building a 12v power source out of a pc thermaltake 450watt power supply...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
is 450 watts enough? I got one laying around thought I would make some use out of it.

What is the 12 volt amp rating of it? I use a 20 amp power supply that runs at 14 volts normally. Very few batteries have I ever charged at over 8-10 amps but it is useful to be able to run a couple chargers at once.

looks like a good supply.. with both 12v rails combined its capable of 34 amps. I just converted a 480 watt supply and it works great... Instead of using the resistor i used one of the case fans on the 12v rail to bump up the voltage.. I also used all of the 12v wires and teh same amount of ground wires to my plugs. Figure you cannot have to many

I just did a video on this very topic not to long ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrG51gaVj-k"]How To Pick The Right Size Power Supply For Your Lipo Charger - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the amperage for it. Its 430 watts not 450.
2013-02-17_12-17-45_149_zps853e8830.jpg

So this psu be good to go for this little project....

I'm going to eliminate all the unneeded wires so only 2 are exiting the case. the positive and negative probably use 10 gauge wire unless I should go with bigger like 8 gage maybe?

Just put all your 12v and same amount of grounds together. That's what I did and just used the wire loom to bundle it all together. All mounted inside a tool box with cut outs for the power and fan and banana plugs on the outside.

According to newegg it does have 2 12V rails one at 18A and one at 19A. Strange though cuz typically the PSU case will list both rails and their ratings. At any rate, that should be enough to power small to moderate chargers

Last edited:
Well got it made. Going to add rubber feet to it. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it....

2013-02-23_16-25-02_829_zpse6efaa4e.jpg

All the excess wires I clipped and covered the ends with a piece of heat shrink...

The lines coming out of the PSU should terminate in female bullet connector instead of males for safety. Just something to think about.

That and most chargers have male ends as well. Hard to plug male into male.