Can I buy a cheap nitro car that will be fun?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I don’t know the first thing about nitro. As you can see on my profile somewhere, I have a few electric rcs but nothing other than that. I love all kinds of motors but I want a dose of noise from an engine, is there a cheap nitro car (doesn’t have to be awesome) that is reliable? If so what would you recommend? I’m not picky about type just a general basher whatever.
Thanks

I don’t know the first thing about nitro. As you can see on my profile somewhere, I have a few electric rcs but nothing other than that. I love all kinds of motors but I want a dose of noise from an engine, is there a cheap nitro car (doesn’t have to be awesome) that is reliable? If so what would you recommend? I’m not picky about type just a general basher whatever.
Thanks
Nitro if very touchy you have to have ur going to have ur plate full it takes a lot patience you have to learn fuel air mixture altitude ect. I have quit a few but really I love running my Brushless more. The gas ones I have don’t get me wrong but seriously take my advice. More speed and power depending what you want to do I’m learning gas is messy too. Always when I fire my poop up it’s a mess

I started in the hobby with a Losi 8ight T truggy. It was a good choice for me. Other than my own crash induced damage I found it to be very reliable. I would say the Losi buggy would be a good choice also. Nitro is a little messier than electric but its easy to clean up so just a minor inconvenience. Go for it!

Used nitros are cheap as chips, at least where I live. Just make sure it runs before you buy if you decide to go that route.

I got into nitro this year and it's been an adventure, deeply satisfying and something I've always wanted to do.

It all depends on your tolerance for troubleshooting - a cheap nitro will teach you all about the hobby, the hard way- the Mr. Miyagi way

A fancy RTR is basically the same as a cheap nitro that's been given a careful once-over and tune by a pro; after that first maintenance cycle wears out, it's much more about the owner's care and maintenance than the model they've chosen.

A fancy model will run more easily out of the box, but will eventually require just as much involvement and maintenance as a cheap one if you want it to last.

I started with the very cheapest model I could find, an HSP Flying Fish, and out of the half-dozen nitros I've acquired, even though I now consider it "the beater", it's my most-driven and most-maintained car. It's the one I'm about to take out after this post!

I think HSP is unfairly maligned as "cheap" given the problems even fancy brands like Arma and Traxxas have shipped with their twice-as-expensive products. They have as solid a design as anyone else, and better parts availability / pricing, as well as lots of common parts between models which is a big plus for fleet maintenance!

My attempts at buying used/project car nitros hoping to save money over a new one have all backfired, I can't recommend it except to complete a collection or acquire rare models.