Battle of the Radios!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitFireV12RR

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,

I'm ready to upgrade my radio(when I get the money). I've been reading all this info and I'm really looking into 3 radio/recever combos. Battery packs aren't an issue as I have Rechargable AAs.

I was looking at the following : Airtronics M-3S, JR XR3i, and the Hitec CRX. I've found good reports on all but the CRX. Are there any others you can recommend? The M-3 runs about $170ish at my LHS, the XR3i $140ish, and the Hitec about $180ish. I really don't want to go over $200 and I don't want servos(I'm getting Hitec ones.).

Thanks for help in advanced,
Todd Jarolimek

Hey,

Get a "dry" ex-10 Helios...you can find 'em for less than 200 then just save a little to get a spektrum setup. :) J/K...I'd say look around on the online stores and good ole ebay. Also, take a look at the futaba 3PM...greatt little radio (i'd say it's between the MX3 and the 3PM) I've also heard good things about the JR one, but i've never used it so i can't give my views on that one. Too bad, I just sold mine to some unappreciative "individual" for $80 and he got the futaba recharger, 3PM, 133f rx, and FSU-2 failsafe..i just didn't need it anymore. Good luck

I have the MX3-S and I really like it a lot. It was a good upgrade at the time and is useful for bashing and beginning racing. I most likely go to a Sensor or Spektrum system if I stick with all out racing, but for now, I have no regrets about the MX3-S. I really like the fact that I can just drop another JR310 Rx in any new car I buy and I am up and running in about 10 minutes after a couple of inputs to teh model memory. That and I do not have worry about changing crystals when I go to the track.

Actually, the M-3S is $190 at my LHS...thats sorta pushing it. Any good reports on the CRX or JR? If need be, I'll go with the M-3S. I just can't find one without servos(That adds like $20!)!

Revo Rancher said:
Todd, buy this and I will buy the two servos off of you for 20.00.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPZ4&P=0

I can also get the same radio and set out here for the same price in case you do not want to deal with Tower.

Lol...you're so nice. I will do that, sir(When I get the money :whip:). I think I'll keep the servos as back ups...wouldn't hurt I guess, right? Just incase I have another freak accident.

SpitFireV12RR said:
Just incase I have another freak accident.

What would that be.............You being born? J/K

I used a Futaba 3Pm for a while and liked but got tired of crystals. Switched to the JR XS3i for the synth. At the time I bought it I paid $189 and it came with a second receiver and the servos. Had someone in the pits get on my channel even when they said they weren't on FM (I proved him wrong by ruining his race day!) and sold the JR and picked up a nice used M8 with Spektrum.

I say it's a toss up between the MX-3S and the Hitec. I have the SRX setup. It's compatable with the Spektrum if you later want to upgrade.

Spit, I had the JR XR3i and absolutely loved it! You can program 4 different rigs into it, which makes it convenient and the price is right. I got a M-3 through Zandor when I bought his Savage and likes it too, and it can hold 5 rigs in memory.

Right now I have a 3PK with Spektrum, and that really is the cats ass, but I'm thinking it's a tad North of your budget right now. I will say, if the 3PM is anything like the 3PK, that'd be my choice.

If you can find the XR3i cheaper than the rest, I'd go with that set-up. It'll hold you for quite a long time, man.

Good luck!

Todd, you could buy my 75mhz Backlite Airtronics M8 with 1 set of crystals and two 3 channel recievers for $200 shipped.

Much more feature packed radio then all you have listed.

Well...I can get a JR XR3i for $140 w/ reciever and one servo(I think) for $140. Everything else is in the $190s, including the 3PM. Untchbl, Thanks for the offer, but I don't need an M8. I think I'm going with the JR. Its the cheapest and looks pretty good. Now I just have to get some moolah!

Have you invested in a Failsafe yet? Any radio is capable of a run-away, but if you have a failsafe on it, you're much more protected.

Also, I'd install a Throttle return spring just for an added insurance.

Don't forget those.

Back