Charging Lipos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

A few weeks back I ordered a couple of 2S lipos and a new hyperion 720i duo charger. The packs I have 5000 mah 50C 2S 7.4v hard case Lipo packs. The packs shipped with a store charge on them. I thought I would be able to figure out how to charge them... but I am having some difficulty. The charger came with a bunch of balance boards and I am unable to determine which one to use with my packs. Second, I am having a hard time finding out at which rate would be better to charge at... I am reading that most folks go with 1x the charge rate so I would be charging at 5mah? Also this charger is pretty complicated. What do you set the trickle charge to be on a lipo battery? So many questions! LOL I will figure this out... but I guess I am going to need some expert help to do so! LOL thank you!

Tom

Best to always charge LiPo's at 1C so yours would charge at 5amps.

Need to know what brand packs you have in order to determine what balance board you should be using.

I will get that info for you. Thank you.

Hey Guys,

Here is the conectors that came with my batteries. I have attached a picture of the type of connectors and the batteries themselves. Thanks guys.

Tom

100_3868.jpg

100_3826.jpg

Balance tap is JST-XH which is the same as the Align so you should use the Hyperion XH balance board.

Simple procedure for charging on your Hyperion: (This is how it is on my 720i and I'm assuming its the same for the Duo)

I hope I did not leave anything out. The good thing is that once you set all your values for your pack in a memory spot, you can skip to #10 to charge.

Note: Press ENTER to change a value and ENTER again to exit once the value is changed

1. Select which memory spot to use by pressing ENTER and scrolling up or down to the desired spot. Press ENTER again once selected.

2. Press DOWN to go to BATTERY TYPE. Change to LiPo. (See Note)

3. Press DOWN to go to BATTERY VOLTS. Change to how many cells you have. In your case 2S. (See Note)

4. Press DOWN to go to BATTERY CAPACITY. Change to how many mah your pack has. In your case 5000mah. (See Note)

5. Press DOWN to go to CHARGE CURRENT. Your charger should have automatically selected 1C of your battery capacity. In your case 5amps.

6. Press DOWN to go to TEMPERATURE. You do not have to bother with this one.

7. Press DOWN to go to SAFETY TIMER. You do not have to bother with this one.

7. Press DOWN to go to TCS CAPACITY. This is where you set the max percentage of charge for your pack. 100% capacity is where it should be. If you want your packs to last longer, you can set it to 95% of capacity. (See Note)

8. Press DOWN to go to TCS END ACTION. It should read CONTINUE. Just leave it.

9. The other to thing you can change are TVC and DISCHARGE CURRENT. Leave these alone.

10. You are now ready to charge.

11. Plug in your battery. I always plug the balance tap in and then the main lead. It will work either way though.

12. Now press and hold ENTER until the charger beeps. Once it beeps the display will read CHARGE and SOLO. If you charging only, then leave it alone. If your are wanting to use STORE mode, press DOWN and it should then read STORE and SOLO.

13. Press and hold ENTER again until the charger beeps. Charger checks your pack and displays the cell count which in your case should show 2S. If not, then there is a problem with the pack.

14. Press ENTER and the charger will make 3 beeps and start charging.

After about 30 seconds of starting the charge, the charger will beep twice. Don't really know why, but it doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell. Yours may not so don't be concerned if it doesn't.

When the pack is finished charging, the charger will chime to let you know. Press and hold ENTER until the screen changes and unplug your battery.

Hey Rob,

Thank you for the very detailed instructions. I know that had to take some time, and I really apreciate it. I will print these out and give it a shot. Your instructions are very well written so I am sure I will have no problems! Once I have finished charging and using the batteries should I go ahead and charge the battery in store mode? I don't always get the chance to run every weekend so they may go a few weeks between usage. Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
If you aren't using the batteries for a few days, then you should use store mode. Sometimes a few days can easily turn into a few weeks or more.

If you aren't using the batteries for a few days, then you should use store mode. Sometimes a few days can easily turn into a few weeks or more.

For me that is definitely the case! Once in store mode, I would need to charge and balance to 100% capacity before I use the batteries correct? The next task now that I have the charge steps is getting the Novak speedo's into lipo cutoff mode. Now is the cutoff voltage set from the factory at a certain voltage or is this something I will need to set as well? Thanks

Tom

Charge them up before running.

If your ESC has a LiPo mode, then the cutoff is preset at the factory. The instructions should note what the cutoff voltage is set at from the factory. It may also be adjustable, but I am not familiar with the newer Novak stuff.