best clutch for OS 18TZ

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
trying to decide on what clutch to pick up.
from reading it looks like the buku, m2c and werks are all good.

i do not race just looking for something that will grip well, i was leaning towards the m2c as i read it has great grip, the price is good but i wish it had a top pin brace.

what do you guys think?

m2c is great for the price and last ages ,I have over 2 gallons on mine and the shoes will probs go for another 2 easy.

Thanks for the reply
What engine are u using the clutch with also are u using 3 or 4 shoe?

Thanks again

Buku has my vote. I have one in all of my rigs,

i have one a picco .26 red dot and I have another on a .28jl max .what rig are you putting that engine in? another cheaper option is an strc setup ,its basically the same as the m2c but doesn't come wit the different spring sets. both of mine are 3 shoe sets.

I used to use ascendancy clutches but they went out of business o_O will probably go Buku next time.

truck is hpi bullet mt. i have upgraded all drive shafts and cup joints to hardened ones and everything has been holding up,
i think I'm going to go with the m2c 4 shoe clutch with adj steel flywheel. is the heavier steel vs alum flywheel the way to go?
here is a photo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127515794@N04/15068259239/#

do you need to start with a new clutch bell when switching to alum shoes? if yes should i stick with the same size which is a 13t? I'm sure its preference but i have only used the stock one so not sure what a different size would drive like.

Last edited:
You dont need to switch clutchbells just from switching to aluminum shoes. As long as the CB works with the clutch your buying.

Any input on going with the heavier vs lighter flywheel they have two diff ones.

If i were to change your CB with one that was + or - one tooth without you knowing is this something you would pick up on shortly after driving some? What about + or - 2 ?

Thanks again

a lighter flywheel will allow the engine to hit max RPM faster but that isnt always a good thing. If you engine revs up to fast it could cause your tires to break traction easier and could cause handling problems. At least thats what i understand about flywheel weights. I've never messed around with em much myself.

You might notice a 1 tooth difference in a clutchbell but probably wont be enough of a difference for you to care one way or the other, 2 more noticeable, 3+ teeth will have a fairly noticeable impact on top speed and torque.

Back