broken front differential shaft! Please help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunkvilletx

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The left front differential shaft broke today where the dogbone goes into it. Does anyone know how to change that out?

It's on a rs4 rtr3 evo+

Thank you

You have to take the wheel off, the pop of the 2 ball joint things.

Not the part closest to the wheel it's the other one in the middle front

you mean the acutal differental? Does it have a shaft with gears on it? kinda looks like a lowercase t?

You'll have to take the diff off and open it up. It's pretty easy. Once you get it apart there's a small gear held on with a e clip. Pull that clip and pay attention to how it comes apart. I'd suggest having the new part ready. You can also buy a complete gear kit for those diffs if you choose.

It's just the shaft coming out of the diff.. I thought maybe I could just unscrew it or something. So I have to take it all apart to replace just the shaft coming out?

Yea that's exactly what it is, do you know anywhere that shows how to do it? I just got this car 3 days ago and someone already broke it :(

Ok I took the front of the car apart just now and I got the diff out. What can I expect when I take that apart?

Just make sure you get all the screws out. If I remember there's one kindof out of place. When there all out it'll come apart pretty easy. Just pay attention to how it comes apart, take pics if you need to but it's really pretty easy. If your doing it tonight and need anything else, let me know. You can PM me if you need.

ok thank you! I'm going to work now but later I'm going to my lhs and getting better shafts so maybe next time they won't break. Then when I get home I'll try and get it done. Thanks for all the help

Sweet! I got the parts today and I already have it all back together! It wasn't to hard. And only cost about 8 bucks. At least I know I can fix anything on the front end because I had the entire front of the car apart. Thanks for all the help!!

good to hear you solved the problem. How in the world did you break one of those? A few of mine have nice grooves in them from too much torque but I never managed to break one.

Well I had the car for two days and I let my girlfriends brother drive it and 2 minutes later he was going about 30 right into a curb but he manage to turn and almost save it and it hit barely and flip up onto the curb

yea my first reaction is to hit the breaks... Usually

Glad you got her going again! Bad things allmost allways happen when you let a noob drive your rig. Does'nt stop me but I just like fixing them anyways!

Yea and it was funny because right before we got to her brothers house I said "watch I bet he's going to break it"

Back