calipers to measure mm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Forgot what they are called......but where can i find one of those calipers with a digital display? i need one that will measure in MM's.

the cheaper the better. :smoke:

wow...lots of variables there. LOL Thanks for the link

to get mm just multiply inches by 25.4 the digital calipers your looking for can switch back and forth. for just a cheap set try harbor freight.

Last edited:
CorradoPsi said:
to get mm just multiply inches by 25.4 the digital calipers your looking for can switch back and forth. for just a cheap set try harbor freight.

cool..i had forgotten that!!!

Candyman said:
4" digital calipers. $25. Harbor Freight. I got lucky and got a 6" caliper on sale for $20 there. Measures in inches and millimeters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47256

YEAHHHHH!!! Thats exactly what I am looking for.

I have been using the Harbor Freight unit for several years now. For RC and hobby use they are great. can't beat the price. Four Stars in my book.

I have had the Mitituyo ones. I got em for a deal. but I know there are cheaper ones that do the same thing. Oh well.

those are nice! I just have a dial one I got at Lowes. Not as accurate and it don't have metal jaws but still gets the job done. Calipers are great!

Ok, newb question: I know what calipers are but what do you use them for in relation to RC's?

on my savage build i used some for turnbuckles, upper arms & such

Yup. They are excellent for verifying consistent lengths. Best used for turnbuckles, camber links and stuff like that. They're useful for basically getting a really precise measure on anything you're doing. I use them a lot when I'm painting because I can get a better measure on curved surfaces and it allows me to place my masks better. Frankly, there are a ton of things you can use them for. You just don't know it yet.

Buncrana said:
Ok, newb question: I know what calipers are but what do you use them for in relation to RC's?
I personally use them for measuring turnbuckles, screws and distance between my brake discs.

I use mine all the time before drilling out a screw hole so I can get a bit as close to the OD as I want. My HF tools 115pc drill bit set has the bits sized in the box so I can choose the right one for the job. If you are making or modifying parts, calipers are a big help there too. Get a good caliper, and before long you will be buying drill rod from your local machine shop supplier and making your own pivot pins. :hammer:

Buncrana said:
On foam tires, you're measuring "wear rate." This is more common with electric guys because they're trying to get to a certain "roll out" and also adjusting their ratio's.

For me, I use it on my foams (nitro) now because I stuck an overdrive pulley for the front so my final drive ratio will be different. I have to keep it in a certain zone so that the change won't be too drastic. I can adjust for the change with foam diameters. It can also be used when adjusting your centax clutch (now that you have your R40). The clutch is only supposed to have certain tolerances of "play" so you'll be using it more as well. If your calipers are large enough, it's good for measuring track width. The sticker on the HUDY board is good but not exactly pinpoint accurate.

Diver6127 said:
For me, I use it on my foams (nitro) now because I stuck an overdrive pulley for the front so my final drive ratio will be different. I have to keep it in a certain zone so that the change won't be too drastic. I can adjust for the change with foam diameters.

They call it "SPLIT"...what you running Diver, 1 or 2mm split?

Diver6127 said:
It can also be used when adjusting your centax clutch (now that you have your R40). The clutch is only supposed to have certain tolerances of "play" so you'll be using it more as well.

"End Play" others call it.... those shims are very important in aracers tool box.

At first, I was running 64mm all the way around because the serpent 710 has a slight overdrive in the design that proved useful with equal diameters. To get a 1:1 ratio with the stock pulley, I'd have to do a 1mm split.

Now that I put the overdrive pulley (went from 22 to 21 teeth) I'm going to have to true my front tires down 1mm for now. I want to see the difference so I'll first try equal, then incrimentally going to a 2mm split. Gotta adjust the upstops if I go to a 2mm split so I am hesitant to do it.

The main reason I wanted to try the overdrive pulley was to get more throttle stability and pull the car through the turn with throtle steer. Especially since I'm running a locked front axle. I've messed around with different settings but with the track we're going to on sunday, more speed will be carried through the turns because of the larger lanes and layout. It's designed for 1/8 onroad. In the end, I may just go back to the stock pulley if I don't feel comfortable with the 21T on that particular track and layout.

And yes, the "end play" as RRR stated is very important to clutch engagement so it can be critical. Need to shim it to get proper tolerances.

Back