Best RTR nitro buggy for ~$450?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killionaire

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What's the best ready-to-run nitro RC buggy for close to $450? I looked at the HPI Pulse 4.6 and I like it a lot. Is there anything better for this price?

Team Durango DNX408 1/8 Competition Nitro Buggy Kit is on sale for 369.00 right now and while it would take a bit more than a total of 450 bucks because, being a kit, you would have to buy an engine and electronics. Its all the rave right now from what I'm hearing from some Canadian friends I have that have been racing them. Id try to swing this if it was me personally. they normally retail for $599

or there are some other options. Kyosho Inferno NEO Race Spec 1/8 Off Road Buggy w/KE25 & Syncro 2.4GHz Radio System is decent RTR for 350ish

Kyosho Inferno NEO Type-1 Ready Set 1/8 Off Road Buggy w/Syncro 2.4GHz (Blue) is $329 not really sure how race worthy either of the Kyosho kits are as I dont know alot about Kyoshos but I know that Kyosho has a really good rep. overall.

Team Associated RC8RS Race Spec RTR Buggy is $429 RTR

Those are most of the better buggies I see that are in the ballpark of what you listed. I'm not sure how race worthy any of these are except the Durango. If it was me Id get the kit and then save up my money if I had to in order to buy the other stuff you need. Otherwise just about any buggy you buy for $450 or less will make good bashers just most if not all of the 300-450 dollar ones are not race worthy...to get up into something thats race worthy your talking minimum of 600-700 bucks typcially. Just like the Durango if you actually bought a racing engine for it thats another 250-400 bucks depending on how serious you are and might as well say at least another 75-100 bucks for good servos. and thats all hoping that you have your own electronics.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's gonna be my first nitro rc car and I don't know if there's a track near me. All I had before was a few toy electric RC cars without proportional steering. They suck. I'm also considering buying a mugen.

Indeed, the cheapies suck. You're stepping up to the real world of RC cars. It's an addiction that's hard to break. :)

nevermind

Last edited:
nevermind
you change your mind about buying a buggy?

Mugen is the best brand in RC IMO but its also one of the most expensive. You wont lay your hands on a mugen with good electronics for less than what 1000? 1100? Something like that. I think the kit is between 600-700 bucks. A top end racing engine is what 300-400 bucks and high quality servos is probably another 125-150 bucks, could be more if you really go with high end servos. Its no doubt youd have the baddest kit on the block though :)

I hate to spoil the party but a buggy is not the way to go for a first rc. I would get a savage, Tmaxx, or and associated MGT. These have more ground clearance and are near the budget you posted. All of these trucks do come rtr so less investment out of the box and they all have great support. Welcome to the board and the hobby.

I have to agree. A buggy is not great for a starter vehicle. I also agree that a monster truck is the way to go. The only other truck I would add to the list is a good Traxxas Revo.

I hate to spoil the party but a buggy is not the way to go for a first rc. I would get a savage, Tmaxx, or and associated MGT. These have more ground clearance and are near the budget you posted. All of these trucks do come rtr so less investment out of the box and they all have great support. Welcome to the board and the hobby.

+1 I've owned an array of nitro rigs over the past years. For your first nitro RC you really may want to look into the Monster Trucks either 1/8th or 1/10th. I never had a full size MGT, the mini mgt id stay away from. The savage is great, it holds up to alot of abuse, but for some it can be a pain to work on. Many people swear by traxxas, and would say get a T-Maxx or Revo. A T-Maxx is nice but IMO the savage can handle more. The revo is great but its more of a racer than a basher. In the end it all comes down to what you want, and what fits your budget/driving style.

you change your mind about buying a buggy?

No I didn't change my mind. I just said "nevermind" cuz I wanted to delete my last post but couldn't. What's wrong with a buggy for a first car?

What they are saying is true....unless you plan on bashing on a track everytime you go out a Monster Truck makes a way better starting kit than a buggy because they have more ground clearance you can drive them practically anywhere while buggies are mostly only good on a track. I would urge you to look into getting something like the HPI Savage X or if it too much than maybe look into getting its little brother the XS. Although the XS is electric and not nitro.