Bump (Starter) Box Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderTiger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so I have bump box already, but I am looking for a second one.

The one I already have is a single motor and has a tool tray in it. So far, every single one I can find does not have this feature.

To elaborate, I am looking for a single motored unit due to wanting to replicate what I have done with the one I have and that is install a fuel cell, fuel pump and dual battery system. The too tray is ultra handy for a few tools and small spares (clutch bells, shoes et-al) for when out with the rig. I also intend to update the layout a little within the same footprint.

Anybody know where I can find another bump box the same, or remotely similar?

Here's my current bump box. This should show why I want the single motor variant as outlined above...

Just to say I don't own a starter box.....But I can tell you now, that is the most awesome one I've seen yet :p

that bump box was just a motor and battery when initially purchased.

I added the dual race-pak backup, fuel cell and fuel pump, glow ignitor and battery plus an aux port to power the ignitor from an external ignitor. I also added a glow plug caddy too.

I am trying to find another box the same, so I can replicate the setup.

No luck yet though!

Closest I can find is an Ofna box, but that is twin 550 nd has no tool drawer.

I had an old school OFNA bump box similar to yours but unfortunately I pitched it last fall cause it needed to be rewired and I figured if I needed a bump box again Id get a newer lighter one.

One question though, have you thought about switching you Pb and NiXX packs out for lipos? not only would it be lighter but you should be able to get more Ah into the same space as well.

Greywolf, I know what you are saying, but for this, I am sticking with old school tech.

A Pb battery is only around £25 GBP and the race paks are cheap too.

The LiPo battery I was looking at (5S 6000mAh, 18.5v 35C) would cost me £65GBP with post. Then there is the charger to consider and how much "run time" I could get with a 12v motor under the strain of firing a nitro engine...

Admittedly, I would gain an ocean of room, but I would hate to even consider the issues if the battery casing was ever damaged.

I do not want to be having to pay out for a full LiPo kit of batteries and chargers / balancers for something that is going to be thrown around risking damage to batteries. Besides, the Pb and Nixx packs are good enough and are always charged after a day of running, chargers are cheap enough and straightforward too.

Last edited:
just a thought. I didnt realize you didnt already have a CCCV charger but even then it would be more expensive for sure.

What on earth is a CCCV charger?

LiPo + me = Complete strangers

I have refused to let lipo through the door until recently. Even then, that is only due to my (planned) new Tx will have a Lipo in it.

Must admit though, looking at it briefly, it seems A) Expensive and B ) able to deliver higher power at a better rate. Although what concerns me is how much run time I will get from a 12v motor under load on LiPo......

CCCV = constant current constant voltage. All LiPo chargers are CCCV chargers. Theyre also really good for charging and cycling NiXX, LiFe, LIon, and Pb batteries as well. It just refers to teh way the charger operates. most people just call them Lipo chargers.

Lipos are more expensive but the power delivery and their discharge curve beat older battery tech up one side and down the other. The lipo you mentioned earlier is capable of discharging up to 210A continuous. Far more than your typical NiXX pack. As for the discharge curve a Lipo will hold a much higher voltage output for the duration of the battery where a NiXX battery's voltage will start falling within a few minutes and continue falling until it can't turn the motor anymore. Lipos also have way more capactity. that lipo you mention earlier has a 6Ah capacity, only 1Ah less than the Pb battery inside you bump start but its probably only 1/4 of the size of that Pb. So basically LiPos just totally out perform older battery technology in just about every way. Again though, it does come with a higher price tag and theres always extra precautions you should take when using, charging, and storing Lipos too.

If you want to learn more about how LiPos and Lipo chargers work you can geek out on this video. :)

Now that's a useful resource!

As for the lipo I was looking at, I was looking for something with a similar ah rating.

What on earth is a CCCV charger?

LiPo + me = Complete strangers

I have refused to let lipo through the door until recently. Even then, that is only due to my (planned) new Tx will have a Lipo in it.

Must admit though, looking at it briefly, it seems A) Expensive and B ) able to deliver higher power at a better rate. Although what concerns me is how much run time I will get from a 12v motor under load on LiPo......
You're like me...I've never went near lipos, they're expensive, explosive and, to me, risky to charge without forking out £70 for a fancy charger- and then there, £140 on batteries that could be better spent on spares or upgrades. That is my opinion and your's may differ.

that is pretty much how I look/looked at LiPo.....

It's the potential for explosion that puts me off the most. I have to be exceedingly careful with animals in the home and my missus with mobility issues.

Besides, it is aircraft tech and we all know that has to be handled in very specific manner.

Last edited:
While LiPos do need a little care and there is always that possibility of a LiPo fire the chances of LiPo fires are greatly exaggerated. There are safe ways to charge lipos, steps that can be taken to safely contain a lipo fire if one should occure, and generally have to short 2 or more cells together to cause a LiPo fire. Most of the time when LiPos are damaged they just puff. Even when they do catch fire its generally not instantaneous either. They will normally swell for at least 5-10 minutes before ever bursting into flames. I guess what I'm trying to say is the danger is real but the chances of it happening are greatly exagerated and with the proper precautions a lipo fire while charging need not be a serious threat. I've been using LiPos for about 5 years now and I've never had one catch fire on me. I have had a few puff from being wrecked but never caught fire or even smoked. Once youve used LiPos you'll be hard pressed to not want to use them in everything :) That being said I'm not necessarily trying to change your mind, I'm just trying to put it in the proper perspective because a lot of people on the internet want to make it look or sound like its much more common than it really is. Its true their expensive, its true that theres a certain amount of caution used in using Lipos but its also true that they put out huge power. I can't imagine not using them anymore. :)

IMG_20150318_192412_496.jpg

IMG_20150318_192335_561.jpg

I can not run the risk of a fire occuring at all.

Nor do I want a bill for a new battery that has taken a little knock and gone poofe.

Sorry, but for a bump box that gets thrown around, it is hardly the best environment for a battery that needs babying. Though admittedly, I could use the capability of the technology LiPo offers.

Yes, I have briefly looked into LiPo (again), but I still remain unconvinced about the safety of them, even though my new Rx will have one!

Last edited:
like i said, I wasn't necessarily trying to talk you into it. I just didnt want disinformation (like the notion that a little knock is going to ruin a pack) to dissuade someone from trying them out if they may be so inclined. you're obviously not and theres nothing wrong with that.

my point is that unless and until I can prove that a LiPo battery will be safe by being strapped down hard in a bump box that occasionally gets thrown aound like a rag doll, can withstand being charged in-situ and is safe to store in a cold outdoor concrete shed for months at a time without being checked, I will shy away from the potential issues of that.

Only way I can see around it is to remove the battery from the bump box after every run and slap it in the fridge or freezer to keep it cool. Kinda defeats the point of dragging it out, charging and going, then throwing it (not literally) back in the shed without any messing about.

Last edited:
cheers for that rolex ;)

could well be the perfect solution.p

***EDIT***

Looks like I have the solution to the battery problem after some brief research.

Big thank-you Rolex!!! Cheers bud

***EDIT***

Last edited: