brush cleaning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race-a-holic

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Probably asked a million times,but my cooper seems to be slowing down,and I'm thinking the brushes need to be cleaned.Never done it before.Any suggestions?Please keep it simple for a new guy.Thanks.

What RC is it or what motor do you have in it?
Many can be cleaned or rebuilt but some can't.

Need more information.

race-a-holic said:
Probably asked a million times,but my cooper seems to be slowing down.

Is that a Trinity P2k Copper Head motor? If it is you can rebuild it. I'm not an electric guy but when I did run electric the motor was regularly cleaned, oiled and I used a com stick. If you have been using it for a while it might be time for a rebuild. If memory serves me right FastEddy rebuilds them for a good price.

I've heard them called a J-motor.It is for a Tamiya mini cooper.Don't know much else about it.

If it was a stock Tamiya motor it's most likely not rebuildable, post a pic of it.

Need a pic of it to tell you.
Sometimes its best to get an inexpensive motor (25-35.00) rather then mess with a so-so one that isn't easily rebuildable

I looked and it looks nothing like my other motors.Don't see how to even get to the brushes.On whatever motor,how do you clean brushes?

Tamiya motor have a sealed case the only way to work on them is prying the tabs up on the back plate to acsess the motor's inside. you would be better off buying a diffrent motor that you can be easly worked on..But if you really want to use that motor, take a small flat head pry the tabs on the back plate, open motor, clean the com and brushes, there are 2 holes on the back plate, take 2 needles or paper clips pull the brushes back, on the opposite side insert the needle so it holds the brush back, repeat on the other side. this will hold the brushes so you can put the back plate back on, bend tabs down, pull needles out, brushes should pop back on the com.

I bought a suzuki swift today and have bought a new J motor for the cooper.

hi you got a minicooper motor yes you can't pull the apart but you can run in a clean andrun the backows to break them in

Back