Budget engine recommendation?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have an old Nitro MT1 with the .15FE engine. I believe it to be a bit tired, it starts ok here and there, sometimes it's a real pain once it dies after running it. I feel I have to keep the idle higher than normal to help it stay idling.

So the drivetrain is stock for the vehicle, 1spd Transmission which I'm debating swapping to 2spd.

Are there any budget factory engines I should consider, I'm thinking new would be best.

Any recommendations on size, I know bigger is more power. I'm looking for power, ease of keeping it running I guess that would be tunability? Unless my entire problem is glow plug related which I'm using a medium temp glow plug with traxxas fuel.

I might do Roto start, generally I'm,good with a pull start but my arms are killing me from this engine, although I'm thinking it's just the tired ebgine.

Is there a certain type of engine I need that bolts right into the frame?

I ran an OS 18CV-R in my nitroMT when I had it. Was night and day better than the stock engine. The stocker only had one tuning needle.

You might be able to find a newer HPI3.0 to drop in it. Then you might not need the engine stand offs. I think the 30 comes with the holes/threads in the crank case too. If not, you need the little stand offs as well: https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/A863 I couldn't find them for sale anywhere... I'm sure you could use something else.

This engine has the same footprint to use the engine without mounts like the one you have, I think:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-15107-Nitro-Star-T3-0-Engine-w-pullstart-Nitro-RS4-3-EVO-/131894485761