Brushed esc and steps involved

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatcraig

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Hey guys I wanna change my sec since the one now got wet and doesn't act right. I've already messed up and don't now how to get started or what's involved, any tips or help with the steps to doing this will be appreciated.

Which vehicle are you working on?

Replacing the esc can be easily done in omost 1/16 or larger RCs... the smaller ones sometimes have a receiver/esc combination.

HobbyWing has some quality brushed ESC's that I would recommend here, select the one that's appropriate for your scale car:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/quicrun-brushed-system

You'll need a soldering iron, I recommend practicing on spare wire first and it's VERY easy to solder.

1) You don't need an expensive iron only thing that matters is you invest in a quality chisel tip that is wider than the diameter of the wire you are soldering, also wear safely glasses because sometimes solder can flick around unexpectantly.

2) Tinning is the process of wetting the tip with solder and applying solder to connector/tabs as well as wiring before bonding. I recommend placing a small dab of solder paste on any surface before tinning to make it phenomenally easier to get the flow of solder going.

3) Do not use solder any thicker than 1mm, I prefer 0.6mm solder to get more control of the flow of solder

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/cheap-but-effective-soldering-iron.111/page-2#post-13833

As far as the sequence for soldering goes, just work on transferring 1 wire at a time over to the new ESC so you don't lose track of the polarity between the red/black wires, it's really that easy!

lookup old esc specs
match those or go up in amps operating voltage is also a factor match the old esc voltage input
solder wires and battery plug many companies offer a pre soldered plug heat shrink wrap all joints
ask before you buy this time
try to go with a known maker
some you need to calibrate to radio gear .Do that watch esc lights they can tell you alot
I think thats most
good luck send me a pm if you require any help

Which vehicle are you working on?

Replacing the esc can be easily done in omost 1/16 or larger RCs... the smaller ones sometimes have a receiver/esc combination.
I'm working on an scx10.3 Bronco