Carb Swap on LRP .32 - Plz Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WT119

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello all, I recently purchased a LRP ZR.32 For my Savage XL and I heard from multiple sources and even this forum that the carb is notoriously bad at holding a tune.

so what are good alternatives from the stock XTEC carb on these things?

I ALREADY KNOW the NovaR .28 Carb is basically the saving grace for this engine and it’s what I personally want. (From doing research on this forum, a lot of people throw the nova carb on after a 1mm shave and their .32 starts holding a tune like a dream) BUT I cannot get my hands on one for the life of me.
I’ve been searching eBay and other hobbysites in the US and just can’t find a nova carb at all! Hell, I can’t even find a .28 Nova engine listed anywhere as is.

so, back to the point.
What are other decent carbs can I put on the LRP zr.32 (without heavy modification) that will help me avoid tuning issues?

TL;DR
Will probably need a better carb for the ZR.32

Can’t find a Novarossi carb anywhere....
What else can I do?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello all, I recently purchased a LRP ZR.32 For my Savage XL and I heard from multiple sources and even this forum that the carb is notoriously bad at holding a tune.

I ALREADY KNOW the NovaR .28 Carb is basically the saving grace for this engine and it’s what I personally want. (From doing research on this forum, a lot of people throw the nova carb on after a 1mm shave and their .32 starts holding a tune like a dream) BUT I cannot get my hands on one for the life of me.
I’ve been searching eBay and other hobbysites in the US and just can’t find a nova carb at all! Hell, I can’t even find a .28 Nova engine listed anywhere as is.

so, back to the point.
What are other decent carbs can I put on the LRP zr.32 (without heavy modification) that will help me avoid tuning issues?

TL;DR

What else can I do?

Thanks for any advice!

I can only tell you that NovaRossi is out of business ,those parts for them is hard to
find ,an the people that do have those parts are jacking up the prices at triple amount
to make that dollar as a scam!
Maybe there is a cross reference carb. or a mod to that carb!..:thumbs-up:

I can only tell you that NovaRossi is out of business ,those parts for them is hard to
find ,an the people that do have those parts are jacking up the prices at triple amount
to make that dollar as a scam!
Maybe there is a cross reference carb. or a mod to that carb!..:thumbs-up:
I was sad to see all the nova stuff out of stock everywhere, so I kinda figured as much 😭
and yea I saw a 28.8 carb listed in Mexico for $149 and 25$ shipping on some shady site but that’s it (it looked pretty used aswell).. its such a scam.

I was hoping to find one of the 2 aswell.
If someone has the LRP .30 or .32 with a non-stock carb that isn’t a Nova, then please share!!!

or maybe if some veteran can come save the day with a stock carb mod to make it do its job properly lol

Last edited:
I was sad to see all the nova stuff out of stock everywhere, so I kinda figured as much 😭
and yea I saw a 28.8 carb listed in Mexico for $149 and 25$ shipping on some shady site but that’s it (it looked pretty used aswell).. its such a scam.

I was hoping to find one of the 2 aswell.
If someone has the LRP .30 or .32 with a non-stock carb that isn’t a Nova, then please share!!!

or maybe if some veteran can come save the day with a stock carb mod to make it do its job properly lol

I was looking at an HPI carb ,but since Traxxas screwed them over ,it turned my HPI
stuff into a paper weight!..:mad:

I have a zr32 that wont run. I need to look into this. I would think all that has to match is the base and throat so it goes into the case and moves enough air.

I have a zr32 that wont run. I need to look into this. I would think all that has to match is the base and throat so it goes into the case and moves enough air.

Yea ,I been searching now ,there has got to be another brand carb ,in which the manufactures
really did not venture away from the carb throat size itself ,I myself has been using an AE or Thunder
Tiger carbs for other engines as they are more reliable!...:thumbs-up:

Last edited:
to start
replacement part fits Slide Carburetor - ZR.28-32 Spec.4 Pullstart
so a donor could be a more common .28.

I was looking at an HPI carb ,but since Traxxas screwed them over ,it turned my HPI
stuff into a paper weight!..:mad:
What do you mean? i know traxxas has been rough housing with other companys for years but are they truly killing off their competiters like that now?

Whats goin on with it? Tuning issues or somthing else?
And yes! thats what i was thinking but i dont want to order a $120+ on a .28 engine just to find the carb isnt going to work for my application.
I did a quick search on ebay to see if i could find a donor .28. or even a .28 carb. and there is little to none used. none new for less than 100$... eBay Search ".28 Nitro engines"

If the .32 uses the same size as other .28 engines then i could get any .28 carb right?
idk > the novarossi .28 carb is reccomended for the zr32 all over this forum, but it needs 1mm shaved off the base to fit right and operate right. So if i get any other carb, i wonder what type of mods i might need to do in order to make it fit.

to start
replacement part fits Slide Carburetor - ZR.28-32 Spec.4 Pullstart
so a donor could be a more common .28.
I wanted to assume this but idk what donor engine to get if i can even get one.
i assume a SH .28 might work but it sucks having to buy a whole motor just to take the carb off of it. then I'm stuck with a probably new engine that now doesn't have a carb. so almost kinda back in the same spot. Finding a alternative carb for a .28 instead though 🤣

EDIT: I called a friend from my old neighborhood and he has a dead sh.28 lying around with a carb that he doesn't use. he said he would give it to me for 30$ (whole motor).
SHOULD I DO THIS? Do you think thr SH.28 Carb would work or no?

Yea ,I been searching now ,there has got to be another brand carb ,in which the manufactures
really did not venture away from the carb throat size itself ,I myself has been using an AE or Thunder
Tiger carbs for other engines as they are more reliable!...:thumbs-up:
i was hoping it was a standard size but unsure as i dont have the motor in my physical possesion yet so i can't measure and such.

Does anyone know why the stock LRP ZR.32 Carb sucks at holding a tune? is it because its not thermally protected like its ZR.32X counterpart? or what.
I ordered a Fuel cooler too to see if that will help aswell as doing a HalfTank Lean Mod.

I also ordered 30% nitro with 10% oil to hopefully help the 'tuneability'

Last edited:
Small update: My friend from my old neighborhood responded on Facebook Messaenger and said he has a Dead SH.28 Motor lying around with the carb on it. he said he can sell me the whole motor for 30$>
Should i do this? Do you think it will fit porperly, and tune better than the stock carb?
i dont think my friend knows the value of what he has 🤣
( One mans junk, Is another mans treasure.)

Last edited:
Small update: My friend from my old neighborhood responded on Facebook Messaenger and said he has a Dead SH.28 Motor lying around with the carb on it. he said he can sell me the whole motor for 30$>
Should i do this? Do you think it will fit porperly, and tune better than the stock carb?
A brand new carb for that engine is only 24.99 at Amain and it is in stock. So I would pass.
Someone needs to take a caliper to a ZR32 and measure the carb throat and the base.

( One mans junk, Is another mans treasure.)

Its a gamble ,carb may not even fit!..🤔

I responded to like 4 posts at once but its pending mod approval, guessing cause i posted a ebay link 🤣

A brand new carb for that engine is only 24.99 at Amain and it is in stock. So I would pass.
Someone needs to take a caliper to a ZR32 and measure the carb throat and the base.
Oh that litterally did not pop up in my google at all with different ways of typing it... strange.
After you posted that, i did find it by searching on amains site itself.
Its a gamble ,carb may not even fit!..🤔
You are very correct and I'm bitting my nails wanting to hit the place order button now that i know i can get the SH.28 carb from amain thanks to our dear friend Ned but dont want to risk it not working for me.

SO, Because of my impatience, and the coincidence that my new ZR.32 will arrive in the mail Tommorow (Technically today if your in the east coast, its 12:38am lol.)
I ordered a 10$ pair of mm calipers. on amazon and they will prime here Thursaday. (sadness)

So if no-one else can provide the measurment, then i will be the one to finally break the ice!
( At that point ill need the sizes of the SH.28 Carb lol )

I responded to like 4 posts at once but its pending mod approval, guessing cause i posted a ebay link 🤣

Oh that litterally did not pop up in my google at all with different ways of typing it... strange.
After you posted that, i did find it by searching on amains site itself.

You are very correct and I'm bitting my nails wanting to hit the place order button now that i know i can get the SH.28 carb from amain thanks to our dear friend Ned but dont want to risk it not working for me.

SO, Because of my impatience, and the coincidence that my new ZR.32 will arrive in the mail Tommorow (Technically today if your in the east coast, its 12:38am lol.)
I ordered a 10$ pair of mm calipers. on amazon and they will prime here Thursaday. (sadness)

So if no-one else can provide the measurment, then i will be the one to finally break the ice!
( At that point ill need the sizes of the SH.28 Carb lol )
Then you go measure the one the guy is selling. I dont think a dead SH engine is a hot seller.

Then you go measure the one the guy is selling. I dont think a dead SH engine is a hot seller.
I agree. He said it was just low on compression so he replaced it with a ofna, so maybe it can be a opportunity for me to learn to repinch or a cool little side project to replace the sleve and poston. Seems the parts are available and cheap. i told him to hold onto it incase i come down his way since its about a 50min drive. i can't find many 'used' engines like that and I've always wanted to rebuild one for s**ts and giggles even if it was unpractical. i just love working on nitro engines idk why.

back on topic: ill wait for my products to arrive and then measure and post here for sure.
can anyone else post a .28 carb dimensions if they happen to have one and read these posts?

I bought my first set of calipers a decade and a half ago and I still use them fairly often to this day. Very handy tool to have. youll find all kinds of reasons to use those once you get them. :)

The LRP carb has a 9mm throat. That is pretty large.
For example the ones on Amain go from 6 to 9 mm in 1/2mm steps.

My engine seems to have a persistent air leak. It just revs once it is hot.

Just so you all know. No the SH .28 carb doesn't fit on the LRP .32. I am also looking for a replacement option. I know this is old but I wanted to say this just incase others found it.

so, back to the point.

TL;DR

What else can I do?

Thanks for any advice!
14.95 mm od and 9.9mm deep