Beginner looking for a good all around truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZAD

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have bee looking for a RC that I can run in short grass, pavement, off road park type environments. I had been looking into nitro trucks but more I research them the more I shy away from them. Then when I talked to a guy at the hobby shop he said that nitro may not be the best idea. Especially if i want something I can run at lunch or quickly after work. He recommended the Stampede 4x4 vxl said it would meet the bill quite well. I looked at it and it seems pretty well built. Does anyone have any thoughts on these trucks or any other ones I should look at in the same class?

thank you for the help, new at this hobby

Andrew

The slash 4x4 is a good tough truck. The stampede is a pretty good truck. I would recommend the slash 4x4 vxl. It can jump,bash and still very fast

Your guy at the LHS has a good suggestion as the Stampede 4x4 has a high ground clearance and will get you thru most bashing situations you described. The Slash(while popular) will probably overheat in grassy type conditions due to the extra force needed to move such a LCG truck thru those conditions. The pede or even bigger with a Revo or Savage flux. Any of them you can't go wrong with and the aftermarket support is endless for all 3 rigs.

The 'pede 4X4 is a decent rig with good aftermarket support. It would be a good rig to start out with and is a great basher. If the hobby shop guys recommended it, that means they'll have a lot of replacement parts there so you won't have to wait for a lot of them.

thank you much guys, I going to try and make it over to the hobby shop and pick up that stampede.

P.S. Phins Fans do you have any good shops in MA I'm just south in NE CT.

Andrew

thank you much guys, I going to try and make it over to the hobby shop and pick up that stampede.

P.S. Phins Fans do you have any good shops in MA I'm just south in NE CT.

Andrew

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I live down in Berlin, CT, and every once in a while, when I can manage it, I head up to RC Madness in Enfield. I don't know how far you are from Enfield, but it's a really good place.

you get what you pay for!

i like the revo platform rc's from traxxas.

revo 3.3
e-revo (brushed or brushless)
summit
sc slash pro 3.3

the reason i thinck the revo platform is better is becase the shocks are inside the chassis not just hanging out there in the wind!
seen alot of buddies that couldn't finish the day becase they crashed and tore off the shocks.:first_place:revo platform

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I live down in Berlin, CT, and every once in a while, when I can manage it, I head up to RC Madness in Enfield. I don't know how far you are from Enfield, but it's a really good place.

thanks towboss, that is the place that recommended the stampeded 4x4 vxl. I'm over in Brooklyn so its an hour plus for me to get there but you are right they have alot of inventory and the people there seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. Hopefully going to be headed there this week, barring there is no major damage with this storm today/ tuesday.

thanks
Andrew

Your guy at the LHS has a good suggestion as the Stampede 4x4 has a high ground clearance and will get you thru most bashing situations you described. The Slash(while popular) will probably overheat in grassy type conditions due to the extra force needed to move such a LCG truck thru those conditions. The pede or even bigger with a Revo or Savage flux. Any of them you can't go wrong with and the aftermarket support is endless for all 3 rigs.

I agree, the Stampede will do just fine in grass and the VXL will give you great speed on-road as well. Certainly a good truck for getting into the hobby.

thanks for the input, sure looks like the one, with the amount of add ons etc. I hope I'm able to keep up with my father inlaws slash with the vxl motor :)

Andrew

I head there on the occasional Wednesday for open practice. I actually got bitten by the crawler bug and come spring I will probably be there every Tuesday and Sunday. Tuesday is crawler night and Sunday is scaler. Both days have a great group of guys to hang around with