Can I make a front wheel drive from a Traxxas?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
I have a rear wheel drive Rustler, 4x4 Rustler, and a 4x4 Stampede. I build bodies appropriate for the drive train, but seem to be out of the front wheel drive market. Is there a practical way to start with a 4x4 chassis and delete the rear differential and sub in plain spindles or something?

You mean the front spindles from a Slash to use on the rear of a Rustler 4x4?

Yup, I think they might work. The Rustler and Slash share a lot of parts, I think that the spindles would probably be a perfect fit.

You have a 2WD Rustler(didn't see that when I first posted), try the spindles from the front of that one, they should be the same as the Slash.

It's not that simple on the 1/10th traxxas platform. The way traxxas makes the rear diff, the center axle's rear support is the rear diff input pinion and the rear input pinion is held in place with the rear ring gear/diff cup. So at the very least, you have to keep the rear diff intact (which is rotational mass), then you dissassemble the rear output drive to remove the slider from the yoke/axle going to the rear wheels. So you will still have the rear diff, but won't have anything connected to the output shafts.

That said, I've had the rear axle break on a few RC's and they just don't drive. You end up with front wheels that just spin constantly regardless of the surface your on. They aren't like a 1:1 car where 50%+ of the weight is over the front tires, so you get very little forward traction out of the front generally.

I agree with @olds97_lss. We've all had front diffs or drive shafts blow out on a 4WD platform and just thought we could leave it at that. It never lasted more than a few really bad laps. Terrible traction, terrible cornering and just no performance at all. They are built and balanced for all 4 wheels or for just rear wheel drive.

Back