Can someone tell me what these are for?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot see these being useful for crawling applications. After installed, depending if you turn them clockwise or counterclockwise, they lock or unlock your axles. When locked you are in 4wd, when you unlock them your front wheels are freewheeling. That is what was featured in older 1:1 trucks. As I said in a previous post, that is the way my Grandpa's old F250 was. The front axles are unlocked, then you turn the hub on the wheels to lock them in and put the truck in 4wd. Nowadays this is done through the transfer case and locking hubs are not needed.

Application: Here is where it would be useful... If you are bashing around or fast trail driving you may want 2wd. Then your rear can slide a bit and you will roll over less than if all 4 wheels were engaged. The Traxxas TRX4 has a feature. You can remote lock/unlock your front and rear axle. When you are in 2wd you can drive faster and corner better.

These are for the rear axles, so you can make the truck front wheel drive only 😉

These are for the rear axles, so you can make the truck front wheel drive only 😉
For some reason that didn't click in my head... because there would be no purpose at all for that. I have only seen front lock/unlocking hubs.

I dont have any clue why someone would want to unlock the rear hubs...

Just buy it, install it, and let us know if it is useful for you.tinkering is half the fun

Disengaging the rear axle would work sorta like a dig does in that the rear axle isn't pushing the vehicle. So in theory, it should turn slightly sharper? Like say you wanted your vehicle to pivot about the rear axle, which would not happen if you had a live axle, especially if it was a locked diff. Just taking a stab at it here 🤷‍♂️

I'm thinking about just putting a dig in it instead
That would be more usefull. You can lock the rear and turn on a dime. I have that function in my vs4-10. With 2 shift servos I have selectable front overdrive, rear dig, front freewheel, rear freewheel, or I can make the front and rear freewheel at the same time.

Disengaging the rear axle would work sorta like a dig does in that the rear axle isn't pushing the vehicle. So in theory, it should turn slightly sharper? Like say you wanted your vehicle to pivot about the rear axle, which would not happen if you had a live axle, especially if it was a locked diff. Just taking a stab at it here 🤷‍♂️
That's the way I understand it to work. Mostly for tighter turns on technical courses. I will never compete so really don't need that extra bit of tech.

I'm gonna go buy an AX10 axle, install the parts and solve this big mystery

Back