Best first rc rock crawler/trail truck (1/10th scale)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBASHERJEDI21

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am wondering on what crawler or trail truck will be a first crawler purchase because I would like to get into crawling, because I am into bashing currently and being in the RC hobby for 6 years I would like to get into the more scale crawling, trail driving.

Any ideas anyone

If you are wanting 1/10 scale, the TRX4 is supposed to be pretty good. So is the Redcat Gen 8.

We have 3 Axial SCX24's, and if you like modding/customizing they have been some of the funnest RC's I've ever worked on. There is almost an endless supply of hopups and mods for them. But I love small scale stuff, so I'm used to the tiny screws and such. Here are a couple of our lil guys.

We also have the Axial Ryft, which is a rock bouncer. I know it's not really in the crawler category, but I am so impressed by the quality and overall enjoyment of building it that I wouldn't have a problem recommending an SCX10. I also would like to get the Capra some day.
20220322_003054.jpg

I have the Redcat Gen8, SCX10iii, and TRX4. While all work well out of the box, the TRX4 has the best base platform and best out of the box performance. The Gen8 has decent aftermarket goodies, but the SCX and TRX4 has a huge aftermarket base, so plenty of resources to go scale and/or upgrades.
0615211729a.jpg

There are so many great choices for 1/10 crawlers and I don't know any of them that folks have said "do not purchase".
Of course some run better than others but for the most part, that's fixable.
That's the exciting part about crawlers, they can be built up to what we want. 1/24s are really becoming popular and are a ton of fun in a little package.
I have a couple Redcat's, "Gen 7 and Everest 10 which are a ton of fun and the Gen 7 is modded.
I also have a couple Axial SCS10 based builds that I really like.
I can't judge the TRX10 yet but it will definitely be in my arsenal.

You guys know I have to toss in my vote for Element. Any of the Enduro line is a solid choice. I love the Sendero HD and the Ecto. Both come in at under $400.and perform well out of the box and have decent after market support. Also the new Bushido has my attention.

Last edited:
I was just going to edit my post @Doom! and say Element definitely has sparked my interest.

The TRX4 sport is mine back when it was still completely stock and the Redcat Gen 8 is my wife's. The TRX4 Sport is more capable out of the box and drives better overall. Also has far better aftermarket support.

Either way I would pull the stock ESC right away and throw a Hobbywing 1080 in it and make sure you get the programming card. Night and day difference with how you can make it perform.

People love the TRX4 Defender but it is an incredibly top heavy truck that takes a fair amount of tuning to make up for the weight from what I've seen.

I've heard good things about the Element trucks but haven't had any personal experience with them.
PXL_20201108_194210360.jpg

I have two Gen8’s, Element Ecto (gatekeeper kit without the cage), 2 trx4’s and trx6. The Ecto is pretty amazing once your get the suspension straightened out and trash the wheels/tires. Ecto does not have portal axles so it sits lower but with the long skid and trailing arms it get caught up more. The long skid (rails really not the skid itself) really holds it back imo.

Gen8 is fun and a good deal but cannot compete with my other crawlers it just does not turn well no mater what I do. Looks scale on the trail and is fun though, good price.

Trx4/6 are bette out of the box. Sport or the sport kit would be my choice. It really needs nothing to do well and you can live with the stock tires for a while because they suck less than the other brands stock tires. Plastics are extremely tuff, I have not broken a single thing on 3 trx3 based rigs I own. For more scale look and of course more money the fancier trx4’s are nice with the unlockable diffs, two speed transmission and the best lexan bodies around.

I don’t own the Axial basecamp but it would definitely be one to get as I have played with the other scx10iii models. The basecamp has a lower transmission (and lower price) and is made to compete with the trx4 sport. The Scx10iii higher end models are complex with more things to go wrong and in my opinion do not perform as well as the high end trx4$. The steering angle is better on paper than the trx4 but on the trail out of the box tests I’ve done it’s not really any better until you start fooling with it. They use universals instead of cvds which the trx4 uses.

Out of these I mentioned there really isn’t a bad choice so it might just be the one that looks the coolest to you.
Here’s my modded Ecto showing off its climbing abilities.

Last edited:
Thank you guys I will look at the specs of each one
Also I might look at a Axial Capra, trx 4, and some other crawlers out there

The only crawler I own is the redcat everest. I switched out the stock motor for a 28t. Was sooo slow to start. Didn't seem to affect crawling but goes a blistering 7 -8 mph now and goes over or through anything. I also installed a servo in the back attached to a signal reverser so it turns amazing. Easy great addition, just buy a couple steering links. I made studded tires for the winter icy conditions. Super inexpensive truck and highly recommend for budget.

If scale is your thing, can’t beat the TRX4 Scale and Trail trucks, for a first rig. Personally, I think the lexan blazer looks the best and is less top heavy than the defender or plastic body vehicles. Traxxas plastic and robustness is top notch. Honestly though, if I were just starting out at this point and wanted to build a kit, I might consider going straight to vanquish If you imagine yourself ever rebuilding your truck to be an LCG, SCX10 is a good starting point. RC4WD is excellent for pure scale, but often lack in performance. Like others have already said, go with what you like best. Can’t go wrong these days.

Hello everyone I am wondering on what crawler or trail truck will be a first crawler purchase because I would like to get into crawling, because I am into bashing currently and being in the RC hobby for 6 years I would like to get into the more scale crawling, trail driving.

Any ideas anyone
If your looking for trail truck the trx4 is nice with 2 speed trans. If you want crawler performance out the box the element ecto is hard to beat. Comes with overdrive options.

thanks you guys I will look at them and their specs to see which one if the right one for me

My personal recommendation is to go all out on the one you really want.. I made 2 crawler purchases with generic bodies vs licensed bodies and recently ended up spending on the new K10.. With I skipped buying those first 2, then I would have more funds to invest/focus on the 1.. But, if you got the funds, do what you need to do, go bananas.

Trx 4 is awesome out of the box. I like the TRAXX and the 400 red servo. Brushless motor.
20230502_080301_resized.jpg

With the Traxxas Sport you only have 1 servo, no need for micro servos. Less to go wrong. You won't have a 2 speed Transmission. hi or low gear. But it will be a rock solid crawler. I put the TRAXX on this because I like them in the snow.
20230124_095942_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
If i were in the market for my first rtr crawler, i would be looking at element ecto or gatekeeper, trx4 sport, or capra 4ws. Obviously capra is a bit more rock than trail oriented. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these rigs tho, pick whichever looks the coolest to you 😎

The TRX4 sport is mine back when it was still completely stock and the Redcat Gen 8 is my wife's. The TRX4 Sport is more capable out of the box and drives better overall. Also has far better aftermarket support.

Either way I would pull the stock ESC right away and throw a Hobbywing 1080 in it and make sure you get the programming card. Night and day difference with how you can make it perform.

People love the TRX4 Defender but it is an incredibly top heavy truck that takes a fair amount of tuning to make up for the weight from what I've seen.

I've heard good things about the Element trucks but haven't had any personal experience with them.
View attachment 154512
Thats a great picture.

Back