my T-MAXX is my pride & joy Rig.. Or you I'd go with a SCT I also have the LOSI XXX SCT & this Rig too is awesome to drive & out of my 3 friends I bash with 2 of them have XXX's & love em;)

I'd like to stick with the 1/10 scale. The 1/8 and 1/5 are both larger then I'm looking for. Neither would see a lot of run time as I simply don't have that much free time and what I do have is usually spent with the family. While the off-road would get more use I'd say they'd be lucky to see 10 - 12 sessions a year to be honest.

I like the idea of running a Gasoline engine but WOW does the cost go up and not much in the 1/10 scale from what I can find.

gt2racespec.. I'm in Delaware.. just south of the canal for anyone closer. I'm about dead center between 2 R/C shops which are about 35 minutes N & S of me so I might have to check them out and see what local shop prices are. If the differences aren't much I prefer buying locally.

I think I'm leaning towards the Firestorm first, especially if its available locally... it could simply come home with me. Still want the on-road HPI as well and don't see putting it off to much longer either.

btw.. ALL the suggestions you gave me rocked! My father tells me today he is thinking of getting some type of r/c boat since they just moved and the property backs to a small lake/very large pond.

Well I decided the other day and ordered a HPI Nitro Firestorm from a local shop. They matched the online prices I found and I'll purchase the nitro fuel as well as any odds 'n ends from them while there. Picking up the rtr Firestorm on Tuesday but plan to read through the manual before hand.

I picked up a cracked EVO 66 Mustang body shell from a guy at a local park the other day. Shear luck running into him there as he wasn't running his rig but was moving things around in his trunk as we walked by. Started talking to him and he reached in, pulled the shell out and passed it to me saying it sounded like a cool project. So now I can use the shell over the fall/winter to help create the custom body I want to match the car in my profile pic.

Well I decided the other day and ordered a HPI Nitro Firestorm from a local shop. They matched the online prices I found and I'll purchase the nitro fuel as well as any odds 'n ends from them while there. Picking up the rtr Firestorm on Tuesday but plan to read through the manual before hand.

I picked up a cracked EVO 66 Mustang body shell from a guy at a local park the other day. Shear luck running into him there as he wasn't running his rig but was moving things around in his trunk as we walked by. Started talking to him and he reached in, pulled the shell out and passed it to me saying it sounded like a cool project. So now I can use the shell over the fall/winter to help create the custom body I want to match the car in my profile pic.

Nice pick the HPI Firestorm is a nice RIG to drive I have the HPI Bullet MY Rig myself...
Just an FYI for you since you live in Delaware I will be be in DOVER for the NASCAR Chace Race in Spetember & bringing my RV staying in an RV lot the hole wekend.. So if your close to DOVER & want to meet up for some Bashing I am game for it... Send me a PM if interested but enjoy your RIG in the mean time

Back