bought a hpi rs4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrodeur30

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
got a hip rs4 from a guy for 200 and once i got everything setup(receiver, glow plug igniter) I was going to start it up. at first i started the engine the car would accelerate with out me telling it to do then i accelerated and it stalled and shut off. then i tried to start it yesterday and it made a thumping sound and wouldn't move
help me please

Can you spin the engine over by hand by turning the flywheel by hand?
Pull the glow plug & try spinning it over again.
While the plug is out look down the hole with a bright flash light & look for any damage to the top of the piston.
You can also pull the backplate off it to see into the engine.
If you do see damage the it's time to pull the engine apart & see what let go.

4ynydu9e.jpg

My piston

The engine is probably fine. Check all your components one by one. Plug, starter, batteries, receiver, servos, linkages, screws... Nice ride. Get familiar with every piece. Youll get it rippin

I had it going but my second run it just wouldn't start

My standard answer pull the engine and check the clutch shoes to make sure they are not stuck to the clutchbell. It sounds like some of the signs I have seen in the past see if the clutchbell spins freely first if not then you may have a stuck clutch shoo to the bell causing it stay engaged.

i will try that but what will about it not starting

Make sure you warmer is fully charged. Since you have the plug out put the warmer on it and see if it glows. If it does not glow start with a new plug.

An RS4 with a black block, is that an SS.18 engine? I have one years ago and it was a great engine, easy to tune and plenty of power!

If your clutch shoes are stuck or broken it won't start unless you have the tires off of the ground, and it would still be a pain to get going.

If your clutch shoes are stuck or broken it won't start unless you have the tires off of the ground, and it would still be a pain to get going.

From my personel experience very true and sounds close to the symptoms you are having.

e2udyzu5.jpg

---------- Post added at 6:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:40 PM ----------

zuqabeby.jpg

clutch looks ok do the shoes move freely? you may want to make sure your connecting rod in the engine isn't broken.

I would set the HSN (high speed) and LSN (low speed) needles back to factory specs and start from there... especially if it's an e-bay purchases (different region).

You can turn the needles counting the number of rotations in until they stop (carefully & lightly until they stop so you don't damage the needles) and logging the turns as a reference point so you can go back to if necessary.

Find out which engine is on that RS4 then google for the factory needle settings. Your going to need this info in the future anyway when/if you need to reset back to factory settings. It's just a starting baseline for tuning.

Not exactly sure of the engine you have... but I just bought a new HPI T3.0 for an RS4. Pulled it out of the box and the first thing I did was to see where the factory needles were set at... YMMV

High Speed Needle = 1.25 turns out from bottom

Low Speed Needle = 3.25 turns out from bottom

I'm using 20% fuel what type of setup should i have

Back