Blast from the past

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnskevin58

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
here are two Pre-production Dumas hawk Hydroplanes that the designer Gary Prusses gave us (people who knew him and ran at Lake Ida) alongside him, to test build to check the kits out for laser cutting flaws, fit, and general assembly before Dumas mass produced the kits.
The yellow one we narrowed, runs a K&B 3.5cc with throttle exhaust.
The red boat is a Dumas 3.5cc kit with K&B 7.5cc throttle exhaust.
Both ran FHS Oils 40% and both have JR Alpina PCM radios and Speedmaster hardware.
The bottom boat was a Aeromarine Lightened version predator w/ K&B 3.5cc outboard with Magic Muffler, only 2 lightened versions were ever made. Basically, only one layer of fiberglass and less gel coat.
These boats have been raced for years and are still in ready to race condition.
Pics are of them in the 90's and today.

DSCN4814.JPG
Hawk20.jpg
a 151.jpg

Last edited:
@LibertyMKiii would love these! 👌
best of all because I ran at the same pond that the Minute breakers club Gary and Ron Zaker Jr. used to test and develop the hawks at, I was able to watch the development of the hawk and get inside tips and tricks on building them that wasn't offered in the general public kits.
The 3.5cc hull was so big we narrowed it and even put a 7.5cc in the other 3.5cc hull.
I also have some hand drawn blueprints from Gary laying around somewhere. That DQ roll in the top image is hand drawn templates from Gary. I still have them somewhere. I grew up in Illinois, this how I came to know Gary.
I think he gave out like 10 kits, and I think I am the only one left to have mint as built and raced pre-production kits left.
I even bought the engines from Gary "Hand built engines by Gary (G&M Models) and if anyone knows Gary and his link to K&B The best of the best K&B produced tolerance wise, engines still run like new even being almost 36ish years old or so.

Last edited:
That is an awesome vintage nitro HP boat
Thank you, I don't run them on water anymore (I don't have any place to run them close by) but, I do run the engines a few times a year to keep them fresh. The engines are highly modified, boost ports, piston skirted, timing, stuff like that.
After about 6 years of racing only had one crash seen on the red boats sponson top, now repaired and painted red. I hit another boat and damaged the sponson tip. If I remember correctly it was during the 2nd race I was at after building it. I hate autocorrect.
That is an awesome vintage nitro HP boat
Thank you, I don't run them on water anymore (I don't have any place to run them close by) but, I do run the engines a few times a year to keep them fresh. The engines are highly modified, boost ports, piston skirted, timing, stuff like that.
After about 6 years of racing only had one crash seen on the red boats sponson top, now repaired and painted red. I hit another boat and damaged the sponson tip. If I remember correctly it was during the 2nd race I was at.

Last edited: