Bigger is BETTER (The Sequel)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patience_my_ass_buzzard_trucker_hat.jpg

Well, this has been on hold for about 6 months. I was getting set up to start the interior when I did a fast search on eBay. These H1 models are almost impossible to find any more but one just showed up. He wanted $99.99 plus $22 shipping (or best offer)
I put in an offer of $100 shipped and I got it. It's not the New Bright, like the other 2, but the Nikko. The bodies look identical. I just didn't want to let it get away in case I decided to do another. I LOVE those big H1s.
Unless someone has any other cool ideas, I think I'll be doing the canvas top slant back without the doors. I'm thinking of leaving my current build in the solid olive drab and doing full camo on this new one.

s-l1600.jpg

FYI, @Rolex, Slant backs are all hardtops. The pick up/SUT/wagon versions could all be cloth tops (without a gun mount). I drove them in the army shortly after they came to Ft. Riley. I had access to all manuals up until I got out.

That's what I referred to as the SUT ($passengers+bed or Sport Utility Truck) Like the civilian H3. And that's the first military style HMMWV that I've seen with a spare since they all had run-flat tires.

I'm getting ready to get back into it, @Certified Mike and I'll be adding pics as I go.
Thanks for the good info, @hamz9561. We had the ton & a quarter Dodges when I was in so I didn't have any info on these H1s other than I think they're incredible.
I didn't know about the spares. Apparently they're only thrown on some of them in combat zones, from the pics I've seen.

I would LOVE to pick up a duece and a half...bobbed truck. But then again... I have seen some VERY cool slip in camper type units... I think they call them a radio something or other, but they sleep a bunch of ppl... WAY cool truck to head out into no where with and camp for a week or 2!

I would LOVE to pick up a duece and a half...bobbed truck. But then again... I have seen some VERY cool slip in camper type units... I think they call them a radio something or other, but they sleep a bunch of ppl... WAY cool truck to head out into no where with and camp for a week or 2!
You could build it... RC4WD.com makes scale versions of the axles under the Deuce. They call it the Blackwell.

I have seen some VERY cool slip in camper type units... I think they call them a radio something or other
I'm guessing that's what used to be a Commo truck. (Communications, radio equipment, power generator and the like)
Overland-Expo-2012-078.jpg

I think this one would be called a CAMO COMMO...comma...CAMPER

I'm guessing that's what used to be a Commo truck. (Communications, radio equipment, power generator and the like)
Overland-Expo-2012-078.jpg

I think this one would be called a CAMO COMMO...comma...CAMPER
More than likely a service van. The Commo van usually had mounts for hollow masts on the side.

Yeah @Rolex !!! That's the one!!! That's a KILLER rig!!! I know, totally impractical and all that. They will only do like 45-50 mph... But they will do that while towing a house!!!

@hamz9561. Yes, the Rockwell axles (1:1) are a very desirable axle to have when building a VERY LARGE 4x4 (pick up, suburban etc... Type build) they were available with super tall gears which work well when running 44", 50" tires!!! The ratios make for a very comfortable final drive.
While the reality is I will likely never own such a beast, I would want to build a 1:1 duece and a half

Having driven them, I can tell you that they are no fun to drive. The transmission has an odd shift pattern and they have no power assist on their steering gear.

Back