Breaking in Electric Engines? Does it need to be done? If so, how?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhatman

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I recently heard from some people that you are supposed to break in new electric motors. I have only heard one way, and it sounds very stupid.

They say to run your motor for about 3 minutes in water with no resistance, at about 1/8 throttle. Also, dont put your hand in the water when running it.

It is supposed to make your brushes have increased life and performance.

Please help me.

Thanks a lot.

-Pat (redhatman)

I usually brake mine in while bathing. I run an extension cord to the bath tub and set my charger in the edge. If you add Mr Bubble to the water it will make some great suds. Make sure you put a prop on the end of the motor your breaking in. Jut need to watch out that you don't cut your Talleywacker off.

In all seriousness, they should be broken in. If you have a charger that has a "motor run-in" feature that helps. Some use the water method but I don't like mixing electricity with water. You can also do it by mounting it int he car and run it with 1/4 throttle for 3 minutes to get the brushes seated correctly.

All the people I know that race, including myself, will break the motor in after rebuilding the motor. If you look at the brushes and the serations are pretty much worn down, you can either get rid of them or reserrate them with another tool. Cheaper to just buy new brushes.

the best way I do a run in on an electric motor is to hook up three c-cell batteries (or equivalent) and let the motor run them down.

make not of the polarity though.

The only thing I do to mine is about 15 minutes at 5 volts to break in the bushings/bearings - After that, I don't break in the brushes. That's the way I've been doing the electric thing for years - haven't had a motor fail me yet.

funny but the water thing actually would work....motors will run under water and infact they run like a bat out of hell but wear the brushes down real quick......100% conductor baby...and this is not part of the joke....as long as you dry the motor off when you pull it out...(huhuh huh huh I said pull it out).....you'll be fine...just spray it w/ DA to dry all the peices off really well......I'm sure this was a great method to break in brushes like 30 years ago.....there has to be a much better way of doing it now.....and I have an almost new Duratrax Ice charger that has motor break in features...I'll trade anyone w/ a triton charger for it.....I just didn't get into electrics like I thought I would...too much hassle and prissy equipment for my tastes....

I've tried the water break-in and it seems to work. They say the water adds a bit of load to the motor while it's running and it helps to seat the brushes while washing away all the grit they give off. Like Plaid said, when you're done, dry the motor well and lube the bushings/bearings.

I've never done it...hell I've never "broken in" any of my electric motors...LOL...those are the toy cars....I know that just pissed off some electric guys but it's just not for me...fun just the same.....but I did try running it under water just to test it recently after a littel kid came into my LHS asking the guys about making his motorized underwater exploration vehicle....this 7 or 8 year old kid was actually building some cray contraption and told the guys there you didn't need to cover the motors they run underwater....well they all laughed and as soon as he was gone they were pullin a bucket out and testing it....they told me the story and I had to go home and test it too.......

after you change the brushes and true the comm you need to break-in the brushes. this all depends on the type of brushes you use. on normal brushes you run them with no load at 2.5 volts for 200-300 seconds or until they are fully seated. on xxx brushes you need to do 300 secs @ 2.0 volts then 100 secs @ 3.0 volts, then 100 secs @ 2.0 volts. i normally break in my motors 200 secs @ 2.5 volts.

:shrug: I thought electric was just turn it on and go...... :D

electric racing is a science. races can only be won by the combination of smooth driving and perfect setups. this is why i grew to love electric touring car racing. instead of getting knocked around and put out of commission by hacks, i am only racing with the seasoned drivers. if i break something, it is due to my own messup and not the other drivers.

Ok, thanks a lot guys...
-Pat (redhatman)

Uhh, what about a blrushless, does it need its cherry poped too?

ever use water to clean ur motors out. watch dirt, dust, grime, foam/rubber, carbon, all kinds of stuff blow out when u put ur batter and motor lead together.

good way to clean em

-Ult

sl0eg1n said:
electric racing is a science. races can only be won by the combination of smooth driving and perfect setups. this is why i grew to love electric touring car racing. instead of getting knocked around and put out of commission by hacks, i am only racing with the seasoned drivers. if i break something, it is due to my own messup and not the other drivers.

I was just kidding....most of the people I know only race electric TC......I wanted to get into it but the support Equipment to really do it right was astronomical.....charger, 100 for a decent one....discharger 50?.....tire truer ??....comm lathe, 150-200....then the tires, buy a set of new tires then cut 70% of the foam off....?!?!?!?!......then the battery packs.....I dunno when I got a TC3 I thought I would try the races...thought I had mine tuned and was pretty fast....NOT....I got lapped 4 times by the next to last guy......very humbling experience......

hmmmm... that sucks plaid. I hope my experience is better. Back to breaking in motors. Do you HAVE to do it this way? couldn't you just run it mildly on the street for a couple minutes untill it gets up to speed? or does this way give it MUCH more performance? i don't get why you woul dhave to put it in water? ill keep reading the thread.

Diver6127 said:
You can also do it by mounting it int he car and run it with 1/4 throttle for 3 minutes to get the brushes seated correctly.
That's my kind of break in :D

do you also have to break in the motors on the rtr cars? Like when I get my rc18t rtr in a couple days, do I need to break in the super 370 motor?

what do you think? its an electric motor with brushes....why would it be any different then any other electric motor?

Back