Building sand paddles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggington

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi

I need some sand paddles for my XTM Rage, but none fit. Can I make my own easily?

Buggington

12mm hexes. I don't know what other sand paddles will fit, but LOSB1165 don't.

Cheers

Well, those rims/tires I linked to will fit each other and the rims are 12mm hex.

Maybe just buy a set of the rims to see if they fit your rig without issues before getting two sets and tires for them.

Or you can pick up a set of these for really cheap to figure out if normal 2.2 rims will work for you:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJK62&P=7

Then get something better like the RPM ones for your final install.

Last edited:
what about them doesn't fit?

The diagram from Losi makes my wheel's diameter 1cm too big. Mine are about 42mm

LosiSP.jpg

Cheers,

Well, those rims/tires I linked to will fit each other and the rims are 12mm hex.

Maybe just buy a set of the rims to see if they fit your rig without issues before getting two sets and tires for them.

Or you can pick up a set of these for really cheap to figure out if normal 2.2 rims will work for you:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJK62&P=7

Then get something better like the RPM ones for your final install.
What part of them is 2.2"? My rims are about 42mm diameter and 32mm wide.

As long as they're a 12mm hex what other problems would I have if I used them?

Also, I'm in the UK. Is there anywhere I can easily get them here?

Cheers,

The bead where the rubber glues to the rim is how must tires/rims are rated for size. 2.2, 3.2, 3.8, 40 series... that's a reference to the mounting bead and width of the rim/tire. 2.2 and 3.2 are old standards. 2.8 is on a jato (larger than 2.2 rim, but OD of tire is similar). 3.8 is what's on a revo I believe. The larger 2.8, 3.8, 40 series are generally a larger rim but a similar sized OD tire. This gives you less sidewall for better handling.

I'm not sure if pro-line makes a paddle for the 2.8 rims... but that's what the ones I linked you to were replaced with.

My only concerns is that the larger rims are needed on your rig to clear the suspension/turning bits. So if you bought a standard 2.2" rim, it may not clear everything and rub on things or may not fit at all.

I don't know where you can buy things easily.

Last edited:
The bead where the rubber glues to the rim is how must tires/rims are rated for size. 2.2, 3.2, 3.8, 40 series... that's a reference to the mounting bead.

My only concerns is that the larger rims are needed on your rig to clear the suspension/turning bits. So if you bought a standard 2.2" rim, it may not clear everything and rub on things or may not fit at all.

I don't know where you can buy things easily.

I only really know stuff about my car so I'm still quite a noob so is the 2.2 the diameter where the mounting bead is?

yes, it is.

Hang on, i've just measured mine and they're 9" round the bead. This is confusing...

Hang on, i've just measured mine and they're 9" round the bead. This is confusing...
Ignore that, i'm doing circumference.

Oops :)

*EDIT*

Mine are 2" as it is. Is that too much play for me to just fit the paddles now?

Last edited:
Those are 1/8 scale and aren't even close to what will fit your rig.

Here are comparison shots of 1/8 buggy and 2.2" tires/wheels:
2008-0329-Jato-BuggyWheelCompareAll.jpg

If yours is running 2" ID rims, then a set of 2.2"'s might work out for you just fine. You will probably have to gear down a bit though as with higher diameter tires, your gearing is going to change and if you intend on running in sand, then that will add a lot of strain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. I will order those paddles I think. Gearing won't be an issue as the car will be used in the water (as my school project it's becoming amphibious).

Bug

Oops, my bad, I read your first post as you had the XTM RAIL which is 1/8th. If you have the rage you will need the sand paddles that he linked above, not mine. Again, sorry.

Gearing isn't the only issue, the issues are fitment, clearance and gearing. From what you said about yours, it does sound like a set of 12mm hex 2.2" rims may work for you.

Gearing isn't the only issue, the issues are fitment, clearance and gearing. From what you said about yours, it does sound like a set of 12mm hex 2.2" rims may work for you.

The fitment shouldn't be an issue providing I can get 12mm hex's that work.

Clearance isn't an issue either, the wheels are well clear of everything else.

Gearing - I'm in the water so it shouldn't matter, though it's impossible to get any other gears for a Rage.

random9.gif

I'm just about to order the parts you linked to me to start with, but how do I know that the sand paddles will definitely fit the 2.2" wheels? The sand paddles don't say how wide they are.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I'm just about to order the parts you linked to me to start with, but how do I know that the sand paddles will definitely fit the 2.2" wheels? The sand paddles don't say how wide they are.

Cheers,

Both of them are 2.2". All 2.2" rear tires and rear wheels, are the same width so they will definitely fit. The ones olds linked will definitely fit each other.

Back