Best bearings for picco max . 26 not red dot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSampson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know about boca bearing is that the best replacement bearing or is there better and which set should I buy thanks :first_place:

The ceramic bearings from boca are the best replacement bearings I've heard of.

The stock replacement bearings are great. I'm not sold on the ceramics unless they are the real expensive high grade ones.

Ceramics are only intended to roll a little smoother, and cannot be expected outlast the stock ones. I wouldn't spend the money unless you're into some hardcore racing.

I strip it down to just block and heat all around outside with propane torch. They usually fall out once heated up good and freeze new bearings and heat block to drop new ones right in.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpwsjYoxM0&feature=player_embedded"]How to remove and install RC Nitro engine bearings Pt. 1 with David Mills - YouTube[/ame]

Nice method! I now need to add a hot plate to my tool wish list.

Hey i got one of those! Just can't let mother catch me heating up an engine block on it. She will assume its destroyed afterwards if she sees it being done.

I lost my first Red Dot to a bearing failure. After about 5 gallons the inner bearing decided to drop out a ball and beat the crap out of the piston. Funny part of this story is I found only half of a ball. I believe it (the one ball) actually split in half before it fell out. besides that the inner bearing was for the most part, still intact. There has to be a better bearing than stock.

461189442_photobucket_149095_.jpg

At roughly 3,000,000 revolutions per gallon, I'd say the bearing did great, especially for a stock one. With the amount of stress a bearing see's through break-in on a tight picco, they should be changed out at the 3-4 gallon mark, that should be considered normal maintenance on any engine. I have no doubt that after 15,000,000 revolutions it got a little tired and let go. The next bearing to go in should last quite a bit longer due to the fact that most everything has loosened up so there is a lot less stress on the internals. Same goes for the rod, if you can imagine the wear that occurs on the bushing after that many revolutions.

Right! Don't blame the bearings. I change them at roughly 3-4 gallons for that reason.

Wow I thought I was being objective, I didnt mean to offend anyone or there opinion. I simply wanted to point out that there was on obvious flaw in one of the "balls" in my inner bearing. A hardened steel ball does not "split" in half unless it was flawed. Now some could argue that because it was obviously bouncing around inside the engine could have broken it, but i dont think so.

And you can also argue that engine bearings should be changed out at a certain amount of run time. To that I would say... it wont hurt and go for it. For me, I can burn A 1/4 gallon of fuel on a modest day of play in my back yard after work. I can easily burn 2/3 a gallon on a saturday of playing. My point is A Red Dot can be very thirsty.

Also... Does that engine look abused to anyone? I assure you that as soon as I opened it up I snapped that pic. Is the coloration of piston and head button look good? or bad?

I may not be the best at communicating through a keyboard. I was simply sharing my experience. I dont blame anything nor am I upset.

After seeing this video I went to the local THRIFT store and picked up a hot plate for $1.00 today

Dub, I was not offended at all, I was only making a point that bearings should be replaced as a regular maintenance kind of thing, and I used your post as an example, nothing more. The numbers I used were calculated with a .28 in mind so a .26 should actually see more revolutions for the same amount of fuel. I was just trying to get the point across that you shouldn't think that these engines will run indefinitely. As an engine builder it makes me cringe a little when I think that my hard work may be tossed in the trash because of something like a bearing/rod bushing lets go and takes out an expensive engine. Sorry if my reply looked as though it was directed at you, that was not my intentions, rather an example where I could post some numbers and put things into perspective on what these little engines are put through. :)