Camera gimble for vehicles?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone tried one of these style gimbals on a car or truck? https://www.rcplanet.com/traxxas-aton-mount-camera-and-gimbal-with-anti-vibration-tra7971/ I have several action cameras, and some even have EIS, but, especially if i run them on-board on my fast off road stuff, the videos look like crap, and, all the gimbals i find are ridiculously priced, so, i started looking into quad-copter and drone gimbals that may work, then eventually stumbled onto this one, but i am not sure how it would work mounted to a MT or SCT body, so i was just curious if anyone had ever tried it, and, if so, how did it work out?

That's not the complete gimbal assembly as it's missing the motors, control board, and camera mount. That's just the mounting plate itself. Just FYI. If you're going to mount a gimbal to a land rig, I think you'll need to ditch the body in order to mount it lower otherwise the COG and thus handling will suffer a lot.

I made a body for a Emaxx, with a camera window to replace the grille. IM000282.JPG

That's not the complete gimbal assembly as it's missing the motors, control board, and camera mount. That's just the mounting plate itself. Just FYI. If you're going to mount a gimbal to a land rig, I think you'll need to ditch the body in order to mount it lower otherwise the COG and thus handling will suffer a lot.
For how they get used, and why i am doing this, handling isn't much of an issue. Its mainly for 3 kids under the age of 16 to send videos to their grandparents to watch. They don't race, and the videos aren't to post online. They mainly just bash out in our back yard, and sometimes at the park. My thinking on this mount is, since it sits on the rubber feet, it would take away some of the shakiness.

In my experience mounting GoPros to ground rigs, you're better off with a solid mount and let the suspension take out the bumps and shakiness. But, try it and report back with some test footage.

In my experience mounting GoPros to ground rigs, you're better off with a solid mount and let the suspension take out the bumps and shakiness. But, try it and report back with some test footage.
I dont have GoPro's, i have a couple cheaper versions, and everytime i mount them solid, the video is so shaky, it almost makes you vomit watching it, but, i mounted that same camera to my mountain bike, with a handlebar mount with rubber spacers, and it was extremely smooth. But, before anyone says it, my mountain bike is a lightweight hybrid that i race on and off road, and 50MPH isn't unattainable, and, none of the RC cars i mount them to go over 30.

Sounds good. I dig bikes, and ride a bit myself. What kind of bike do you have? Let's see some pics in The Great Outdoors thread.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/the-great-outdoors.109107/page-16
I looked through some of the pages, and i don't have anything like some of what is posted in there. I have an older aluminum schwinn DR2 (that needs a new rear free wheel, that i have just been too cheap and lazy to get), a Zongai mountain bike, and a Diamond Back Trace. I do more on road than off road stuff though. The only reason i have the Trace is because i got it from a lady at a yard sale (older lady, who just didnt want it, so i got it for $40), and, originally was thinking of selling it, but, bikes don't sell around here, because there are so many cheap ones available in this area.

I used a Feiyutech G5 handheld gimble on my Losi SBR with good results.
It's a bit clumsy to setup, but it worked.
I've also taped my GoPros directly to the car, the footage wasn't as good, but as long as the bodywork didn't flex it was acceptable.

Back