Can I use an electric drill as a roto-starter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,
I’m already thinking about a mod to my engine which is fitting a roto-start.
What I’m wondering is ... would my 18v Dewalt Drill on the fast box setting do the same job as the root-starter itself?
Should I be considering the RPM of them both?
Thanks folks

You can BUT your drill will be very unforgiving and has the potential to bust your rotostart device all to pieces. It would be a better idea to purchase a roto start drive specifically designed for the application.

It's a common practice to use a drill with a cut down Allen wrench but do NOT do it with an electric. Since yours is battery powered start with the lowest clutch setting on the drill and just raise one number at a time if necessary. If you encounter hydro lock or another problem while starting, the drill clutch will slip and not damage your engine.

You can BUT your drill will be very unforgiving and has the potential to bust your rotostart device all to pieces. It would be a better idea to purchase a roto start drive specifically designed for the application.
Thanks very much!
I was thinking I’d put the clutch on the down to minimum so it’ll slip if any counter force is applied for any reason.

Just make sure it's turning in the right direction. They actually will start backwards but you'll soon know something's not right.

Thanks very much!
I was thinking I’d put the clutch on the down to minimum so it’ll slip if any counter force is applied for any reason.
Yes I see what Rolex said about the clutch on the drill. I didn't turn down the clutch on my first drill and it smoked the gears in my roto start.

I grenade a brand new 8.0 engine after it went into hydro-lock with a drill ,shattered the rod an sent fragment
up into the sleeve!.....LOL

Guys,
What would you recommend as a roto-start?
Thanks
Rich

dang your in the UK forgot about that, i have a Team Losi one that i got with my LST that i dont use as i use my cordless drill. but shipping would be more than buying a new one over there lol.
did find this on Modelsport, https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-torque-starter-force/rc-car-products/25031
your engine is the hex rotostart correct? or is it a little dogbone slot in the roto backplate?
from the reviews it almost seems as though it comes with a dogbone type starter not the hex as shown in the pictures? dont know if they left a review on the wrong one as it looks like a dogbone type is offered as well.
if that is the case though, you can buy a ball end type 6mm allen key and cut off the "L" portion.

dang your in the UK forgot about that, i have a Team Losi one that i got with my LST that i dont use as i use my cordless drill. but shipping would be more than buying a new one over there lol.
did find this on Modelsport, https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-torque-starter-force/rc-car-products/25031
your engine is the hex rotostart correct? or is it a little dogbone slot in the roto backplate?
from the reviews it almost seems as though it comes with a dogbone type starter not the hex as shown in the pictures? dont know if they left a review on the wrong one as it looks like a dogbone type is offered as well.
if that is the case though, you can buy a ball end type 6mm allen key and cut off the "L" portion.

Although ,it may not be the same brand ,I have one on my Ld3 B-block ,it works great ,when space is limited ,however ,
not quite sure how they hold up on new tight engines for break-ins!

I just put one on my T-maxx last night, a Sullivan Tiger Drive. Looks like my issue is going to be that I'm going to have to remove the rear wheel to start the truck each time. The shocks are also creating a bit of an issue as they are slightly in the way, which makes the driver have to go in at a slight angle, but not enough to bind. As it is though, unless I can find some kind of 90 degree attachment for the drill to the driver, the wheel is in the way. Tried running the driver through the spokes, it was *this* close to working, LOL.

Not a huge issue though, it's 17mm hubs, the nut goes on and off easily enough - small sacrifice for ditching that heavy Easy-Start. I've been putting my Maxx on a diet the last week with light chassis and the direct drive start. Trying to get it back down closer to the stock weight despite having a lot of alloy.

Hi all,
What I’m wondering is ... would my 18v Dewalt Drill on the fast box setting do the same job as the root-starter itself?
Thanks folks

Most Roto starts I’ve are used in Trucks like a Savage for EG:
That being the Case I’d stick to Pull Start , and loosen off the plug a Little until it fires up. Save pulling on the String too hard, personally I don’t like them roto starts ,
If it’s a buggy I’d invest in a good starter box,
And a 12v battery. You may even have to file some of the chassis around the flywheel to allow the starter wheel to get in but I found it’s far more reliable than spending £15 each time a pull start breaks .

Hi all,
Thanks folks
Mine works lol

I have the 18v Dewalt, and the problem I've had is that it only starts if the battery is 100% charged, and I only get a few tries before it's not quite fast enough. Brand new batteries too. Might grab the starter wand from Redcat, I presume it's geared faster than the drill.

Drill battery. It spun it, but the speed of the drill was just slightly too slow. I had it on the fastest setting(3). Motor is broke in and tuned, and starts perfectly with the EZ start each time. Glow battery plenty charged and my pull start buggy starts instantly using same glow wand. I tried two different drill batteries, same results. It's noticeably slower than the Easy Start. It's not that the drill is being slowed by the motor at all, it's going at full speed, it's just that it's top speed seems a tad slow.

Drill battery. It spun it, but the speed of the drill was just slightly too slow. I had it on the fastest setting(3). Motor is broke in and tuned, and starts perfectly with the EZ start each time. Glow battery plenty charged and my pull start buggy starts instantly using same glow wand. I tried two different drill batteries, same results. It's noticeably slower than the Easy Start. It's not that the drill is being slowed by the motor at all, it's going at full speed, it's just that it's top speed seems a tad slow.

Oh ,I think that one of my nitro engines don't like it fast ,it like real quick burst in intervals of the button to start ,
have you tried that?

Back