Balls, to lube or not to lube

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I recently got a 1/5 Arrma Outcast EXB roller. Installed the Castle XLX2 and 1100kv combo. Been bashing it for a few weeks and so far I really like it. Seems tough. Not Xmaxx tough, but not bad either. Broke a front control arm on a bad landing and am in the middle of replacing it. I'm somewhat new to Arrma and have never seen the type of front steering blocks they use with the pivot balls and adjustable outer cups. Do any of you lube the pivot balls? If so, what are you using?

I've had a few rc with what's called pillow balls never lubed any

I did on my USGT car but then read where that is a bad idea that it collects dirt and causes wear and makes them easier to pop off during a crash.

I use dry film lubricant (graphite) on the moving parts of my RC's. I don't like the ball links that have the plastic cup that snap over the ball, unless it's on a lightweight RC like my 2wd buggies. I usually replace these with a regular link end with a screw through them.

Last edited:
If you use anything, only use graphite lube, it's a dry lube and wont attract and hold dirt. Any type of grease will turn into a grinding paste when it gets infused with dirt and do more harm than good

I was considering a graphite type lube. Thank you for the suggestions.

Back