Can't wait to fly this!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My dad been just finished his electric plane he got a month ago. It's called "the big bubble." It's made out of some kind of foam material which makes the plane really REALLY light. He got all the good stuff, brushless motor, 3-cell li-poly battery, 5 mini servos.

It's a 3D plane. Should be a TOTAL blast to fly. Should hover and do all these crazy things I can't do...but it's nice to know it can, lol. But anyhoo, I get to do the first flight since i'm the better flier. Hoping maybe the weather tomorrow is good, but I live in washington state and it's winter :(

Anyhoo, check out the pictures:

657DSCN0856.JPG

657DSCN0861.JPG

657DSCN0857.JPG

657DSCN0860.JPG

It's similiar to styrophome, but it's a lot lighter and stronger. I'd have to ask my dad on what it's made of.

Looks like styrofoam to me too. Reminds me of those big styrofoam planes they throw around in the mall around Christmas time.

It's probably more similar to expanded polypropolene (EPP). They are using a lot of materials in that class because you can basically lawn dart the plane and it will pretty much just bounce. And when starting out in 3D I think that's a good idea. Looks like it will fly pretty cool. I hope you enjoy it...

Candyman said:
It's probably more similar to expanded polypropolene (EPP). They are using a lot of materials in that class because you can basically lawn dart the plane and it will pretty much just bounce. And when starting out in 3D I think that's a good idea. Looks like it will fly pretty cool. I hope you enjoy it...

I think that's the stuff it's made out of.

That will be fun Kwong! Just fly it on low rates the first time. I have that JR 8103 also and it is great. What kind of lipo batteries to you have?

The li-poly says Thunder Power 1320mah/11.1v....dunno li-poly's all that well.

Funny you should mention low and high rates. When my dad setup the radio, he was asking me if 45 degrees for high rates, and 35 degrees for low rates seemed too much. Now, the control surfaces are AT LEAST 2 inches on the ailerons, everywhere else, it's like 3 -5 inches!!!

I've found usually the instruction manual recommends WAY to much control throws, So I have him set the low rates at about 25 degrees and high at 30 degrees. Should get pretty interesting. I have a feeling it's gonna be too much. I'm just hoping the expo is setup enough to compensate.

Thunder power and E-tec are the best li-poly celss imo, so you will be real happy. For real 3-d (hovering, waterfalls, flat spins, etc) you will need 40-45° on aileron and elevator, and 45 or more on the rudder if you can get it. If the plane gets moving more than 20 mph it may be uncontrollable at those rates. So for low rates try 20°. You wont see much difference between 25 and 30°.

For expo I run 40-50% on hi rates and maybe 20 on low.

Alright, i'll try those rates. How fast do you think I should fly the speed at max? Not sure how much those planes can take, i'm a pattern guy.

Well I just got back from the flying field. The plane flew pretty good. But the setup is totally different than any plane i've flown. I think you're right scott, about 45 degrees of throw and a whole bunch of expo.

The plane flew a bit funny the way my dad set it up. We found some fludder on the rudder at high speeds. it was caused by the small control horns my dad installed. A pattern friend of ours was down at the field flying his double vision so we had him fly our plane and he gave my dad some good tips.

My dad will tweak the setup a little bit over the week then maybe next weekend we can fly the plane again.

Also, the guy with the pattern plane, he had a foam airplane similiar to a shockflier, and he let me fly it. That plane flew so nice. I could actually hover it for a few seconds. But he had a lot of throw and expo. So we'll be trying to copy it a bit.

I just don't know how to setup my dad's plane so it is easy to fly. Cuz it's easy to fly when you're messing around, but landing is a bit tricky.

Hey Kwong2001, I had a little problem landing my Xplane. I was fighting with it to land and now I line myself up and cut the power at about 5 feet off the ground. I then turn off expo and leave the controls at neutral and let the air speed drop and she just glides right in now. Just a thought.

Scott.

Well the CG was a little too far forward, so landings were a bit tricky. If the plane didn't have any power, it would stall.

On the first flight, i had it a half a foot off the runway with the throttle off, I pulled full elevator and it stalled out and just settled down. Did the same thing on the second flight but had a little more speed and was more gentle about it and did a perfect landing. Right now it's just about getting the controls setup the way I want it.

I really can't wait for my dad to fix the plane so we can fly it again. Next time I wanna bring my Tai Ji 40 pattern plane and do some pattery flying.

Thats cool kwong. How long does it go on a charge?

I have a thread here in planes somewhere about my Insane Foamies planes, which may be similar to what you flew. I am just about finished building my 3rd one. I crash the hell out of them, so they are dead after 2-3 months.

For landing, try catching it. I fly my foamies to myself real slow, in a harrier at about 30° up, and just grab the wing.

On a charge? You mean at speed? Well, I mainly flew it near stall speed. Anything above half throttle and you'd get some serious flutter on the rudder. It has to do with the linkage setup.

We'll program the radio completely differently next time so it should fly better.

Forward cg makes it land nose down and fast. If it comes in nose high and slow, the cg is probably back. You want to put the cg back for 3d flying, until it becomes too unstable (pitch sensitive) or too hard to land. Hold the plane up with your fingertips on the underside of the wing. Neutral balance is in the center of the wing width. My foamies balance at the aileron hinge, which is insane by normal standards, but perfect for a 14 oz feather with 25 oz of thrust! Whoo hoo! :breakdown

Hmm, rudder flutter sucks and can even cause a crash. Several things can contribute - too much throw, digital servos, long or sloppy linkage, loose servo, too far back cg. Try reducing throw with the linkage first, rather than endpoint adjustment on the radio. Then make sure the servo has a real solid mount.

I should have said netral balance is approximately the center of the wing but not necessarily. Most planes need the cg just ahead of the wing midpoint for stability.

Check the plans that came with it for a balance point. If there's nothing listed, look under the wing for an indicator.
I have quite a few planes, and other than the jets, the balance is always 1/3 of the wing chord.
That means, if the chord is 6" at the root (widest point) then the plane should balance 2" back from the leading edge.
Going slightly forward or back from this is to change it for your preference of flying. Behind the CG will make it more unstable, but more aerobatic. Forward of CG makes it smoother and more controlable but also requires faster landings.

Rolex said:
.I have quite a few planes, and other than the jets, the balance is always 1/3 of the wing chord.

Thats only true if you want it to be stable, to go up and down when you tell it to, and to land under control. Who wants that crap? :shrug: Actually it sounds like his cg is too far back already.

J/K rolex, but foamies are really different. The flat wing is not an airfoil - uhh, wait, i better look at his pics again.

Yep, those wings are a symmetrical airfoil. Well Kwong, try moving the cg forward until it is more stable. You can alwys move it back when you are ready for 3d stuff.

Back