big block it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtdrifter

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I hanent recieved any comments to my first post yet but this a question I have been sitting on for a while to I already said I'm goin to br buyin my first next week I'm gona buy a extra engine for it as a just in case kinda deal and idk if I wana go bigblock or small block? What are the trade offs of each plz help thanks

Redcat volcano s30

Save the money and get a rig that has better aftermarket and part support. In the mean time, drive the wheels off of that rig.

I was thinking of using red cat for a while are there any other model big blocks that will fit up to it? And what are the pros and cons of big/small block ebgines?

Okay I understand where ur comming from redcat probably is not the best quality but I can get an assembled truck and remote for 205 $ my old lady is always ob my ass about how much I spend on hobby stuff plus rc is not my only hobby I am also into comitition car audio so I spend a lot on that my reasoning for goin with redcat is its cheap to buy and cheap to fux if I told her I was spending 600+ dollars on a rc truck I woyld be in deep poop lol I'm okay with havingto fix it when it breaks and the 20 dollars her 50 dollars there thing I just can buy a giod tryck cuz she would flip.....so I deside that ima also get the redcat sh.28 bigblock as a replacement engine what all upgrades do I need to make if I put that bigger engine on my truck ?

Look into RCNTs for sale listing closer to the bottom of the forum page you'll find a good deal on a slightly used r/c anytime you look....there are a lot of quality rigs down there!...couple savages! maybe some buggies!

I'm not real familiar with that model but I do know that if you are able to mount a decent BB engine on it you will destroy the drive line very quickly. It just wasn’t made to handle that kind of power, that’s why it comes with a weak SB engine.

Pro’s of a BB engine: More power/torque available at the finger compared to most SB engines.

Cons: More fuel consumption, Harder on the driveline than a SB. Fitment issues on most 10th scale MT’s.

I understand the old lady whining about the $$ but it’s like the old commercial: You can pay me now, or pay me later when purchasing the off brand RC's.

If you want to go BB, you would be better off buying a used savage and then drop in a new BB when needed IMO.

The truck I got has a big block already it is a sh .18 o just wanted a bigger bigblock lol

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Okay so I just thought about it if the .28 is to much power what if I get a .21 that shiuldnt hurt the truck to much should it?

The truck I got has a big block already it is a sh .18 o just wanted a bigger bigblock lol

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Okay so I just thought about it if the .28 is to much power what if I get a .21 that shiuldnt hurt the truck to much should it?

The SH.18 is not a BB engine. You may be able to fit a OS.21 but you will want to check if you will have enough room for the rear exhaust as the SH.18is a side exhaust I believe.
If your SH.18 is a rotary carb you would also need to change the throttle linkage to fit a slide valve.

Save the money and get a rig that has better aftermarket and part support. In the mean time, drive the wheels off of that rig.

Actually the .18 you have is a small block and a mild one at that. As I stated above, save the money and buy a better quality rig. The money that you'll spend replacing parts from destroying them with big block power will almost always cancel out the price advantage of buying a cheaper rig.

With either the .21 or .28 you're still going to be destroying parts.

Okay what truck do u recomend then I want spmr thing that can bash and drift well

Savage X 4.6 or A Revo. can't go wrong with either but at the same time what kind of driving do you want to do with it? Bash how? - Drift like an onroad or drift thru the dirt? MT, Truggy, Stadium truck, etc.. Answer some ?'s and we can help you make a logical decision. I will agree with most everyone that has posted - Don't waste your $ on the Redcats and ACME vehicles. Invest in a name brand and get a name brand products quality. Invest in a crap name and get...well...crap.

Dirt like clay track and bashing like off road pkus small jumps

For what you're looking at doing, the Revo would be best. It has a better suspension and has more National Championships than most of the other trucks on the market. It's also a blast to drive.

Comparing the Revo to the Savage is like comparing running shoes to combat boots.

These guys know their stuff i use to have a girlfriend that would get pissed at the $$$ I would blow on RC and computer parts. Unfortunately in this hobby I've learned already that if you want to go cheap at least get a used traxxas or HPI like they said. Parts especially for traxxas are plentiful and affordable. Heck even a cheap stampede or rustler since your that concerned on price IMO because i think I understand some if us can't afford a revo or summit :p

Back