Big block vs small block flywheels clutch setups?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So do big blocks have different size flywheels and clutch setups compared to the small block nitro engines?

I bought a team Orion crf .21 3-port engine, it’s a big block. My flywheel won’t fit on it from my nitrostar .15fe.

Do I just order any flywheel clutch bell setup for a big block or are they standardized?

I’m also trying to find engine mounts/ engine blocks whatever they’re called, and again not sure if this is standardized or not?

Thx

The nitrostar 15fe had a keyed flywheel to work with the threaded shaft. Odds are, you just need a normal one.

Any big block one should fit, but you will also need a set of big block shoes and a new bell.

This is about as generic as it gets, you will need all that:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-Clut...e-Nut-for-1-8-RC-Model-Nitro-Car/202212627708

And odds are, some shims to get the flywheel lined up and tightened down properly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HoBao-OP-0129-Shims-Clutch-Bell-Kit/192706257329?epid=11025282903

Big ones go behind the flywheel, small ones go behind/in front of the clutch bell bearings.

The nitrostar 15fe had a keyed flywheel to work with the threaded shaft. Odds are, you just need a normal one.

Any big block one should fit, but you will also need a set of big block shoes and a new bell.

This is about as generic as it gets, you will need all that:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-Clut...e-Nut-for-1-8-RC-Model-Nitro-Car/202212627708

And odds are, some shims to get the flywheel lined up and tightened down properly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HoBao-OP-0129-Shims-Clutch-Bell-Kit/192706257329?epid=11025282903

Big ones go behind the flywheel, small ones go behind/in front of the clutch bell bearings.
Thank you! Very helpful post!

Now if I get a higher tooth count will that make it have a higher top speed?

I’m wondering with the size and torque of the engine, if I should give it a longer gear ratio, maybe this will make the drivetrain last longer too?

If it's replacing a fe15, then it should be able take higher gearing which should soften the bottom end up a bit. The alloy shoes may not be the best option then. They will work, but usually with alloy, your trying to get a clutch that hooks up harder.

I think a traxxas sized flywheel will fit as well, which has shorter shoe posts and uses thinner shoes and bell. 1/8th scale clutch shoes are wider, so the posts for the shoes are longer, the bell is longer as is the crank shaft. I only mention it as you may find it difficult to fit a big block in that chassis as it is, so any space you can scavenge from the front to move the engine forward will help.

So, might want to look for a 1/10th flywheel/clutch instead. I'd suggest using a 3-shoe vs the traxxas 2 shoe as you will get more clutch grip... or, again, you may want it to slip some, but with the 1/10th shoes, they may be more likely to rip apart with the torque of a big block beating on them...

This may be a compromise:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-Tra...um-3-Piece-Clutch-Conversion-Set/192697309257

Alloy shoes, they are hard 7075, so they will slip some, but be stronger than a 2 shoe composite. That's a 1/10th clutch, so you would use a 1/10th bell. The NMT uses mod 1 pitch spur. Most 1/10th use 32p or mod 8. The revo uses M1, so you could find the bells for it and get one of those. Should work with the above flywheel/clutch as well. Then you end up with a thinner flywheel/bell system that will help shoehorn that engine in there.

Don't forget bell bearings. Traxxas uses abnormal sized bearings for their bells. They are larger than most which are 5x10.

Grabbed this from a 2.5 revo manual, first number is the traxxas part number and each lists the bearing to use:

5214 Clutch bell (14-tooth)/5x8x0.5mm fiber washer (2)/ 5mm eclip
(requires 5x10x4mm ball bearings part #4609) (1.0 metric
pitch)................................................................................................... $12.00

5215 Clutch bell (15-tooth)/5x8x0.5mm fiber washer (2)/ 5mm eclip
(requires 5x11x4mm ball bearings part #4611) (1.0 metric
pitch).................................................................................................... $12.00

5216 Clutch bell (16-tooth)/5x8x0.5mm fiber washer (2)/ 5mm eclip
pitch)................................................................................................... $12.00

5217 Clutch bell (17-tooth)/5x8x0.5mm fiber washer (2)/ 5mm eclip

So I wanted to support my local hobby shop, was an expensive venture but the engine is all together!

I did use a traxxas flywheel, clutch setup! I appreciate the help! Now I just need to figure out how to mount the engine once I get my adjustable mounts in.

Attachments

• 7FF6BB02-4FBD-4D78-A6E9-819CDF87B0B4.jpeg
    7FF6BB02-4FBD-4D78-A6E9-819CDF87B0B4.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 148
I also bought a savage exhaust header and what sucks is I thought I had one, didn’t find it in time, so bought a new one, and now today I found it....... oh well lol

Back