Better Truggy Control

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

500 Mike

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have only been in the RC world for about 9 months now and am learning more and more about it seemingly every day. Very glad I got into it, even at my "advanced" age (over 60)!

I bought a new Losi Eight-T RTR truggy late last year. It has all the stock components except for upgraded diffs (all 3). My question lies with control of the vehicle. I have a local track that I have practiced at a couple of times so far. And both times I struggle to even make 1 lap without running off track several times per lap no matter how slow I seem to try to go. Either the steering is too slow and I don't make the corner or most times too fast and I end up over correcting and vering off course. I spoke with a very knowledgable long time racer who suggested I get a different radio to replace the stock Spectrum DX2E transmitter so that I could have better control. I seem to be looking for a more linear feel versus the either almost no turning to way too much turning with just a small amount of steering input. I have messed with the ST Rate knob on the transmitter but that didn't seem to help me much. Is a new transmitter what I need or is it something else? Also, if I get an upgraded transmitter will I need a new receiver.... and a steering servo too? I have a ton more questions on this but lets start here. Thanks for indulging a newbie! If this has been answered in a previous thread, please point me in that direction. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

A good radio can make a big difference compared to crappy little stock radios plus they have LOADS of extra features and tunability you dont get with stock radios. I would look at something in the middle or high class categories from Sanwa. Link HERE. I have one of their middle class models, albeit an older discontinued model, and its night and day difference when compared to stock or budget radios. This will help but it still takes a lot of practice to stay on the track especially at speed. Not that good at it myself but there arent any tracks close to me so I mostly just bash my kits. lol. Oh and Futaba is another really good brand of radio you can look at as well. Also, with Sanwa (and I believe most all radios) come with one receiver but they have multiple model memory so you can buy additional receivers and use the same radio for multiple kits.

For Servos You can't go wrong with Savox (personal favorite), Hitec, Sanwa/Propo, and i believe Futaba. I say "I believe" because Ivbe never personally used Futaba servos but they are a known good manufacturer so I'm assuming they are good too. For the money Savox is hard to beat imo. You dont necessarily need to replace the servo but stock servos arent very good so you probably will want to replace it. At least at some point. I can't tell you the best specs for a racing truggy cuz I dont race but once you get an idea from an experienced racer thats the brands Id look at. I dont know if you plan on becoming an actual racer but if you do then next time consider getting a race kit instead of an RTR. Race kits are generally more expensive compared to what you get but theyre typically built with better "race quality" parts and they dont come with any electronics or wheels so racers can put their favorites in there. If yore just going to play around on a track and you dont care about actually racing then none of that matters and when you repalce your servo just buy the fastest and strongest servo you can in your price range. At least thats what i tend to do :)

Next questions! :)

Thanks for the detailed reply, Greywolf!! I was leaning towards a Futaba radio but I've heard good things about Sanwa too. It comes down to how they feel in your hand between those 2 is also what I've been told. I have big hands to I've heard Futaba might be a better choice there? I need to hit up the local track on a race night and get my hands on each of those before making a decision. Folks there have been super friendly and more than willing to help out and discuss things. I am not sure if I will ever race or not but would like to be able to get around the track fast enough to make a decision on that some day. Right now it would be.... no way!! I'm just trying to figure out if I am really that bad or my equipment is holding me back!! Sounds like it's a mix of both. I'll get a new radio one day soon and see how much that helps.

I just bought the Spectrum DX5 ,it is descent ,along with the 3 channel smart rec.!
Sanwa is good too ,was my first choice but didnt get it because the one I wanted
was out of stock in the U.S.

I run the Send-it servo 458 as steering ,all stainless steel gear ,$ 90 bucks
but if interested ,may can get a discount!..:cool:

https://www.sendit-rc.com/servos?category=HV271

Also ,Send-it has produced a new racing platform 1/8 scale kit ,Nitro & E-word versions!

Here is his line up of tools ,this is a good friend of mines vid!..:thumbs-up:

Thanks for the tip on "Send-It RC", cbaker! I had never hear of them but it look like they have some nice servos and more at good prices. I'm not ready for the servo upgrade just yet but will keep it in mind for sure.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Greywolf!! I was leaning towards a Futaba radio but I've heard good things about Sanwa too. It comes down to how they feel in your hand between those 2 is also what I've been told. I have big hands to I've heard Futaba might be a better choice there? I need to hit up the local track on a race night and get my hands on each of those before making a decision. Folks there have been super friendly and more than willing to help out and discuss things. I am not sure if I will ever race or not but would like to be able to get around the track fast enough to make a decision on that some day. Right now it would be.... no way!! I'm just trying to figure out if I am really that bad or my equipment is holding me back!! Sounds like it's a mix of both. I'll get a new radio one day soon and see how much that helps.
You can't go wrong with Sanwa or Futaba. It is all just personal preference. That being said I got pretty good sized meat mitts myself and the Sanwa feels fine to me but your on the right path by checking them out first and see which one "fits" you better. I'm pretty sure all the Sanwas and Futabas come with different sized removable hand grips for people with big or small hands. :)