Can Someone Please Explain to Me...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Capacitors, diodes, mosfets, FETS, amps, and constant discharge. Most of this is from buying an ESC, and I've heard lots of things about using capacitors, diodes, mosfets, FETS, and amps. Both amps and constant discharge will be for if I plan to buy a LiPo and considering what to get. So if you can guys can please help clear this out for me, that would be fabulous! Thanks!

-Coby

Capacitors; think of these as an electrical shock absorber. These are used on the motor to absorb little spikes that result in radio glitching. Newer motors have them surface-mounted to the endbell of the motor.

Diode; this is a one-way valve (of sorts) for current. It allows electricity to flow one way, but not the other.

Mosfets and Fets are pretty much the same thing. It's a transistor that acts as a switch. The better the Fet, the faster/smoother current is switched. This is represented by the switching hertz rate.

Your amp draw is going to be determined more by what motor and gearing you run, as well as tire size.

Capacitors; think of these as an electrical shock absorber. These are used on the motor to absorb little spikes that result in radio glitching. Newer motors have them surface-mounted to the endbell of the motor.

Diode; this is a one-way valve (of sorts) for current. It allows electricity to flow one way, but not the other.

Mosfets and Fets are pretty much the same thing. It's a transistor that acts as a switch. The better the Fet, the faster/smoother current is switched. This is represented by the switching hertz rate.

Your amp draw is going to be determined more by what motor and gearing you run, as well as tire size.

Thank you professor! lol jk Well done! Ya learn something new everyday!

I failed to mention Novaks' Atom/Cyclone, which utilize a fairly large capacitor on the motor leads. The key reason the large cap is not inside of the ESC casing is the compact housing.

Now, touching a bit more on the amp draw; you're going to see the largest amp draw (or surge) during the initial movement of the model. Once it gains momentum, the amp draw should fall slightly.

It sounds like really complex information, but it's not.

No you made it perfectly clear. Thanks a lot! I'm getting off my butt and learning the electric side of the hobby. Die hard nitro guy and all. This helps tons.

FET = Field Effect Transistor
MOSFET= Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

Ooops, the electronic geek in me is showing....sorry. :hehe: Let me put that away. Sorry, you have no need for that info, HB explained everything you need. I hadn't heard that since college and I'm kinda surprised I remembered it.

Back