Been out of the hobby for a while Need Advise!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnzoFerrari

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok i've been out of the hobby for a while know i want another 1/10 touring car. What are your opinions on the Serpent 705, Mugen MTX3, Yokomo, Or NTC3? (this wasn't out yet when i was racing)

Basically i'm looking for the best racing car.
Which one would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks Guys

I dont no much about the other cars, but here is my 2 cents on the ntc3. I have herd a lot of people use them and they really like them. The ntc3 is completley upgradable. There are tons of upgrades and hop ups that you can do to it. It handles wonderfully and it can be very competative. Most companies support it also. Make sure that you check you lhs to see what parts they stock for what car. There is my 2 cents for ya.

I just purchased the Mugen MTX-3 about 4 months ago. I bought it just for racing. I like the way the car is setup and if u get the Nova MT-12 engine it's awesome. Alot of people have the NTC3 on this forum. It's a very good car for racing, but I think they made their choice because the price tag on the MTX-3 is about 150-200 dollars higher than the NTC3. The serpent is also a great choice. It's all up to what ur willing to spend.

Well the price depends on the kit you pickup and what options. Easily I have a grand into my NTC-3, and that was before the first drop of fuel.

If you are planning on racing, I would go to the tracks you will race at first and foremost. Depending on the track grade, groove and agility requirements, you will see the cars of choice. From track to track, certain cars will be better too. So go there and see what they have.

The Serpents are one of my favorites, yet pricey. I drove a couple of them and liked them a lot. However, to get into it the way I wanted to, I was looking at around 1,500 dollars. At the time, I wasn't looking to go that high.

I dont race for trophies or cash so my opinions are more irrelevant than most. I can however tell you that my NTC-3 handles like a dream and is fast as all hell. I run with a Mugen MT-12 bighead combined with the AE 2 speed.

Then you have the whole belt vs. shaft. To me, they are both equally good with the belt being more prone to stone failures. Nothing that would prevent you from buying one though.

Christian- I heard that the Yokomo gt-4 was illegal to race roar sanction. Is this correct?

Originally posted by EnzoFerrari
Ok i've been out of the hobby for a while know i want another 1/10 touring car. What are your opinions on the Serpent 705, Mugen MTX3, Yokomo, Or NTC3? (this wasn't out yet when i was racing)

Basically i'm looking for the best racing car.
Which one would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks Guys

All nice cars if ya ask me. I vaguely remember reading something about Yokomo not being R.O.A.R. legal or something. Most folk I know that race touring have the NTC3.

EB

Money isn't an issue. I still kept my 3PJ pcm radio so all i need is a car and engine. I have a spare novarossi .12 but i'll like to still kept it spare(i've been trying different porting tricks to it)

I'd like to get a car that doesn't need upgrading. Good cars should have everything(almost anyway) included.

I've noticed this forum really pushes the NTC3. Is the car that good? I mean compared to a serpent/mugen/Yokomo?

Again i don't mind paying extra, i just want a great car...
I realize the NTC3 is great for the money.

Are you planning on racing sanctioned races?

The Yokomo Is it illegal do to the fact the kit comes with a .18? Would it be legal with a ROAR apprvd .12?

The mugen and serpent are the top two on my list for racing with minimal needed hop-up parts.

The kit version of the NTC3 doesn't need anything to be a competitive racer. If you are looking at shaft drive, then it would be the way to go. This car has done very well at the national level.

If you want belts, then the serpent is a very fine car indeed. I would also look at the Trinity Reflex Team. Sweet car, no hop ups needed, all included.

Originally posted by nitro dave
The kit version of the NTC3 doesn't need anything to be a competitive racer.This car has done very well at the national level.

At national levels-they are fully hopped-up.

Get the MTX-3 or the Serpent 705. Those are race ready right out of the box. A Novarossi or Sirio Mill will get you up to speed if you know what I mean.

what about the NTC3 Team kit?

I'd like to get a car that doesn't need upgrading. Good cars should have everything (almost anyway) included.

This reply was originally intended as a joke. I realized after I got done writing it that its so close to the truth that its actually funny in a way. Apply toungue-in-cheek as necessary.

You get to your local track with your ultimate, already upgraded for all time touring car. You see some guy with the same car (he got his a week before you). Hes got aluminum this or that, bearings in places you never thought of, and his custom shell is looking trick compared top your stock body. When you race him, he beats the pants off of you. He has third party suspension and chassis upgrades from companies you never even heard of. Where did he get those tires? All this freaks you out totally. You didn't consider that they invent stuff all the time and theres new upgrades for your car since last week. You check out your now-obsolete, upgraded steering servo and you break into a cold sweat. You begin to mumble as you check your wallet for available cash.

Next thing, you're at the hobby shop with the owner eating greenbacks out of your wallet like it was a feed bag. You're buying shocks, springs, sway bars, stabilizers, belt tensioner ugrades, titanium screw sets, fancy hex tools, and a new set of tires. You blow like $200.00 the first day. Next week they will invent more stuff, and your new rival is gonna show up with it first unless you act quickly. You can't drive by the hobby shop without stopping in. The vicious cycle continues ...

EB

you pegged it!!!! Isn't this hobby grand!

I've noticed this forum really pushes the NTC3. Is the car that good? I mean compared to a serpent/mugen/Yokomo?

Yeah. Associated makes really good cars. World cup winning stuff like thoise other companies do. The NTC3 is affordable, easy to repair, easy to get parts for and is a proven touring car able to compete with other cars in it's class.

EB

Yeah Elburro, i know what your saying...
Racing is very competive and there's always someone faster, and everyone will go and copy his setup.
What i meant to say was i wanted a car that's race ready out of the box. I'm leaning towards the serpent/mugen.

I would more likely lean toward Kyosho and Mugen. I have owned both before, I really like those two company more than all the other in the market. You should look into the Kyosho V-1 RR evo, one of the newest car kyosho came out with. I also have a V 1 RR for sale, a roller if your interested in it, it's my last car to sell, I have retired from the hobby about a month or 2 ago. I'm willing to let it go for about 150, let me know if your interested. The gt-4 and ntc3 are the bit fragile... Yokomo and Ae use to be the the same company, untill the splited like Jaco and Proline. I owned the Gt-4 W, like the RTR, however it was a kit. After I finished building it, I can see the bad parts, flaws you can say and decided to sell it before I ran it. I also owned the FT Elec. TC3, I was snapping arms like nothing with that car, I was starting to get scare of getting too close to the inner corner during the race. That just my .02 it's really up to you......:dance:

Yeah Elburro, i know what your saying...
Racing is very competive and there's always someone faster, and everyone will go and copy his setup.
What i meant to say was i wanted a car that's race ready out of the box. I'm leaning towards the serpent/mugen.

Though Serpent and Mugen isn;t very common in my neck of the woods, Serpent is definitely more popular. I see more Serperents than Mugens.

EB

Back