BTA Steering and other updates

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadk9420

Broke Down Driver
In Memoriam
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I think my Comp Rig is finally about done, the latest update is I have now switched to a BTA (behind the axle) steering set up and finally got some aluminum wheels which are Mayhem Eng. Green Anodized Spiders, and I put the Axial under drive gears in the rear axle. I also have a new custom painted Grapler Pro body coming soon.

Here is a few pics of the new changes to my rig.

Steering Set Up
P1070146Small.jpg

P1070148Small.jpg

P1070145Small.jpg

P1070144Small.jpg

P1070191Small.jpg

P1070188Small.jpg

P1070187Small.jpg

P1070186Small.jpg

P1070172Small.jpg

Mayhem Eng. Aluminum Spider Wheels
P1070121Small.jpg

P1070124Small.jpg

Tell me what you think, I am not real sure about the new steering set up, it kinda limits the steering left to right, but I have dig so I think It will be ok, I just hope that the lack of linkage out front to get hung up on will make up for the lack of steering.:\ I guess I will find out come Saturday at my next comp.:D

Very nice!

Love the look of those Spiders.

Would high steer or max clearance knuckles increase the steering throw in that setup?

finally got some aluminum wheels! lol jk. ya bta looks pretty good, guess since you got dig the little less throw isnt gonna screw ya and now atleast you wont be hangin up on and putting pressure on the horn like before...

Very nice!

Would high steer or max clearance knuckles increase the steering throw in that setup?

Thanks, Not sure, it might help a little but sence you have to cut off the forst hole on the knuckle I don't think it would make much difference.

finally got some aluminum wheels! lol jk. ya bta looks pretty good, guess since you got dig the little less throw isnt gonna screw ya and now atleast you wont be hangin up on and putting pressure on the horn like before...

Yeah yeah!! LOL!! finally got some, that's what I am hoping.

Looking good man. I guess there aint much of that ARTR left anymore huh, lol.

Nope not much at all, axles and tranny is about all that's left, and those have had things done to them as well, LOL!!!!

Very nice!

I think it would along with the Axial CVD and the Vanquish High steer knuckles I am getting some crazy throw from my shafty. I have the same BTA drag link on my shafty. So with the Axial CVD, Vanquish knuckles, and The Jetboat BTA you get some crazy throw.

007-10.gif

Sweet.

Just looked into the Jetboat setup on RCC. I think I am going to pick one up.

I think it would along with the Axial CVD and the Vanquish High steer knuckles I am getting some crazy throw from my shafty. I have the same BTA drag link on my shafty. So with the Axial CVD, Vanquish knuckles, and The Jetboat BTA you get some crazy throw.

007-10.gif

Thanks for the info Chip Now I know what knuckles I need to get more throw, what size space or did you even use a spacer between the knuckle and the drag link?

Thanks for the info Chip Now I know what knuckles I need to get more throw, what size space or did you even use a spacer between the knuckle and the drag link?
I didn't use one at all.

Thank you sir!!!! I see that you have your servo turned the other direction and are running a much shorter link from the servo horn as well, hopefully I can get mine to work this well when my new knuckles show up....One other thing that is different about your set is that you have the drag link flipped over, mine is the other way so it clears the shocks.

Last edited:
Well after a little tweaking of the steering drag link and the 3 link mount and some taller spacers between the drag ling and the knuckles I got a little better steering out of it, no where near as much as Chip has but still better then before, it will just have to do until my VP knuckles arive.

Doesn't look like much but it made a difference.

Before
P1070187Small.jpg

After
P1070237Small.jpg

Before
P1070186Small.jpg

After
P1070236Small.jpg

But it is still pigon towed which bugs me, kinda like the drag was drilled wrong or just doesn't work with Axial aluminum knuckles
P1070233Small.jpg

P1070234Small.jpg

Last edited:
Got My VP Knuckles

My VP Knuckles came in the mail today as well as my Heavy Duty Ring and Pinion gears, got it all installed and it makes a huge difference in the amount of steering i get now, I only have one upgrade left that I can think of and that is going to be cromoly lockers for my front and rear axles.

Before VP Knuckles

P1070236Small.jpg

P1070237Small.jpg

After VP Knuckles

P1070300Small.jpg

P1070299Small.jpg

That's sweet man. Ah crap but you still gotta watch out for me ;)

Back