Brushless conversion?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRain

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a number of times for various cars. I was wondering if all I'd need to convert a brushed motor electric car to brushless would be the motor and ESC?

I have the following cars and I'm undecided which to try this on but since my NiCad batteries are shot I thought I might:

Tamiya Grasshopper 2
Bycmo / Deagostini Subaru Impeza

I haven't introduced these cars to the forum yet because they're sat in a box.

The Tamiya is sentimental because I saved for it with a paper round and is pretty old now. Think I bought it in around 97-98.

The Bycmo was an expensive waste of cash that isn't worth any money, it was a build it by magazine episode thing and cost way more than it was worth.

Both were fully built by me and both run but the Bycmo needs something for the rear shell support as from memory it's sagging at the back.

I'll get a photo of them both when I'm back home.

That should be all you need, but remember that brushless tends to put a bit more stress on the drivelines in my experience.

Yeah, on an electric rig, all you need is the motor and esc. And hamz is right, there will be a bit more stress on the driveline. Brushless will work fine with nickel based batteries, but with the power, runtime and price, Lipo is where it's at. I would think (not knowing much about either vehicle you mentioned ) that something in the 3000-4000KV range would be aplenty to bring a grin to your face.

Thanks guys, I think I'll see what condition the Subaru is in and maybe try it with that.

Any pictures of the Subaru I remember seeing this as a kid on t v the first issue was 99p an included something like a tyre then the rest was 10 pound maybe an over 300 parts was it? If this is the same

Any pictures of the Subaru I remember seeing this as a kid on t v the first issue was 99p an included something like a tyre then the rest was 10 pound maybe an over 300 parts was it? If this is the same

I think it ranged between 4.95 and 6.95 from memory. All the magazines are probably still up in the folks loft too.

I'll get some photos when I can!

Back