Bead locks on 6S?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More_Power

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Reaction score
So my 6S VXL slash 4x4 shredded the tires. At 70+ mph. I don’t want to have to keep buying rims when it’s time to replace tires. So my question is, can anyone recommend some decent headlocks? I prefer aluminum since the Hexs are aluminum. I’m currently running 2.8s, and am not opposed to going down to 2.2S. But don’t want to go any bigger than 2.8-3.0s.

74101B39-171E-4196-A41A-0E24DABB4475.jpeg

Why are you buying new wheels each time you need to replaces tires? Simply boil the old worn tires off the rims and install new ones. Good to go!

If you're doing speed runs Id recommend getting a set of proline hex adapters so you can run GRP onroad tires with 17mm hexes. Not sure if thats what you're doing but if it is thats what I would suggest.

Why are you buying new wheels each time you need to replaces tires? Simply boil the old worn tires off the rims and install new ones. Good to go!
I’ve never heard of this. I’ve always assumed that when the tire is junk, the rim is trash with glued on tires.
If you're doing speed runs Id recommend getting a set of proline hex adapters so you can run GRP onroad tires with 17mm hexes. Not sure if thats what you're doing but if it is thats what I would suggest.
I’m running standard 12mm hexs. With the cross pin and clamp screw. But the hex is also aluminum as well. It’s not a dedicated speed runner though. But it does spend about 75% of its time on concrete/pavement. The rest of the time it’s on grass/dirt/clay.

Some people bake them and some people boil them. I've never tried boiling but baking works fairly well. Generally speaking though unless they are some sort of discontinued or expensive wheels I usually just buy new one cuz I'm lazy lol

All the wheels and tires I have are stock traxxas tires. My 2wd slash is running the stock slash VXL wheels/tires. My 6S slash 4wd was running stock revo or stock stampeed tires

Some of those aluminum beadlock rims have so many bolts they take a couple of hours to change the tires. Major hand cramps even if your using an electric driver. But they look amazing.

Some of those aluminum beadlock rims have so many bolts they take a couple of hours to change the tires. Major hand cramps even if your using an electric driver. But they look amazing.

move heard though that they are unbalanced especially for the wheel speeds the truck is capable of. Plus there is the weight issue of aluminum. Personally I’m not concerned about weight; with 2 3S lipos, the VXL6S ESC (it’s huge compared to the 3S esc) and the VXL 2,200KV motor, the truck is at least double the weight it was before the power system upgrade. With the revo wheels and tires, I can see the vibrations in the front and rear drive train from the plastic rim flexing and the combined slop from the bearing carriers being plastic and the A arms being plastic. And that concerns me. The flex and vibes are going to cause the diff to fail and damage my spur gear/pinion shaft and/or gear.

I would love to cut weight, but not at the sacrifice of drive train stability, strength, and overall stiffness of the truck.

Back