Basic terminology Q's.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo Rancher

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am setting up my wife's TC3 with the new Novak GTB 5.5 brushless system.

I want to customize some of the settings and I am not 100% sure I understand the terminology.

Drag brake: Is that an effect kind of like backpressure or downshifting such as in a 1:1 car?

Dead span: I give up. What is it?

Minimum drive: Instructions give a set of low numbers, mainly 2's and 3's. What is it?

Drive frequency: Instructions give a set of numbres from 2.5 to 7.5. What are these?

Thanks for helping an electric newbie!

I dont know any for sure but I belive dead span is... when have far you have to more the trigger to get any reaction from the motor... So you would have a little "play" in the trigger.

I don't run electric, but I'll hazard a guess at a few.
Drag brake. Probably like on a nitro. It's when you set the throttle/brake to give just a little braking at neutral on the throttle pull.
Dead span. Big guess here, but I'd guess it's like throttle deadband on a nitro. It's that gap in response between brake and throttle. If you look at your nitro, there's actually a little bit of servo movement around neutral that really does nothing. That's the throttle deadband. I'm guessing we're looking at the same thing.
Hopefully one of our better educated brushless gurus will chime in to set the record straight.

As a previous owner of two brushless rc's all I can say is :shrug: The Minimum drive, and Drive frequency are new to me. The one's I had gave a description of what each of the 6 settings did.

Sorry guys. I guess I shold have done a Google for Novak first. I did a search on RCNT and only found drag brakes settings described, but not what it was for.

BUT, now I have the answers. Great find! With more and more people going brushless in cars, this is a good resource.

I use all brushless in my two planes, but the throttle settings are all different. In fact, there is no deadband needed (no reverse or braking), although my Airtronics VG 6000 allows it to be programmed. It must be for nitro powered planes or something.

Revo Rancher said:
Sorry guys. I guess I shold have done a Google for Novak first.

Your demoted!
You need to give your avatar a haircut and we can call it even.

Heck, give chicken little a haircut?!? OK.

I did find out that the frequency setting stage is skipped if you are using the ESC for a brushless motor (ESC handles both). The rest I programmed, ut it is too dark out now for me to see what kind of performance I am having.

Thanks again for all the help.

Back