can anyone help me with my vintage kyosho gs11r engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahirin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi,

can anyone help me? my gs11r wont start..i rebuild it, clean everything and replace the glow plug with a new one but still wont start. i can't get it start. i use sidewinder 16% fuel. the engine sometimes got flooded. do i need to change the oil? and one more thing, the engine spraying oil everytime i try to start it. please help me. do i need to replace some parts? did i do something wrong?

Cooling head isnt very tight from the sounds of it. Try re-tightening it.

i tighten the head already but still it wudnt start. and oil leak comes from the one way bearing and it is still spraying oil when i pulled the starter. do i need to change my one way bearing or the back plate? what should i do?

Did you seal the engine? If not, do that before going any farther. Sounds to me like it is too rich to start. Maybe try leaning it a little at a time until it starts.

I would set it to stock settings and go from there. Stock settings are usually turn the HSN all the way in (clockwise) and then take out the HSN (counter clockwise) 3 full turns. On the LSN, make sure it is flush with the throttle body. Then make your tuning adjustments from there on.

but do i need to change my fuel? do i need to change my one way bearing? i tried to follow ur advices but the thing is it still wont start. i wanna keep my gs11r because it is very rare to find..hehe..i wud love to see it running

Is your fuel old? Is your owb functioning correctly? Usually owb's can be cleaned if they are just slipping. Old fuel will cause an engine to not run. Is your ignitor fully charged?

Good points Matt... especially the ingitor

When you rebuilt it, did you replace the piston/cylinder?

If not, what shape was the piston/cylinder in?
Is there good compression (pinch) or is really used/abused?

If it's been sitting - what shape are the bearings in?
Forgetting about the pinch of the cylinder/piston - how do the bearings feel when you spin the crank?
Do they spin freely or do they feel like there's gunk/gum build-up?

Pull start or roto-start?

If the fuel is leaking from the rear (the owb) is it also leaking from under the cooling head or back through the carb?

Have you removed the cooling head?
Was there a shim between the cooling head (button) and the cylinder?
If so, what shape was it in? (was it crimpled, bent, dented?)
Did you replace it?

When is it leaking - all the time or only after you flooded it?

After you flooded it - did you air it out (pull the plug / turn it upside down / turn it over) and replace the glo-plug?

its a pull start engine.the piston is still stock and in a good condition, it compressed well. but if it used or abused,i need to change it, right? the bearings run well but it seems like there`s gum build up. do i need to replace it as well? only the owb leaks oil when i pull the starter.i removed the head and looks fine to me, no leaks at all. what parts do i need to change? the tank and hoses is in a good shape. help me, please

I'd tear the engine apart, soak it in fresh fuel, and blow everything off with compressed air. Make sure the crank rotates freely with no gritty feeling. Lube the innards with fresh fuel or after run oil. Re-seal/re-assemble and try 'er again. If it sat for a long time with fuel in the engine, it needs cleaned.

It may help to post some pictures of your engine, it'd help us walk you through some steps to get it running.

Personally, sounds like the backplate needs sealed with RTV and your needles set to stock. According to the engine manual here: http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/engine/pdf/74711_gs11r_m.pdf the HSN is two turns out from the closed position.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

If you've flooded it, fuel leaking out the back of the engine when you pull the starter may not be unexpected.
Is the fuel leaking out past the shaft that projects out the rear of the engine and through the backplate or around the sides of the backplate?

If you take the pull-starter off and grasp that shaft - how much play (wiggle) is there?
Is it tight or really sloppy?

I understand that this is a very old thread, but I am new here and I have the same engine.

In answer to the last question if I remove the Pull-starter then the crankshaft wiggles all over the place it hardly looks connected even. I assume this is bad but maybe someone can tell me its ok, because I only just noticed this and so have wasted days of my time trying to get my engine to stay running.

at the moment I pime the carb and then can start the engine, it revs at very high speed and then just shuts off, sometimes it helps if i block the exhaust to get it started.

any help is greatly appreciated my brother left this to me and I really would love to get it running.

I understand that this is a very old thread, but I am new here and I have the same engine.

In answer to the last question if I remove the Pull-starter then the crankshaft wiggles all over the place it hardly looks connected even. I assume this is bad but maybe someone can tell me its ok, because I only just noticed this and so have wasted days of my time trying to get my engine to stay running.

at the moment I pime the carb and then can start the engine, it revs at very high speed and then just shuts off, sometimes it helps if i block the exhaust to get it started.

any help is greatly appreciated my brother left this to me and I really would love to get it running.
It may be running to lean. Also check your carb settings they may be to high. I would replace the starter shaft and the backplate and you should be good. Also your carb may be blocked. Clean the carb and your fuel lines. Hope that helps

Can someone help me find a gs11r pull starter?The rare red one. Or one that fits a gs11r

If it is leaking from one way bearing, check if the O-ring is still there. If you need a new replacement, you can try eBay.