can't get motor to start on my Jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draggo42684

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've did several starts, got the engine to run once for a few seconds then died out. It's locking up alot and I have no clue what to do to get it to run, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've taken out the glow plug and it's not fouled out or anything either, I'm not sure when the piston is in the down position cause it's always in the same spot when it locks up.

Is it a new mill? You need to heat the cooling head up to 180F with a hair dryer with aluminum foil over the cooling head and it should start with no problem and it won't lock up on you then.

It might be flooding on you.

Last edited:
I got it running today, it was the low speed needle, it needed to be tightened all the way and backed off 1.5 turns. However I beated on the car alot with wheelies and it flipped over alot and F'ed up my glow plug wire whats the best way to fix this? I just got this recently and already messed it up. I broke the motor in properly before I started beating on it.

Cut off the wire and get a proper/normal glow heater. It will help your starter battery last a lot longer anyway. Should also give you quicker starts.

Cut off the wire and get a proper/normal glow heater. It will help your starter battery last a lot longer anyway. Should also give you quicker starts.

how would I go about doing this? Is there a thread on how to do this mod?

Don't know... but basically, if you really want to do it, just follow the blue wire going to the glow plug up to the block where the other wires go, then cut it off right there so it isn't dangling around.

Then buy one of these:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN1955

I proffer that kind vs this kind:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=DYN1925

The first one locks onto the glowplug with a twist. The second holds on with pressure from a spring, but for me, those kinds don't last as long and don't hold onto the plug as well.

Before starting the engine, get it primed and ready to go, then put the heater on the plug, let it sit for a couple seconds to heat the plug up nice and hot, then start the engine. Once the engine is running, you take it off the engine and go.

I charge mine about once every two bash weekends and I run it dead once a month on an old glowplug that I don't care about and do a full charge on it to cycle the battery. Seems to last a long time that way.

Awesome, sounds simple enough. I hate that blue wire anyway, it's a pain in the butt.

I snipped the blue wire and taped it with electrical tape and bought the glow plug driver and ran my Jato this morning. It runs great but sometimes the motor shuts off and sometimes it doesn't, am I running too rich? I have the high and low speed needle on stock settings according to Traxxas' customer support.

It bogs down then shuts off sometimes it just shuts off without a whimper.

You said its on stock settings. Its too rich. You need to lean out the HSN and LSN.

ok, thanks for the info Samrsnow I'll work on it tomorrow and let you guys know if that was the problem.

Usually the LSN isn't too far off from stock, but the HSN is a half turn or so leaner for good tune.

What are your engine temps?

did you break this engine in? i noticed you said it was new and you were beating on it with wheelies and stuff????

u can use drops of water to estimate the temp

yes I broked it in exactly as the dvd said to. I let it cooled down a bit then beated on it afterwards.