Bored and looking up random stuff for my nitro truck.. lol

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah costly for sure. I jus got my infinitive exceed nitro in and decided not doing any testing tonight.. gonna read up some more and try n get a better grasp of things lol. Tomorrow i will trial run tho! See if i can get the rich/lean mix down.. maybe not fiddlesticks my engine right from the go!

Always figure out how many turns that the needle settings are from factory settings.
Turn them in an count the turns as you do ,an write them down as a future reference!
An also when you finally get a good tune take notes on those turns as well!...:cool:

Always figure out how many turns that the needle settings are from factory settings.
Turn them in an count the turns as you do ,an write them down as a future reference!
An also when you finally get a good tune take notes on those turns as well!...:cool:

Roger that! Wish me luck! Too bad i gotta work in the morning.. wont get to run er till the afternoon.

SUPERCHARGER? Did someone say Supercharger?
I was wondering if anyone would ever start a thread about them. It's about time.

Supercharge it!!!!! Lol

Man if you could find a supercharge that worked it would be wait for it

TOTALLY AWESOME

Man if you could find a supercharge that worked it would be wait for it

I know some people! Ill make it happen then you wire me some money!?!? :thumbs-up::thumbs-up::naughty:

TOTALLY AWESOME

I have a Roots type blower mounted to a Hpi intake on a picco, 28.in a custom build traxxas savage
runs by remotely runnning a small motor on the frame and is pulled with a 1/4" kevlar belt.

kinda like the mad max car. its an "at will' type blower

I have a Roots type blower mounted to a Hpi intake on a picco, 28.in a custom build traxxas savage
runs by remotely runnning a small motor on the frame and is pulled with a 1/4" kevlar belt.

kinda like the mad max car. its an "at will' type blower
Pics?

So ran a full tank.. keeps.reving high i set the highspeed to factory.. seems to b the transmitter its like when i have the throttle.or whatever set high it idles to high and wheels spin but if i lower it it shuts off

Pics?

So ran a full tank.. keeps.reving high i set the highspeed to factory.. seems to b the transmitter its like when i have the throttle.or whatever set high it idles to high and wheels spin but if i lower it it shuts off

You have to adjust your idle. If u hit the brakes and it shuts off, your idle is too low. You want a .5-1.0mm gap in the carb slide at idle. I use a medium paper clip, open the idle and set the idle gap so the slide just rests on the paper lip when the throttle is closed. (There's a screw on the back of the carb, thats your idle screw. Open the idle gap by turning the screw in. Put the paper clip in, then slowly turn the idle screw back until it touches the paper clip. Make sure your throttle trim on the radio is centered also.) you idle should be set first before tuning.. NEBER TUNE A COLD ENGINE!!!! get your temps up before trying to tune it. Hope this gets you started

Pics?

Have you ever set your servos and radio?
take savers off servos. center the trim knobs for both the steering and throttle. turn the steering wheel a few times making sure it centers every time then re-install servo-saver.
do same for throttle.
I use a 1.0mm allen wrence to adjust my idle screw. its easier than trying to keep track of a paperclip

Throttle trim cam also be used for easier starting. turn it a bit when you are going to start the engine so it keeps the carb open a bit when you start cranking. then re-center it after its running

Last edited:
You have to adjust your idle. If u hit the brakes and it shuts off, your idle is too low. You want a .5-1.0mm gap in the carb slide at idle. I use a medium paper clip, open the idle and set the idle gap so the slide just rests on the paper lip when the throttle is closed. (There's a screw on the back of the carb, thats your idle screw. Open the idle gap by turning the screw in. Put the paper clip in, then slowly turn the idle screw back until it touches the paper clip. Make sure your throttle trim on the radio is centered also.) you idle should be set first before tuning.. NEBER TUNE A COLD ENGINE!!!! get your temps up before trying to tune it. Hope this gets you started
Awesome thanks man.. yeah that makes sense i will try that. I def think right now.my carb is opened too much.

Have you ever set your servos and radio?
take savers off servos. center the trim knobs for both the steering and throttle. turn the steering wheel a few times making sure it centers every time then re-install servo-saver.
do same for throttle.
I use a 1.0mm allen wrence to adjust my idle screw. its easier than trying to keep track of a paperclip

Throttle trim cam also be used for easier starting. turn it a bit when you are going to start the engine so it keeps the carb open a bit when you start cranking. then re-center it after its running

Thanks. Yeah thats what I've.kinda been doing when i woulsnt start.. turning that trim up cuz it did seem to help it start.

Awesome thanks man.. yeah that makes sense i will try that. I def think right now.my carb is opened too much.

Thanks. Yeah thats what I've.kinda been doing when i woulsnt start.. turning that trim up cuz it did seem to help it start.

Once you figgure out how to tune a nitro engine.starting becomes way easier.
mine usually start in a couple seconds from their last tune, but then, I'm not a stickler for that "perfect tune" as long as it smokes, goes fast and doesn't constantly die out, I'm good!

Back when i had time for the hobby and was "hardcore into it I bought 4 new engines within a month.Picco P3, NovaRT7, LRRP32.
well manufactured engines really give you a sense of a tune. The nova and Picco were real turds below 250 degrees, then they would "wake up" and you could tell when they did
The Losi and F4.6's i had usually "woke" up at 225 degrees with little noticeable difference
Thats the reason you warm them up and tune them. I never really had a problem with the HPI motor. they provide good performance and are pretty easy to tune. My first one still runs like a champ after a few gallons

Attachments

• engines1.JPG
    engines1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Once you figgure out how to tune a nitro engine.starting becomes way easier.
mine usually start in a couple seconds from their last tune, but then, I'm not a stickler for that "perfect tune" as long as it smokes, goes fast and doesn't constantly die out, I'm good!

Back when i had time for the hobby and was "hardcore into it I bought 4 new engines within a month.Picco P3, NovaRT7, LRRP32.
well manufactured engines really give you a sense of a tune. The nova and Picco were real turds below 250 degrees, then they would "wake up" and you could tell when they did
The Losi and F4.6's i had usually "woke" up at 225 degrees with little noticeable difference
Thats the reason you warm them up and tune them. I never really had a problem with the HPI motor. they provide good performance and are pretty easy to tune. My first one still runs like a champ after a few gallons

Damn. I may need a new engine before too long, do "hot glow plugs" make a difference for winter time? I've noticed theyre are diff kinds lookin around online.

Cold, medium, and hot plugs have absolutely nothing to do with engine temperature.
If you want to run in the cold you need to cover the cooling head with something to help retain heat. This way you can set the high speed needle rich enough for the cold air, while maintaining an acceptable engine temperature.
I have actually cut down cooling heads in the past for the purpose of running in cold weather.
If you think tuning is tricky already, then I cannot recommend cold running. This adds a great deal of complexity to something that may already seem difficult.

Cold, medium, and hot plugs have absolutely nothing to do with engine temperature.
If you want to run in the cold you need to cover the cooling head with something to help retain heat. This way you can set the high speed needle rich enough for the cold air, while maintaining an acceptable engine temperature.
I have actually cut down cooling heads in the past for the purpose of running in cold weather.
If you think tuning is tricky already, then I cannot recommend cold running. This adds a great deal of complexity to something that may already seem difficult.
No, less complex the better. Hah. So hot glow pluh would b the easiest?

Will this help starting easier ?

Electronic 80100 Glow Plug Starter Igniter Upgraded 6V-24V
Will that help much woth getting started??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170108-134949.png
    Screenshot_20170108-134949.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Say WHAT? A glow plug requires 1.2 to 1.5 Volts DC. 6 to 12 will burn it out instantly. I'm guessing that it's an ignitor you can clip on a battery and the component in line is to REDUCE the voltage to 1.5 maximum. Don't waste your money.

Damn. I may need a new engine before too long, do "hot glow plugs" make a difference for winter time? I've noticed theyre are diff kinds lookin around online.
One, and only one, particular motor i run below 0 degrees. it has been a very faithful motor i bought off epig(ebay) it was so gummed up when i recieved it none of the rotating parts would even turn and i thought it to be a "lost cause".
after a few days of soaking and scrubbing to remove the "gum" it turns out i got a very nice engine with very few runs. he is my cold weather fellow. he never lets me down even at temps below -20 (its completely wrapped with a rag and aluminum foil at those temps) my OS30Vg is a cold weather runner!

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 136
One, and only one, particular motor i run below 0 degrees. it has been a very faithful motor i bought off epig(ebay) it was so gummed up when i recieved it none of the rotating parts would even turn and i thought it to be a "lost cause".
after a few days of soaking and scrubbing to remove the "gum" it turns out i got a very nice engine with very few runs. he is my cold weather fellow. he never lets me down even at temps below -20 (its completely wrapped with a rag and aluminum foil at those temps) my OS30Vg is a cold weather runner!

Damn those are nice. Why the wire ties on the motor? Is that not one piece?

Damn those are nice. Why the wire ties on the motor? Is that not one piece?
i run mine without lids and roll cages alot flops over and skids down the dirt less chance of the head top getting scraped up.
plus it looks cool when they match everything else...lol ( mine dont, of course)

i run mine without lids and roll cages alot flops over and skids down the dirt less chance of the head top getting scraped up.
plus it looks cool when they match everything else...lol ( mine dont, of course)

Hahahah ohhh i gotcha. Nice lookin rigs man. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up, itll b time to run mine and upgrade!