Best 2wd Shortcourse truck Electric max 300dollar

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rccar4life

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
  5. Boating
Asking for my friend

he got brushless motor 3670 and 3s esc 80a servo 25kg. extra receiver for his dumbo radio

now he want buy one 2wd shourt course truck.
Less than 300dollars , he will install own electronics

i dont know anything about 2wd cars, so i could not help him
i promice him to ask in couple forums,

Only 2wd SCT I have is the Traxxas Slash that I upgraded to brushless. I like it on my dirt track. Plenty of room under hood to make upgrades.

If he doesn't mind 4WD, this is what he should get. I just ordered one the other day. On sale now.

Hope this helps.
Screenshot_20220704-124528_Chrome.jpg

Asking for my friend

he got brushless motor 3670 and 3s esc 80a servo 25kg. extra receiver for his dumbo radio

Losi 22S SCT and Traxxas Slash are the only two that come to mind new at that price. The ECX Torment and Ruckus are under his budget, but, I had nothing but issues with mine, so I don't really recommend them. Of the two I do recommend, the Slash has massive aftermarket and factory parts support, but the 22S seems to be more durable in my experience. However, I hammered on both the Slash and 22S, and anything that did break on either one was typically minor.

Losi 22 SCT must be better, more modern car than the old Slash ?

That Tekno must be avsome

Losi 22 SCT must be better, more modern car than the old Slash ?

That Tekno must be avsome
New doesn't always mean better, in my experience. The best 2WD SCT I ever owned was a way discontinued Arrma Fury. Set up right, it would run circles around both my Slash and my 22S. The Losi TLR 22SCT race kit, and the AE SC10 6.0 are both really good trucks, but, unless he buys them used, are way over what he is looking to spend. Same with Tekno. Awesome truck, but way, way over his budget, even used.

New doesn't always mean better, in my experience. The best 2WD SCT I ever owned was a way discontinued Arrma Fury. Set up right, it would run circles around both my Slash and my 22S. The Losi TLR 22SCT race kit, and the AE SC10 6.0 are both really good trucks, but, unless he buys them used, are way over what he is looking to spend. Same with Tekno. Awesome truck, but way, way over his budget, even used.
The Tekno SCT410.3 can be had for under three bills. FierceRC were selling them for $319, and a person could use $25 dollar coupon code... plus free shipping. ;) :thumbs-up:

EDIT: FierceRC just got a new shipment. They were sold out a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Asking for my friend

Just trying to put things into perspective...
That's one big honkin' can of a motor. 🤔
Begs to be put in a 4wd of some sort.
I'm assuming that's the size designation, and not kV. Yes?
If the motor is indeed a 3670 size can; 3S voltage is being supplied, on a lighter weight 2wd platform... eeeww weee, tearin' stuff up.:inpain::nailbiting:
My old 1/8 scale buggy was using a 2650kv 4268 (with fins) size can on 3S... pullin' 88 amps through ESC & motor.
I can only imagine trying shove a 3670 motor on a mid motor 2wd SCT, or having it hangin' off the backside of a rear motor 2wd SCT.

Anyways. I'll be curious to know what your friend picks up.

If he's set on a 2wd SCT, I'd go with the Slash. Running that big motor will destroy the transmission pretty quick though. Proline makes a pretty durable replacement.

thanks everyone

the motor he got is only 2700kv
He dont want it run too fast.

NEW INFO
He also got 4s 120a ESC, and the motor is 4s capable at max by instructions

And 4wd is okey also he says now.
Is there any great roller to 4s 2700kv ?

He dont want spend more than 350. this is max.

The idea is have a car about 500bucks total, he spend about 150bucks on electronics already.

So 350 max for one roller, 300bucks is better if possible.

Seen couple great 1/8 buggies , rollers electric. Like the Hobao Hyper Pro 1/8 buggy 300bucks roller, already build with clear body
And if you want rally or slash body this is not big deal fix, universal body mounts and new body.

He like have the wheels covered with lexan body to avoid snap a arms al time he says :wtf: :D

Started out "Best 2wd Shortcourse truck Electric max 300dollar". Blah, blah, blah. Now we're looking at 1/8 scale buggies, and 4S... 😆😎:thumbs-up:

The Tekno SCT410.3 can be had for under three bills. FierceRC were selling them for $319, and a person could use $25 dollar coupon code... plus free shipping. ;) :thumbs-up:

EDIT: FierceRC just got a new shipment. They were sold out a couple of days ago.
He asked for a 2WD originally, and the SCT410.3 is 4WD, which is why I didn't initially mention it.

I had arrma fury, incredible handling, but super flimsy and fragile, parts expensive, shocks super leaky. I didn't have super powerful system in mine, but with 3670 motor drivetrain explode first pack. Besides handling I think body durrable and I like how it looks like
thanks everyone

the motor he got is only 2700kv
He dont want it run too fast.

NEW INFO
He also got 4s 120a ESC, and the motor is 4s capable at max by instructions

And 4wd is okey also he says now.
Is there any great roller to 4s 2700kv ?

He dont want spend more than 350. this is max.

The idea is have a car about 500bucks total, he spend about 150bucks on electronics already.

So 350 max for one roller, 300bucks is better if possible.

Seen couple great 1/8 buggies , rollers electric. Like the Hobao Hyper Pro 1/8 buggy 300bucks roller, already build with clear body
And if you want rally or slash body this is not big deal fix, universal body mounts and new body.

He like have the wheels covered with lexan body to avoid snap a arms al time he says :wtf: :D
I don't know how the market is for used rcs, but the best handling short course I drove is team associated sc5m. I bought mine used 3 years ago for 220$, it came with savox 1258 servo, trinity 24k 17.5 motor, futaba 3pv radio and good associated battery. But I am not sure how it will handle so much power, especially if it has ball diff.

Slash is always a good option, drivetrain is solid, maybe you will have to upgrade to 32p spur and heavy duty shafts, but that's not too bad, 23$ for everything. Handling is not the best, especially with hcg chassis, and having such a heavy motor at the back will not help either.

I don't have tekno short course, I have 4wd 10 scale buggy but they are awesome, actually my b410 is the best handling rc car I have

Last edited:
I had arrma fury, incredible handling, but super flimsy and fragile, parts expensive, shocks super leaky. I didn't have super powerful system in mine, but with 3670 motor drivetrain explode first pack. Besides handling I think body durrable and I like how it looks like
It all depends. I had several of the 2WD Arrma's (Fury, Raider, Granite), and, with the right set up, even bashing, they were pretty durable. The only thing i ever seemed to break was the front bulkhead a couple times, but, mine also had an HPI Blitz ball diff, and Racers Edge Pro2 rear arms and CVD's. Unfortunately, i couldnt build another one that way if i wanted to, because, although parts are available for the 2WD Arrma's still, absolutely nothing is available for the RE trucks anymore, and nothing current will work with the Arrma rear set up.

The Slash is a tried and true platform, used to build many, many different types of RC cars and trucks. Drag, dirt track, off road, monster trucks, etc. And you can buy it as a kit for $199. All you need is a battery. This is the 2wd version by the way.

Granted, this would be the entry level Slash. But the amount of upgrades available for the Slash is pretty mind boggling. With the extra $150 he could buy some RPM arms, better shocks, better driveshafts, or whatever. I recommend the RPM arms and rear bumper mount at least, and would probably go for some decent rear shocks with what's left. Oh, and I'd probably grab the LCG chassis while I was at it.

I meant to add, the Tekno would be the best choice here, but at $350 budget, it won't work. You would still need to buy wheels, tires, body, servo, and radio system.

Last edited:
I like my LCG 2wd Slash. With good shock and suspension tuning it handles well. It's a fun truck to drive and I can always get parts for it if need be.

The Slash is a tried and true platform, used to build many, many different types of RC cars and trucks. Drag, dirt track, off road, monster trucks, etc. And you can buy it as a kit for $199. All you need is a battery. This is the 2wd version by the way.

Granted, this would be the entry level Slash. But the amount of upgrades available for the Slash is pretty mind boggling. With the extra $150 he could buy some RPM arms, better shocks, better driveshafts, or whatever. I recommend the RPM arms and rear bumper mount at least, and would probably go for some decent rear shocks with what's left. Oh, and I'd probably grab the LCG chassis while I was at it.

I meant to add, the Tekno would be the best choice here, but at $350 budget, it won't work. You would still need to buy wheels, tires, body, servo, and radio system.
I am not a big fan of rpm arms and parts, yes they are super durrable but because of extra flex it's easier to bend shocks shafts or pop shock caps.

Lcg chassis is probably the best upgrade, other weak point on 2wd lineup are caster blocks and hub carriers. Even if I break one I replace it with original, I don't feel like spending 20 or 30 for aluminum, but if someone can afford i would suggest original Traxxas. They are expensive but they fit well, and don't change steering geometry. Heavy duty plastic shafts hold good even in my custom 1/7 scale stampede

Screenshot_20220812-210618.png

Screenshot_20220812-210732.png

Back