Can you help me identify this RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsJosh

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I need help identifying this rc that was handed over to me from a friend who did the same through another guy. I know this needs a lot of work and I’m brand new to the game and would greatly appreciate any and all help sent my way. Websites for ordering parts / other rc trucks. Also what are some of y’all opinions on the HPI Savage 4.6 big block ???

Looks like the traxxas pro 15 engine on it.

That's a later model losi xxx-nt rtr I think. The older one didn't have chrome wheels and a teal/white body instead of the darker one. Not sure what other differences there were. I had the older one 22 years ago, it was my first RC.

Looks like the traxxas pro 15 engine on it.

That's a later model losi xxx-nt rtr I think. The older one didn't have chrome wheels and a teal/white body instead of the darker one. Not sure what other differences there were. I had the older one 22 years ago, it was my first RC.
lol that air filter look familiar there olds? same one that the evaders came with!
from the videos on the XXXnt i had seen the RTR versions had "RTR" molded into the plastic parts (a-arms, servo mount hub carriers etc), dont know if that holds true with them all, but might be something to look at.

the savage x4.6 are nice rigs, haven't personally owned a savage (yet) but for how popular it is and how many people do and swear by them. savages are a truck pretty renown for being tough and built for bashing. all RC's will have weak points so dont expect it to be bulletproof though.

Thanks guys. This helps me out a lot. Also forgot to ask what would cause a malfunction similar to a clutch going out ( not sure if these have a clutch or not. )

Thanks guys. This helps me out a lot. Also forgot to ask what would cause a malfunction similar to a clutch going out ( not sure if these have a clutch or not. )

A clutch consist of shoes an a spring or springs ,if you have a broken spring ,when you try to start the engine ,
the wheels will start to move with the engine ,but also ,if you have a froze clutch bell bearing ,that will also do
that!

If your car is lagging on take off ,then your shoes maybe worn down onto the spring!

A nitro rig is a lot of responsibility ,if this is your first ,then you need to try to find a manual an read up on it!

That is a used one ,so you will need to go through it an make sure that it is clean before you try to run it!

You have to figure out where the spinning parts stop.
flywheel -> bell/spur -> trans input shaft -> trans output cups -> cvd/bones -> axle shaft -> wheel hex -> wheel

Figuring out where the spinning stops will help us diagnose the issue without seeing it.

disclaimer this is not my picture, i found it on google for depiction (my engines are in vehicles atm so harder to show this)

nitro engines that we use, use what is called a centrifugal clutch, the shoes sit on pegs (yellow arrow below) that are pressed into a flywheel (red arrow below)
as the flywheel spins the shoes, the centrifugal force overcomes the tension of the spring (green arrow below)
side note: some clutch assemblies use a single spring that wraps around the shoes as below, other types use a single spring per shoe
as the shoes are forced out, they make contact with what is called the clutchbell (red arrow on the left above) and that is what moves the car.

if the clutch spring is worn, or bearings are locking up, the engine will not be able to rotate correctly and will have too much drag on it, and as the engine is in low RPM range and does not have enough power to overcome, the engine will stall easily if the tires are on the ground, or if the truck is suspended and tires are spinning, as soon as the tires meet resistance, the engine will stall.

make sure when trying to diagnose this that the engine is in fact at low rpm as a too high idle will cause the same issue but will not be as susceptible to dying, as it is doing what it should be just other settings are wrong making it act like it is an error in the clutch assembly.

as far as what the issue is, if its dying and it wont sit in place at idle, it would be the clutch springs being too weak and or broken, or the clutchbell bearings being bad and locking up.
if it is running but you can't get the vehicle to move (this is the case if the clutchbell is not spinning). it can either be the clutch shoes are too worn, or your flywheel has loosened and is spinning freely on the crankshaft.

if the clutchbell is spinning, and its further down the line it could be a number of things like Olds said.

hope that helps!

If you are just trying to push your car back & fourth on the ground ,an it is not rolling freely ,DONT automatically
assume that it is broke!

LOL... the brake could be engaged with out the radio gear being on!

This is my point ,of being new to the nitro seen ,listen & learn to what these folks say!.....:cool:

If you are just trying to push your car back & fourth on the ground ,an it is not rolling freely ,DONT automatically
assume that it is broke!

LOL... the brake could be engaged with out the radio gear being on!

This is my point ,of being new to the nitro seen ,listen & learn to what these folks say!.....:cool:
yes +10 to this!!! have rebuilt a transmission twice before finally realizing the brake being stuck was the issue.... i dont like to talk about it lol

Aww gee thanks man. Lmao ?

Lol......any one of us could have identify your ride ,I don't like to be a bogart on helping people!

I know a lot about RC's ,but I am not too good on wording it down ,like other folks!

That Losi nt was a top of the line RC in its day ,they are becoming rare ,some times they pop up
on E-bay as rollers or complete , I had been tempted to buy one an build it!

I had restored one for a guy several years ago ,an fell in love with it ,they are fast just like they are!...Enjoy it!...:thumbs-up:

Cbaker olds d3mon y’all have been Extremely helpful in gettin me pointed in the right direction I can’t thank y’all enough. Without looking at it at the moment I’m gonna start looking for broken spring. I had it casually runnin up and down the street, got through almost half a tank and within 20 seconds the power slowly dropped to barely moving. Also when I first got her engine fired up the tires were trying to move a lil. But I know i gotta clean it, haven’t made time yet. To much work. Smh ?‍♂️

Cbaker olds d3mon y’all have been Extremely helpful in gettin me pointed in the right direction I can’t thank y’all enough. Without looking at it at the moment I’m gonna start looking for broken spring. I had it casually runnin up and down the street, got through almost half a tank and within 20 seconds the power slowly dropped to barely moving. Also when I first got her engine fired up the tires were trying to move a lil. But I know i gotta clean it, haven’t made time yet. To much work. Smh ?‍♂️
Oh and when the engines runnin in its current condition it runs at a clean idle

Back