Back yard race track made of snow.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking about when it snows. I have a little patch of a back yard and last year I tried to make a race track with the snow blower.

The SCT did not work at all and a fast rock crawler was pretty fun. Till it got a foot deep.

Making a path did not work out last year. I could not see the truck at all. And the dogs left “problems” for me to deal with.

I’m thinking about making a track this year. But moving all the snow out of the center. Like a giant bowl with trees in it.

Kinda hard to build up a base with a snow blower. They want to dig to the bottom. But I can do some hand work to make it drivable.

We don’t get consistent cold. So I can’t build up a base with ice. It would be fun to drift a 6x6 around an ice rink.

Probably have to just go to the center and circle my way out blowing the snow toward the fence building up a bank. Then as it snows I can use the new snow as a base a pack it down. I have snow shoes I can use to stomp the snow down.

This is a video I made last year. You can just see the path off to the left. I made a two pass wide path blowing the snow toward the center forming a mountain. That turned out to be a mess.

Nice setup you have there. Making the most out of the weather.

Got a nice delivery of building material last night. It has been pretty regular and on Friday so I can work on the track Saturday.

Getting some nice retaining wall height .

Attachments

• B1BDA919-349E-458B-A987-2A61D2F459BF.jpeg
    B1BDA919-349E-458B-A987-2A61D2F459BF.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 67205794-4B9A-4D17-8CC2-3483E445173F.jpeg
    67205794-4B9A-4D17-8CC2-3483E445173F.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 44
  • BD3116A4-5E87-452A-8DF9-E128815A9581.jpeg
    BD3116A4-5E87-452A-8DF9-E128815A9581.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 40
I broke my shoulder a couple years ago and had to buy a snow blower. I used to just use a shovel

Ouch! Understandable, I don't think I could shovel snow any more. I used to shovel our driveway then go to my Grandparents house and shovel their driveway, and sometimes throw in the nextdoor neighbors just because. Pretty sure I would have a freakin' coronary if I tried that now.

Got a nice delivery of building material last night. It has been pretty regular and on Friday so I can work on the track Saturday.

Getting some nice retaining wall height .
You need to hang a bunch of race banners along the fence 😉 🏁
Ouch! Understandable, I don't think I could shovel snow any more. I used to shovel our driveway then go to my Grandparents house and shovel their driveway, and sometimes throw in the nextdoor neighbors just because. Pretty sure I would have a freakin' coronary if I tried that now.
Don't even try it, D! We don't want to find a Doomsicle in the driveway 😂

Last edited:
Ssssssss. Not so fast . Mama likes the yard all clears for the dogs and so she can feed the birds.
Next year when the grass grows back. The race track will show up. So then I’ll have to re seed. Using different type of grass I can keep the track layout.
I’ll have a grandstand down the back stretch before she knows it.

Just got more snow but it wet and to warm this late n the season.
I’m going to say this year snow track was a partial failure. Not a total failure because I learned stuff.

Snow blowers are designed to move all the snow down the the ground.
On a grass yard this stripped all the thatching out of the grass and leaves the grass roots exposed to the extreme cold. So I probably killed the grass in a giant oval. I can replant the grass east enough. And it was not good grass just green broad leaf so it will be fine.

So how do you make a race track in the winter snow???

I think the biggest goal of building the track it to have a barrier around the track.
And to have a smooth clear path to drive on.

What I did with the snow blower made that very well.
But after driving a race car around the car was packed with wet dead grass and ice.

Took longer to clean than I spent racing. So what next?

For next year I think packing the snow is the answer. Maybe a roller or some sort of thing I can drag to flatten the snow.
Don’t want to pour water and make ice.

Just want to pack a hard snow base about four inches thick.

Next year will be better.

Just thinking about when it snows. I have a little patch of a back yard and last year I tried to make a race track with the snow blower.

The SCT did not work at all and a fast rock crawler was pretty fun. Till it got a foot deep.

Making a path did not work out last year. I could not see the truck at all. And the dogs left “problems” for me to deal with.

I’m thinking about making a track this year. But moving all the snow out of the center. Like a giant bowl with trees in it.

Kinda hard to build up a base with a snow blower. They want to dig to the bottom. But I can do some hand work to make it drivable.

We don’t get consistent cold. So I can’t build up a base with ice. It would be fun to drift a 6x6 around an ice rink.

Probably have to just go to the center and circle my way out blowing the snow toward the fence building up a bank. Then as it snows I can use the new snow as a base a pack it down. I have snow shoes I can use to stomp the snow down.

This is a video I made last year. You can just see the path off to the left. I made a two pass wide path blowing the snow toward the center forming a mountain. That turned out to be a mess.

Oooooh ! Like your idea. In my younger days, used to do Winter Scenario Paintball with a custom PHANTOM. Today, my fingers get numbed with cold and I loose fine vehicle control when the temp gets lower than Twenty Degrees Below Zero 🥶 A lot of colleges ( including my Almamater Michigan Tech ) have ice sculptures competitions during their WINTER CARNIVALS. In the day, Tech would get well over 250 inches of lake-effect snow. Lost two R/C planes to these deep drifts. YouTube up PIX and VIDS of this chilly stuff. You might get some ideas for ICE-CRAWLING course obstacles that use low kinetic energy, low entropy, dihydrogen monoxide ( frozen water ). One last bit of weirdness. During WW1 and WW2 people experimented with building cargo transport vessel hulls out of ICE. Imagine now an R/C Crawler frame and body shell made out of ICE. Doing it with a boiler powered steam engine would be kind of tricky 🤪

Last edited:
Back