Can someone tell me what these are for?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I was looking for hop up parts for my Axial AX-10 Scorpion and I ran across these

KM Racing Stainless Steel Drive Shaft for Axle Lock-out
km-racing-kmkmax-065.jpg

and I ran across these axle lock outs
km-racing-kmkmax-066gr.jpg

Can someone please explain to me what these are for?

I dont know if it's the same thing, but SSD makes a set of scale lockers that you activate on the outside so you can unlock your front diff.
And lock it back in like on older trucks. We used to do that on my grandpa's old F250

I dont know if it's the same thing, but SSD makes a set of scale lockers that you activate on the outside so you can unlock your front diff.
And lock it back in like on older trucks. We used to do that on my grandpa's old F250

Hubs, manual hubs are what you are referring to. I hate that new vehicles don't have them because it saved a lot of wear and tear on the drivetrain.

I think you get points for them in scale comps but it seems like a pain to me and just something little to break. I'll stick with my 3d printed fakes.

Does look like what that could be above.

Hubs, manual hubs are what you are referring to. I hate that new vehicles don't have them because it saved a lot of wear and tear on the drivetrain.

I think you get points for them in scale comps but it seems like a pain to me and just something little to break. I'll stick with my 3d printed fakes.

Does look like what that could be above.
Yeah, that... LOL

Those are housing ends
What are the purpose of them and how do they work? This is the only crawler I have and I've only recently gotten it so I'm having a hard time understanding what these are and what they do.

From my understanding... when you have them adjusted all the way the axles are going inside the locker and it is 4wd. When you adjust them the opposite way it pulls the axle ends out of the locker so the front tires "free spin" and the truck is 2wd. Can anyone confirm this?

From my understanding... when you have them adjusted all the way the axles are going inside the locker and it is 4wd. When you adjust them the opposite way it pulls the axle ends out of the locker so the front tires "free spin" and the truck is 2wd. Can anyone confirm this?
Ok, that makes sense. Hope someone can confirm but that seems right.

Google is your friend.. it’ll explain and show you more stuff than I can.

Google is your friend.. it’ll explain and show you more stuff than I can.
Already looked, I can't find anything specific to the AX10 and axle lockouts. Maybe I can find a different kit that uses axle lockout and figure it out from there. Just havent had the time to research it lately. Been busy with work. I was hoping someone on here could clue me in but Ill figure it out when I get the time.

The green parts replace the axle ends. They appear to rotate/slide to engage the axle ends in the diff.

Being a life long off road guy conceptually I love it, but unless you are a hardcore scaler chasing points I don't see the point of adding an additional failure point to a build.

Already looked, I can't find anything specific to the AX10 and axle lockouts. Maybe I can find a different kit that uses axle lockout and figure it out from there. Just havent had the time to research it lately. Been busy with work. I was hoping someone on here could clue me in but Ill figure it out when I get the time.
Funny, I just googled it and everything came up

Funny, I just googled it and everything came up
Just googled it again and all I can find are the parts for sale. nothing on how it actually works on an AX-10 so Id love to see these so-called google results you found.

Just googled it again and all I can find are the parts for sale. nothing on how it actually works on an AX-10 so Id love to see these so-called google results you found.
You bolt on the ends and it locks the axles in place. Lockout.

You bolt on the ends and it locks the axles in place. Lockout.
Other people in the thread have already stated what they do. What I'm trying to figure out now is how they actually work on this specific kit and why would you want unlocked axles vs locked axles when you're crawling. How do you lock them and unlock them? When would you want them locked vs unlocked? If you have useful information then please share it. So far youve replied to this thread 3 times and not once has it been helpful and that would be ok if it at least looked like you were putting some effort in to trying to help. So far all you done is replied in short, snarky, sarcastic replies.

I cannot see these being useful for crawling applications. After installed, depending if you turn them clockwise or counterclockwise, they lock or unlock your axles. When locked you are in 4wd, when you unlock them your front wheels are freewheeling. That is what was featured in older 1:1 trucks. As I said in a previous post, that is the way my Grandpa's old F250 was. The front axles are unlocked, then you turn the hub on the wheels to lock them in and put the truck in 4wd. Nowadays this is done through the transfer case and locking hubs are not needed.

Application: Here is where it would be useful... If you are bashing around or fast trail driving you may want 2wd. Then your rear can slide a bit and you will roll over less than if all 4 wheels were engaged. The Traxxas TRX4 has a feature. You can remote lock/unlock your front and rear axle. When you are in 2wd you can drive faster and corner better.

Back