best way to video an R/C by yourself when you are driving?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I don't really have anyone to help me video my RCs, and the few people I do know have absolutely no experience with cameras, and I don't trust anyone besides myself to run my LST2 WOT as its a handfull. Whats your recommendation on the best way to get some decent video When you are driving and trying to work the camera all at one time?

I've seen a few people at my track with cameras on there hats. Looks kinda silly but it works!

Brandon

I made a holder for my phone that attaches to my hat. Trying to film by yourself with the camera anywhere else but the head/hat and you will not get the rc in the frame most of the time. Your head naturally follows the rc.

You guys are way off lol. If you have a gopro attach one of the clips to your tx on the battery tray so the camera hangs down or on top of the battery tray below the trigger and shoot some shots. Watch my youtube videos itll let you see the shots I get doing the method above.

thanks for the advice I wish I had the money for something like a go pro.. but I can only afford one hobby and RCs are it for me :). that tripod looks interesting i wonder if I could make that work with my Tx. I am restricted to the camera I have which is about the size of a SLR, so mounting it to a hat or something like that might not be possible... hrmm I have to think about this one.. I may just have to train someone to help me..

When I record racing I use a GoPro with the headstrap. It's great when marshalling too, but you have to try not to alter your head position too quickly or viewing is a headache.

GoPro's are the best for almost everything....heck, gopro gave proof of Jeff Alessi shining a laser into Ryan Villapoto's eyes during motorcross in Washington.

I just really don't have the money for a go pro. I would rather not video my rigs at all if it means I have to get a go pro. I would rather spend the cash on tools, parts, and hopups. I was thinking of using that posable tripod and wrapping it around my head or something of the sort.

What about a flip video camera? I got a HD one before a deployment, they're reasonably sized and have decent prices.

Gopros arent much, I paid $160 about a year ago for a used 1st release one with a 32gig sd card. Save your pennies up, you dont need the latest and greatest version.

How about an old cellphone with a camera strapped to your hat?

lol.. thats the thing I do want some decent quality. I was looking at some go pros, and found some older versions I could afford, For record quality I want at least 720p at 30 fps

The GoPro 1 has likr 8 differant settings for quality. I shoot 720 30fps, minus HD when I edit. Then I slo the footage down 1/2 to give realistic movements that of a 1:1 vehicle.

Back