brushless e maxx setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken_civic

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
wires need moved, it's still not a completed deal, i have some modifications to do. but i am very impressed.

e-maxx chassis. i got this from my brother in florida about a year ago, it was missing front+rear skid plates, screws, motor, radio equipment, serve saver, steering pins to hold the adapters and a few other things...

i got a castle creations 1900kv motor a few weeks ago and ordered a mamba max esc on from castles garage sale/black friday sale.

well, the mamba max max voltage is supposed to be 3s lipo, 11.1 volts. i decided to give it a shot with 2 tenergy 4200mh 8 cell packs wired in series with a adapter i made. i had a lot of problems with the esc re arming, servo quit working and a few other things, i think that was too much voltage or amps for the servo/esc. i had a old nitro battery adapter to hold 4 double A batteries, removed the red wire from the plug on the esc, used the battery adapter pack with 4 aa batteries, and the mamba max esc on 19.2 volts. all i can say, is this truck is bad ass. i broke the front wheel off today running into a curb though. heres some pictures, dunno if i have a picture with the battery box instaled.

battery and esc both stay cool. neither get hot.

DSCN0664.gif

Looks cool, be prepared to by some aluminum tranny gears, I found them at RC4WD, At least that is what I had to do along with CVD dive lines and axles, but as long as you take it easy you might be ok, but from the sound of things you don't plan on it, LOL!!!

I'd get rid of those tamyia style connectors as well. They can't handle much more than charging duties.

You might want to look at steel gears instead of aluminum or plastic. Robinson Racing Products makes some really good ones.

I'd just plain old stick with nimh batteries. Lipo's would rip that thing completely apart. I'd save some dough and find a 3905 roller to swap the electronics into.

i dunno if ima buy lipo's or not. if i get lipos, i'm prob. gonna have to upgrade the esc. those 2 batteries are about the same as 5s lipo. i wanna go with around 8s lipo if i went that route. the motors capable of spinning 60,000 rpm's according to kv/voltage it's only spinning 35,000 now.

60,000/1900=31.6/3.7=8.5

I'd just plain old stick with nimh batteries. Lipo's would rip that thing completely apart. I'd save some dough and find a 3905 roller to swap the electronics into.

ahh, i'm prob. not gonna buy anything else, i have enough already.

You might want to look at steel gears instead of aluminum or plastic. Robinson Racing Products makes some really good ones.

I have the aluminum RC4WD gears in mine and they hold up just fine to my Brushless Novak set up with spools front and rear.

Right now there's a brand new 3908 (brushless) and 3903 (brushed) roller on ebay for about 200. They both have pretty much the same stuff on them, and the newer trans can hold some big power too.

It's just not worth beefing the old E Maxx's up, due to the fact that they're so short. The extended chassis makes for so much better handling. What esc are you using civic? Even the Mamba Monster is only good up to 6s. 8 s would just be way too much. 2x2s 8000mah would be a nice setup. Plenty of rip, and a ton of run time.

Last edited:
That's reasonable! That chassis would be an awesome start to a tough Maxx. You could always swap your parts over to a chassis like that one, and upgrade as you need to. You would want the newest shafts and diffs on it right away though, or at least as soon as you went lipo. Or adapt to the new slipper and dial it in a little light.:)

the mamba max esc is rated for 3s lipo max i believe, they say you can put 4s on it. 3s lipo is 11.1 volts. the esc isn't getting hot, i used the gear that came with the motor, it's not absolutely the correct pitch but meshes well.(i'll change it later)

but with the dual tenergy 4200mah 8cell packs in series it's running 19.4 volts which is about the same as 5 cell lipo's i guess. the esc stays cool and the motor stays cool. nothing's shorting out or running shabby now that i put a spare battery setup for the receiver but i did just order a bec.

waiting on parts to come in. i ran it into a curb on accident and shredded it to pieces. i didn't realise it was so bad till i started taking it apart, it ruined the chassis where it holds the steering pins, the front left a arm, the front left lower a arm , cracked the skid plate,busted a couple shocks and all the screws were rusted. well i put new hinge pin screws in it, new pivot balls, new steering rod balls, it's pretty much gonna be a brand new truck when i'm done. "which it was before besides the rusted screws. it handles pretty well lowered with the wider a arms. i was trying to do high speed runs and shift it to show my brother just how fast it was up the driveway.

DSCN0684.gif

DSCN0687.gif

DSCN0689.gif

heres a couple more of the rc's i got.
evader was a ext. it's been converted to full ball bearings(transmission and wheels), steel idler gear, novak esc, speed gems 13t double, rpm wheels with proline road tires running on 3s lipo. it's pretty quick..
DSCN0697.gif

DSCN0690.jpg

heres my vendetta, 9200kv motor, steel rear axles, motor heatsink with fan, losi 2.4ghz receiver, aftermarket wheels with street tires running on 2s lipo with castle esc.
DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

and stampede basher, i'll prob. start rebuilding this soon with new parts to replace the scuffed up parts and just store it, it had a velineon kit on it till the esc burt out. i dunno what happened to it, ran fine when i shut it off, turned it back on fan came on acted like it was working but never worked. i ordered a mamba max esc. just waiting for it to come in.
DSCN0705.gif

DSCN0707.gif

think ima clean everything up today. it's pretty dirty now that i look at the pics.

Last edited:
That motor next to that esc just looks so wrong. The water just adds to the effect.:)

lmao, theres a lot of snow on the ground here, i had to take it for a quick spin, i couldn't resist. it's ok. nothing is really damaged.

i'm considering sticking the esc and reciever in baloons and zip tying them. the steering servo is a traxxas waterproof servo that wasn't so waterproof, i ended up taking it apart and siliconing it back together before that run.

Last edited: