Beginner's Q's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just painted my first body tonight. It turned out pretty good in my opinion but I had a few issues. I taped off some stripes, well what happened was I had some bleed through around the curves of the body. I thought I pushed the tape down pretty good. Are there any tricks to getting the curves taped real good? And are the window masks that come with the body no good to use? All of them started peeling up and I started getting paint on the windows. A little help would be greatly apreciated.

First off, clean the surface well of debris, lint, fingerprints, etc. I use the Isopropyl pads. You can also use denatured alcohol. Washing it with dishwashing soap is fine as well. Just make sure it's dry.

Press down the tape very well. As you do this, you'll be able to see on the other side if it has good contact. Do the same for the windows. As an added measure, I use a hairdryer to heat it and rub it down again. This will make a better contact and have cleaner lines. Don't rush it, take your time. That's the difference between a good masking job and a frustration in the end.

SHould I let the tape sit for a little bit before I start spraying or does that matter at all?

doesn't matter. I like to use the blue painters tape. It comes off easier.

Yeah the blue painters tape is also more flexable and easier to work with. Also another option is to try some liquid mask. The stuff is awesome and wont give ya the bleed effect. Ya should post up some pics of your latest paintjob. Id like to take a peek!

Latest paint jobs are all pretty thrashed from the last race I attended, but it still looks good. Maybe tomorrow ...

I was talkin about breezy's..lol. Sorry bro. But I wanna see yours too, Dont want ya to feel left out... :)

Cleaning the body is DEFINITALLY one of the main steps that you have to do. That really sounds like the problem that you had. Everything should stick fine. Please post some pics, so we can help ya out :D

I will post some picks tomorrow. I can't do it from the pc I am at now. All of the help is greatly appreciated.

Here are the pictures of the body I painted. I hope they work. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG