Bought my first Nitro buggy.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derkoi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey,

I've come from an electric Tamiya background a fair few years ago & I've just bought my first Nitro buggy 2nd hand. A Hobao Hyper 7.

Thing is, at the moment I don't have a clue about Nitros, just starting to learn. Not started the car yet, not going to just yet (no fuel for starters. lol).

The car is dirty, missing the bodyshell & I'd like to clean it.

What should I know before I do it? Should I dismantle it, clean and rebuild it or should I try n clean it without dismantling it. I've ordered a new bodyshell for it.

Here's a pic. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 145
Yank the engine and all the electronics....and use your favorite cleaning method really. I use a simple green mixture, a garden hose, an air compressor....and some WD40 to finish it off, but everyone has their own methods.

Congrats on joining the Nitro family ;-)

Personally when I get a new vehicle I tear it down and check everything out and replace anything thats needs attention. I will normally replace bearings if needed and rebuild the diffs with my fluid of choice. The great thing with this hobby is that there is no wrong way to do it, so find a method you like and have fun.

WAIT! If you are unfarmiliar with disassembly of RC rigs, this is what I did and still do when I feel uncertain.

As I remove screws and parts, I replace the screws back into the hole so I know what screw goes where.

That and I take pictures regularly as things come off so you can look back and see where and how it goes back on.

Other than that, shine that baby up!!

WAIT! If you are unfarmiliar with disassembly of RC rigs, this is what I did and still do when I feel uncertain.

As I remove screws and parts, I replace the screws back into the hole so I know what screw goes where.

That and I take pictures regularly as things come off so you can look back and see where and how it goes back on.

Other than that, shine that baby up!!

Thanks, yeah I was thinking about the screw thing. I have a few video cameras including a gopro camera with headmount. Was thinking of filming the disassembly and then i could watch it back for reference. :hehe:

In case you didn't get a manual with it, go online and look for Hobao Hyper 7 .pdf or Hobao Hyper 7 manual.
It will have the complete parts list and the exploded diagram.

Took the engine, electrics and fuel tank out and gave it a good wash. Had to use a rotary tool and score a couple of screws (5) as they wouldn't come out with a hex. :ahem:

Anyways I installed a HoBao 2.4ghz radio system in there instead of the AM set it came with & added a bodyshell as it didn't come with one. :whhooo:

Attachments

• 470674_10151840481740593_903629335_o.jpg
    470674_10151840481740593_903629335_o.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 290002_10151840497765593_870984109_o.jpg
    290002_10151840497765593_870984109_o.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 139
Sweet buggy! Looks good all cleaned up now. can't wait to get my first one. I'm looking at the hpi d8s or the losi 8ight and the 8ight-t.

Man that looks great...good job there!

And Zdragon I personally would lean toward the Losi 8ight IMO. Its such an awesome buggy.

Yeah I'm leaning towards both the 8 and 8T and probly gonna get the 8T as a kit and add savox servos and what ever engine i decide at time of build. Maybe the novarossi 7 port .28 with a turbo plug.

Nice looking buggy.

Back