Best Bang For Your Buck Soldering Station Advice Needed!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukedavis

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Boating
Hey all! I am in the market for a new soldering station. Any recommendations? I preferably want one with adjustable heat! -Luke

If I were to buy a new iron for myself today I would buy the $20 - Tabiger Kit (60W adjustable) which includes both a fine point tip and chisel tip.

I am still using my ancient RadioShack 50W adjustable iron that I got many years ago, and I would expect the TABIGER iron to perform equally, if not better. It's worth noting that the tips from RadioShack were junk, but I replaced it with a TENMA 21-10625 tip and that same tip has lasted me 5+ years and this may be the last tip I ever need to buy!

I just want to say that the tip is more important than the iron you select, be sure it's a quality chisel tip and that the width of the chisel is at least as wide as the diameter of the wire you are soldering. If the tip degrades and needs to be replaced, then switch brands until you find a quality tip that lasts, I highly recommend TENMA tips!

Here's a demonstration to show you that an expensive iron is not necessary:

I really don't know that much about soldering stations. But me and my uncle uses a Weller station. Its a 40W station. - WLC100

Been using it for 15+ years. Still does a good soldering job.

What’s a weller station??

Weller is the brand. Big name in soldering equipment. My dad always used Weller irons
Yea. Heres the one I got. Basic but gets the job done and does a good job.
Screenshot 2023-03-21 4.42.31 PM.png

Oh ok.. awesome to know

Last edited:
I've been using an older YiHua 936 model for the past seven years. A cheap copy of the Hakko? Um, probably yes.
1679458404831.png

If it dies, I'd get another one. It has served me well (after getting a larger tip). I just searched and couldn't find any like I have, but seen they have a newer version of it out now...
1679458618490.png

I have been really very happy with it for years and continue to recommend it! the Miniware TS101 electric soldering iron 65W temperature programmed. but there are other models of Miniware soldering iron always stylus.

miniware_ts101_side.jpg

I've been using an older YiHua 936 model for the past seven years. A cheap copy of the Hakko? Um, probably yes.
View attachment 162165
If it dies, I'd get another one. It has served me well (after getting a larger tip). I just searched and couldn't find any like I have, but seen they have a newer version of it out now...
View attachment 162166
That looks like it has a bit bigger wand than mine, like it can take the bigger tips. Greywolf hooked me up with a bigger sleeve and tip for mine, so hopefully I'll have an easier time soldering bigger gauge stuff.

They yihua 936 is a really cheap semi clone of the old Hakko 936. The Trakpower TK-950 is a 99% clone of the Hakko 936. The Trackpower used to be a good budget station that is quality but these days its almost as expensive as the Hakko FX-888D so theres no reason not to buy the Hakko instead. The Yihua station works but its very cheaply made in comparison to the other two. I did some comparison videos between the Trakpower TK-950, The Yihua 936, and another budget soldering station on my youtube channel years ago. Its long and boring but you can look it up if you want. Theres a full length version and a shorter version although the shorter version is still lengthy. I tested a lot of different aspects of those three stations though if its pertinent to anyone.

Last edited:
@Greywolf74 hooked me up with some beefy tips for my soldering iron. I am confident now I can easily solder 10awg and 8awg. So if anyone is interested in a decent soldering setup, with reflow station, for cheap... I highly recommend this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3640529208...pid=5336785883&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

With this barrel...
https://hakkousa.com/b3720-tip-enclosure-with-nut.html

And this tip...
https://hakkousa.com/products/soldering/t19-d65-chisel-tip.html

My soldering station is now in beast mode 😜

OEM tip and barrel (top) next to Hakko parts (bottom... derr).
20230324_155119.jpg

OEM left, Hakko right. Look at how much beefier the Hakko is.
20230324_155143.jpg

Hakko barrel only looks longer here because the OEM barrel is loose in the nut and sitting on table. Hakko barrel is held in place near face of nut. They are both roughly the same legth when installed.
20230324_155148.jpg

Beast mode
20230324_155546.jpg

And I even got a cool Hakko lighted pen in the box. How cool!
20230324_160913.jpg

Screenshot_20230324-161137_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Just for peoples info, Youll still need the smaller barrel for using the smaller tips even if they are hakko brand tips.

The Hakko and Xytronics stations are the standard of the industry. I have used them and, if taken care of, will last you for decades. The Weller is older tech and often not enough power - I have abandoned using mine. The great news is that there are great inexpensive choices today.

The solder -desolder station is desirable for taking apart circuits and such but prob not needed. That said, the one Wicked Fog showed is amazing. I have one. bought it to have a spare for a new electronics desk. It works great and I have been using it as my primary tool for 5+ years. use the heat gun rarely.

about 10 years ago, I got into racing and building 1/24 slot cars and you do a lot of soldering in the retro car divisions. One of the race suppliers - give credit to Rick Bennardo of RGEO products - suggested a cheap adjustable pencil to use at least for travel in my kit. the heat adjustment knob looked small and weak but I have had no trouble. link here:

https://www.amazon.com/LDK-Solderin...s=soldering+pencil&qid=1679751520&sr=8-5&th=1

I have soldered fluxed stainless wire as well as circuit and motor wires with it and have noticed no difference from my expensive stations. I put it to the test as my only iron for slot car building and racing for 6 years at home and at races and it never failed.

BUT - you need good tips. it seems all these devices have good heat elements and the control circuits work well if not abused. heat transfer IS the key. tips on cheap irons fail rapidly or don't tin properly. On all the less expensive items, order HAKKO brand tips in the size you need. above advice on width is on point. 4-6mm is what I use most. 1.5 - 2 for circuits.

So, what do I know. - 35 years of various hobbies inc RC racing, model warship combat, slot cars, oh and building my own radio gear and emergency grab and go kits for ARES as an Amateur radio operator - a lot of soldering.

Hope this helps. Have fun whatever you decide.

I have the Hakko FX 888D and love it.View attachment 162145
+1. Buy once cry once. I bought mine in 2016 and works great (knock on wood). You can get replacement/extra tips, plenty of power and heat.

Nothing Chinese here Hakko is a Japanese company, and all the US sales go through Hakko USA.

The lower power soldering irons/stations work well for small wires, like 20 awg and small terminals. But you will eventually need to solder something that's 12 awg or less and will want some more power. Even at 60W the Hakko struggles with 8 awg wires, that could also be me.

The Hakko and Xytronics stations are the standard of the industry. I have used them and, if taken care of, will last you for decades. The Weller is older tech and often not enough power - I have abandoned using mine. The great news is that there are great inexpensive choices today.

The solder -desolder station is desirable for taking apart circuits and such but prob not needed. That said, the one Wicked Fog showed is amazing. I have one. bought it to have a spare for a new electronics desk. It works great and I have been using it as my primary tool for 5+ years. use the heat gun rarely.

about 10 years ago, I got into racing and building 1/24 slot cars and you do a lot of soldering in the retro car divisions. One of the race suppliers - give credit to Rick Bennardo of RGEO products - suggested a cheap adjustable pencil to use at least for travel in my kit. the heat adjustment knob looked small and weak but I have had no trouble. link here:

https://www.amazon.com/LDK-Soldering-Adjustable-Temperature-Replacement/dp/B083L8BXRC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=soldering+pencil&qid=1679751520&sr=8-5&th=1

I have soldered fluxed stainless wire as well as circuit and motor wires with it and have noticed no difference from my expensive stations. I put it to the test as my only iron for slot car building and racing for 6 years at home and at races and it never failed.

BUT - you need good tips. it seems all these devices have good heat elements and the control circuits work well if not abused. heat transfer IS the key. tips on cheap irons fail rapidly or don't tin properly. On all the less expensive items, order HAKKO brand tips in the size you need. above advice on width is on point. 4-6mm is what I use most. 1.5 - 2 for circuits.

So, what do I know. - 35 years of various hobbies inc RC racing, model warship combat, slot cars, oh and building my own radio gear and emergency grab and go kits for ARES as an Amateur radio operator - a lot of soldering.

Hope this helps. Have fun whatever you decide.
Do you have the larger barrel for your 862D+? It's a game changer, and I wish I had known about them before now. If @Greywolf hadn't hooked me up with it I'd have been looking for a bigger iron to do larger stuff.

Back